Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Hard Times Ahead For USC

At least that's how it looks, today....

Two media outlets are reporting the NCAA has decided to ban Southern California's football team from the postseason for two years and strip the program of scholarships. The Los Angeles Times reported the NCAA sanctions include the loss of more than 20 scholarships. ESPN.com reported Wednesday night that the Trojans will forfeit wins "from at least the 2004 season."
    USC is also expected to face probation and possible limits on football recruiting contacts after the NCAA's four-year investigation into the school.

Article at si.com

Respond, react, in whatever way you wish, here.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Hard Times Ahead For USC

I find it funny to be honest. I have no loyalty when it comes to college football. Sure I'll root for USC, but I'll also root for UCLA, and have been known to root for other teams.

If they did this, then they deserve it. Period.

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

As a USC fan I'm dispappointed..BUT..if there were VIOLATIONS then..with much respect..they deserve it.

I just feel sorry for the kids who are on the squad right now and now they will be playing for nothing..no championship no Pac-10 title..all because one Bone-head did something against the violations.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    If they did this, then they deserve it. Period.
    From what I've heard though Reggie Bush is the nexus of this, and while fair is fair ... I don't think it's fair that it effects the students that are there NOW and didn't have anything to do with this mess.

Personally I'm not into sports, but this situation sucks because it isn't fair to target the team. They should go after the people involved in what they are investigating.

• mountains beyond mtns.

As a Bruins fan, I definitely have a few thoughts about this!

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz
    From what I've heard though Reggie Bush is the nexus of this, and while fair is fair ... I don't think it's fair that it effects the students that are there NOW and didn't have anything to do with this mess.

Personally I'm not into sports, but this situation sucks because it isn't fair to target the team. They should go after the people involved in what they are investigating
    Quote Originally Posted by Cositaluvsmickey
    As a USC fan I'm dispappointed..BUT..if there were VIOLATIONS then..with much respect..they deserve it.

I just feel sorry for the kids who are on the squad right now and now they will be playing for nothing..no championship no Pac-10 title..all because one Bone-head did something against the violations.
    Actually, Reggie Bush and OJ Mayo were the nexus of this. However, USC deserves punishment for "lack of institutional control". If you have players with pro potential, there are sure to be all sorts of interlopers that will swarm around them. There's no way Carroll nor Floyd couldn't have been aware of all the benefits Bush and Mayo were getting and yet they turned a blind eye to them.

Interestingly, Colorado joined the Pac 10 today and rumor has it that Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State may follow. Recruiting in the Pac 10-16 just got a lot tougher.

This investigation was actually four years in the making and if you'll entertain my conspiracy theory, it could've been concluded much sooner. I feel that the NCAA, upon discovery of the violations, decided to wanted to make an example out of a major collegiate program. Their way of trying to clean up college basketball and football and the longer they dragged out the inquiries, the greater the justification they would have for such stiff penalties.

As much as I hate to say this, I do believe the USC programs will eventually reemerge somehow. If nothing else, the Trojan vs. Bruins matchups become their Super Bowls and will be difficult for my Bruins to win.

• MC State Comptroller

USC played some dirty pool. They allowed their star players to play "fast and loose" with rules and regs set up by the NCAA. This is why I am not into Collegiate (sp?) sports. I'll watch rarely, but it seems to me most of the talented players are just playing since its a stepping stone to the pro level.

I feel bad for the players at USC now who are getting punished for the sins of their fathers. Although who else are they going to punish. I also feel bad for the new coach Lane Kiffin (i think that's his name). No matter how well he does as a coach he will not be able to be in a BCS game for 2 years.

No wonder Pete Carroll left.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• MC State Comptroller

USC played some dirty pool. They allowed their star players to play "fast and loose" with rules and regs set up by the NCAA. This is why I am not into Collegiate (sp?) sports. I'll watch rarely, but it seems to me most of the talented players are just playing since its a stepping stone to the pro level.

I feel bad for the players at USC now who are getting punished for the sins of their fathers. Although who else are they going to punish. I also feel bad for the new coach Lane Kiffin (i think that's his name). No matter how well he does as a coach he will not be able to be in a BCS game for 2 years.

No wonder Pete Carroll left.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

What boggles my mind listening to the Radio today, was the arrogance of every single USC alum caller. How Dare they do this! etc...

Again and again, the response was if you break the rules, you pay the price. Just because you are USC, or whoever, there are rules.

Meanwhile Carrol skates off to Seattle where i hope he chokes.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post
    What boggles my mind listening to the Radio today, was the arrogance of every single USC alum caller. How Dare they do this! etc...

Again and again, the response was if you break the rules, you pay the price. Just because you are USC, or whoever, there are rules.

Meanwhile Carrol skates off to Seattle where i hope he chokes.
    It's that very kind of arrogance that I believe is being referred to with the lack of institutional control.

I had a lot of be-grudgiong respect for Carroll. (Lifelong Bruin fan here as well). I've lost some of that.

Can you say, "one step ahead of the posse", Pete? It's obvious he knew what was coming down.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Today again on the radio callers who back USC in all of this amaze me.

One tried to make the point that USC should be exempt, because of the level of student that goes to USC. That the majority of USC students drive $50k Cars and live in $500k condo's, so why should the Athletes be expected to live at a lower standard of living than the average USC student!

Sorry, but if the 'average' USC student drives a $50k car, and lives in $550k condo, something is very, very wrong. (And i know they don't, but the superiority complex some have astounds me)

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post

Sorry, but if the 'average' USC student drives a $50k car, and lives in $550k condo, something is very, very wrong. (And i know they don't, but the superiority complex some have astounds me)
    They don't call it the "University of Spoiled Children" for nothin...

• Minion

As a UofA fan i have a small grin across my face when i read this. Then i realize that in 2 years we wont even play USC anymore so it doesnt matter. we have to get ready to play the texas schools in the pac 16.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Anyone seem steamboat pete, one of the big Trojan backers around here, lately?

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    He has been absent even from the Debate Lounge of late. Maybe the shock is too much for him?

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I hadn't been around in a while.

Suffice it so say, I'm pretty pissed about the ruling.

This article does a pretty good job of showing what a crock the findings were.

USCFootball.com - Exclusive: Investigation Illustrated

This one isn't bad either:

A little more about Reggie's Impala - Conquest Chronicles

I wish I could have had 45 minutes to cross-examine Mr. Lake. I'd have destroyed him. He's a fraud, and it's painfully obvious that he was lying through his teeth about a lot of this stuff.

I get that Reggie's folks got improper benefit, and he certainly knew about it, and that makes him ineligible, but these violations were not the result of any error or omission on USC's part. The NCAA essentially imposed strict liability on USC because Reggie Bush was such a "high profile" athlete and USC was so successful with him. The new standard, apparently, is you are on the hook for whatever people can get away with on your watch. Hell, one of the reasons for the "institutional control" finding was that a tennis player stole a calling card. USC busted her for it, and I think expelled her and pressed charges, but the NCAA called it an "improper benefit."

Under the new strict liability standard, I wonder, is snatching a purse an improper benefit?

The other thing that annoys me to no end is that our sanctions are worse for this than Miami's, Alabama's, Florida States and Oklahoma's, and those cases involved boosters with no-show job, massive academic fraud and institutional grant fraud. USC fails to police the carefully concealed fraud of a player's stepfather and they get it worse than a school that has academic fraud, booster pay and federal loan fraud for players?

Reggie Bush should have been found ineligible, and probation should have been imposed, perhaps with some of the restrictions on access and recruiting. The basketball sanctions were probably on target.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast