• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

"Lima Time" Ends Far Too Soon

A shocker in the baseball world.

Longtime pitcher Jose Lima, who had good moments with several teams including the Dodgers, is dead.

Former Major League pitcher Jose Lima died of a massive heart attack at his California home early Sunday morning. He was 37.
    Lima's wife, Dorca Astacio, told ESPN Deportes' Enrique Rojas that she thought Lima was having nightmares, so she called the paramedics, but their efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.
    According to Astacio, Lima was not experiencing any health problems prior to the heart attack.
    Lima, a native of the Dominican Republic, pitched in the Major Leagues for 13 seasons, from 1994-2006. After breaking into the big leagues with the Tigers in 1994, Lima went on to compile an 89-102 career record to go with a 5.26 ERA. His best season came in 1999 as a member of the potent Houston Astros rotation. Lima posted a 21-10 record that season, along with a 3.58 ERA.
    Full article at mlb.com.

I am sure that Dodger fans will remember 2004, and the five-hit shutout he tossed for the Dodger first playoff win in 16 years.

Flags are flying at half-staff at Dodger Stadium for today's game.

"Lima Time" indeed. RIP, Jose.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 05-23-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Re: "Lima Time" Ends Far Too Soon

Very sad. Here's my Lima Time story:

The Royals picked him up from the Independent League back in 2003. We were on top of the divsion, but struggling a bit, particually in the rotation. Lima just inserted a ton of energy into the team when he arrived. He absolutely sparkled. Went 8-3 with a 4.91. Not to mention his famous "Lima Time" antics, became a fan-favorite. He didn't fare as well when he returned to KC in 2005, but always stayed the same.

Defiantly the kind of guy who you hated as an opposing player, but someone you would love if he were on your team. Love him or hate him, we just lost one of the true characters of the game.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

He certainly was a favorite in 2004, the year he played in LA. He won 13 games that season, and captured the city's imagination one night in October. He tossed a five-hit shutout at home against St Louis, the Dodgers first playoff win in 16 years at that time.

Vin Scully, Charley and Rick have all commented about how good it was to see him, when he showed up at the stadium Friday night. He also knew a few Tigers folk since he pitched for them too.

Word is that he was just about to open a baseball academy in the LA area.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Jose & I were good friends when he played for Detroit. He was a nut, but a really great guy. He'd always sign a ton of autographs for fans (always borrowing my Sharpie in the process). I felt sick to my stomach when I read the news earlier.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Shocking. One of the true personalities in baseball in an age where that type of player is hard to find

• Goofy

Rip. a sad day for baseball and dodger fans.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    Rip. a sad day for baseball and dodger fans.
    Not to sounds callous, but he was with the Dodgers for one year after a long and sucessful career. He was there many years with Detroit but I always remember him as an Astro. But you are right, it is a sad day for baseball fans. Lima was fun on and off the field, kinda rare today.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm still in shock. I have so many memories of chatting with him at games at Tiger Stadium. One year he was part of a player caravan that toured the state to meet & greet fans. Jose gave me a BIG hug when he saw me. Got my photo with him after the event & we hung out for awhile just chatting & making jokes. He was truly one of a kind.

• Circle of Ancients

God I love Vin Scully. There is truly nobody better. A nice little tribute from Vin.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | DET@LAD: Scully pays homage to Lima - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia