• Infinitized!

And the FIFA 2018 and 2022 World Cups go to...

Russia in 2018
    Quatar in 2022
    Russia, Qatar win race to host World Cups - CNN.com

I guess the Russians will get some more use now out of that stadium they're building in Sochi for the Winter Olympics.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: And the FIFA 2018 and 2022 World Cups go to...

Guess throwing Morgan Freeman out there doesn't hold any weight.

• Rock Star Minion

I'm not sure why the US bothers to bid for WC and the Olympics anymore. We should stop wasting time and money, and let them come to us begging. We're a solid Plan B option for last minute preparation. For WC, we have 30 or so stadia big enough to hold the Opener and Final matches. (Whether they're available is a different story: most are college football stadia, like UTenn's and Mich's and tOSU's.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

They have some amazing designs planned that will blow China's 2008 Olympic summer game & Rio's future master plan World Cup designs out of the water...

• Infinitized!

What Qatar is proposing is interesting, but, playing soccer in the desert heat? Ouch.

There's one thing that bugs me about the FIFA World Cups. These big stadiums are built, and some of them only have maybe 2 games played in them during the tournament. Sure, some of the stadiums can be modified later to reduce seating but still, how often will they be used after the World Cup? They're just gonna be white elephants. At least Rio and Brazil lucked out by holding the Pan Am games a few years ago (and building a bunch of sporting infrastructure then), hosting the World Cup in 2014, and then the summer Olympics in 2016. Kinda the same thing with Sochi in Russia.

• Rock Star Minion

I think it is assumed that there will be a soccer league formed and will use those stadia.
    For Qatar, while they look great on the outside, the plan is to sell some of them to other places. This likely started with the mobile olympic sized swimming pool, like the one used in a Long Beach Parking Lot for the World Championships. (And the three-lane one used on Main Street USA a few years ago.)
    This is why the USA is always a great practical place to hold the World Cup, with 20 stadia above 80,000 seats. But, FIFA wants more of the world to play soccer and more of its money. USA isn't going to pay. Not only that, but the USA had its chance, and has a league, and soccer is pretty much saturated as much as it can be.

I'm guessing that the games in Qatar will be held late, nearer to midnight. Practical for weather and for TV viewing in Europe and USA.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I'm guessing that the games in Qatar will be held late, nearer to midnight. Practical for weather and for TV viewing in Europe and USA.
    That makes sense.

Now I just hope we don't hear any vuvuzelas at the next three world cups.

• Rock Star Minion

My local AYSO area has banned all noise devices.

I'm pretty sure July 1994 in L.A. was pretty hot. And so probably was Mexico in 1986. Both teams play in the same weather. However, you figure some max temperature should be determined, at FIFA, for all soccer under its jurisdiction. Some min temp as well, as I was watching a Premiere League game on Monday afternoon and the sideline folks and fans in the stands were bundled up while the players were in shorts.
    How about 110 degrees F max, and 20 degrees F min?