Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Hard Times Ahead For USC

As a Trojan, I can say that the sanctions that have come down are pretty harsh. Unfortunately that "lack of institutional control" seems to have become a catch-all term like that of "irreconcilable differences" when it comes to divorce.

How much is a university expected to be responsible for? Every student on every roster on every sports team.....and their parents?

Apparently so. Now. That's why we're seeing several other major teams scrambling to clean up their own business at schools across the country. They're seeing that they have to cover ALL the bases too, including those things that aren't happening on campus.

All a fallout from the USC sanctions. Thank you, USC, for taking the fall. Now we can clean ourselves up before we get nailed too.

Hardly lets USC off the hook, I know, but certainly shows it's a problem across the country, and not just the problem of one rogue university as SC has been painted as being by our adversaries.

USC will come through this though, and with our new AD and president has already started the ball rolling.

Our former president, in 20 years, succeeded in bringing USC into even more recognizable academic prominence (rankings-wise), and our froshies are scoring as well as (if not better than) UCLA froshies on entrance exams. And USC is as competitive as UCLA when it comes to admissions.

USC is riding a wave of success in academics, and now with a Rhodes Scholar at the helm of our AD, looking for good things in the athletic department too.

In closing I must also address the "University of Spoiled Children" moniker.
    USC is anything but. That has become a stereotyped-driven label that really isn't valid.

A good percentage of the kids at USC are there on scholarships (athletic or academic) or loans.

Are there rich kids at USC? Yes. But there are just as many at UCLA I have little or no doubt. In fact, I recently read that the average income of parents at both universities is virtually the same. At or around $70,000 per year. By comparison, Stanford is $110,000.

As for $50,000 cars at USC? They're there, yes. But a friend of mine who attended USC almost 30 years ago said he saw more expensive cars at UCLA than he saw at USC.

And as a sidenote, I can tell you that spending the amount of time I do on the Southern California freeway system to and from work, I see way more $50,000+ cars with UCLA Alumni on them than I do with USC Alumni on them.

So all the things people love to hate about USC, really aren't there.

A bunch of spoiled kids? Not as many as you think. And just as many at our crosstown rival. UCLA just doesn't want you to know that. It will hurt their demonization of USC.
    Arrogant? Only to the degree of having school pride and love for our sports team. Don't all schools have that? Funny how it seems like school pride at USC is deemed arrogant, but at other schools, it's just school pride.

Add to that, a university that was lauded a few years back for its work in the local community surrounding the campus (a community that UCLA Bruins like to make fun of....curious coming from the students of a liberal university like UCLA) and has a diversity that I don't think our rival can boast.

When I entered USC I had heard that same stereotypical image of the school. And it was all based on that....things I had heard. Then I attended the university and realized the truths, and how all those stereotypes really aren't valid.

So you can believe a USC Trojan who has experienced life at Troy, or you can listen to our biased adversaries who are only going off what they've heard. : )

Okay, my commercial for USC is over!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post

And as a sidenote, I can tell you that spending the amount of time I do on the Southern California freeway system to and from work, I see way more $50,000+ cars with UCLA Alumni on them than I do with USC Alumni on them.

Well that should tell you that UCLA grads do better then.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post
    Well that should tell you that UCLA grads do better then.
    Or maybe it's just that some Bruins have something to prove to themselves (and others), while Trojans don't. Who knows?

My posting was simply meant to show that there is more to USC than the stereotype, and that USC really isn't what a lot of people think it is.

It also was meant to question people who label others as "spoiled," but then go out and drive $50,000 cars themselves. Sort of a conflict in messages. And sort of laughable.

If hurling additional cheap shots in response though makes people feel better about themselves, more power to them.

We Trojans are used to it. We had to deal with Bruin animosity for 4 years...and continue to do so. It's nothing new.

• Rock Star Minion

Meh. Your post simply tried to put USC on the same level as UCLA. Success!
    It's this immature pettiness that makes the rest of LA cringe at having to interact with people from either school.

What Bush did is apparently what every top prospect is asked to do, as we see with Alabama and UNC. I have no doubt that every single potential future first-round pick, and probably every one for the past three years or so, was asked to take money now from an agent -- in some way, shape or form -- in return for future consideration, i.e., sign with the agent when it is officially allowed. A number of things can happen:
    1. Athlete refuses to take money. So, agent is off to the next athlete.
    2. Athlete takes money, signs with agent. No one gets wind of it.
    3. Athlete takes money, signs with some other agent. Agent leaks transaction. School gets punished.
    4. Athlete takes money, flaunts it. Someone catches wind of it. Eventually, school gets punished.
    (Not a complete list.)

So, top prospects shall be kept under lock and key at school until drafted. That is the conclusion I draw from this. And, this sucks. Agent is actually at odds with the university, since the faster the athlete leaves, the faster he gets his hoped-for commission. It is to his advantage to screw the school. This is completely different from the rogue alumnus who supplies a no-show job, to keep the athlete at the school and happy.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

What also tans my hide about this is the idea that the Bush situation resulted from a lax environment at USC. Nonsense. This wannabe agent was a childhood buddy of Reggie Bush's stepfather, who sought to exploit that personal relationship. There was no way USC could have ever implemented any sort of policy that would have prevented such access. Friends of the athletes' parents will always have access to the athletes' parents.

At the bottom of this, there is another notion that bothers me more than a little, and it is the absolute desire to keep these kids poor. There are oppressive limits to what the kids can do to make and spend money while on scholarship. The purpose of these oppressive restrictions were to prevent end-arounds for schools to avoid the rules that barred them from paying athletes to compete for them. For example, no football player at a BCS school can accept the same sort of part time jobs I worked as a college student, out of fear that schools will use the false premise of a legitimate job to try to give players compensation for being an athlete. Players cannot sell their signatures, or photographs, but they can sign autographs for free that creepy fat dudes who hang around practice can go home and sell from their mom's basement on eBay and that's perfectly okay. And while I, as a law student, was able to get an insane amount of credit from my future earning capacity as a lawyer, if an athlete is able to get credit from a third party (which is all this Bush stuff was, according to the sworn testimony of the agents) on the prospect of his future earnings, this somehow is a violation of some sacred rule.

The purpose behind these rules was to prevent schools from paying for athetes, not to keep poor athletes poor. USC didn't pay Bush anything improper. UNC and Alabama and South Carolina and Florida weren't paying these kids to play for them. The kids were getting some freebies from third parties.
    Fight On! Beat the Utes!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12