•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Chicago Cubs Baseball Player Ron Santo Passes Away

Ron Santo: Former Chicago Cubs player Ron Santo dead at 70 - chicagotribune.com

I woke up this morning, turned on my television the way I do most mornings, and the very first thing I saw was the sad news of the passing of Ron Santo. Today is my husband's birthday. He will be 64. Mr. Santo was 70, and he played for the Chicago Cubs, the team that my husband has rooted for his whole entire life.

Ron Santo battled diabetes, but it was bladder cancer that took his life. He died in Arizona at about 1 p.m. this morning.

Ron Santo's life was the Cubs. He played the game at third base as hard as anyone could. After playing the game of baseball, he then became a broadcaster. I enjoyed listening to him, and I will really miss that. He shared the booth with Pat Hughes. I am sure Pat is hurting today, as is the entire Wrigley Field, and Cubs community.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Re: Chicago Cubs Baseball Player Ron Santo Passes Away

He truly was a fan's broadcaster and in this era of impartial analytical broadcasting he was a breath of fresh air... you didn't listen to him you sat there beside him and enjoyed the game with an old friend. A third baseman second to none... good old number 10

The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Very sad. Should be in the HoF in my opinion.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I enjoyed watching Ron Santo play. I will never forget his youthful exhuberance, the clicking of heels after a Cubs win.

As a broadcaster, he gave the Cubs and their fans exactly what they wanted. An unabashed "homer", who was there to provide insight, yes, but root for the Cubs all the while. Not my cup of tea, because I was raised with a different kind of broadcaster.

"Homers" don't work in SoCal so much, because there are so many transplants from oither areas that live here, and still root for their old teams. I grew up with Vin Scully, Dick Enberg, Chick Hearn and Bob Miller...all legendary broadcasters, who just did things a different way.

But this is about Ron Santo. I loved his passion for the game, and for the Cubs.

I almost met the man. I set up an appointment to tape a radio interview with him about three years ago before a Cubs game at Dodger Stadium, to talk about all the work he was involved in.

But I got sick and had to cancel, and we never did get together.

My loss. And now, a great loss - for baseball fans everywhere.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

YouTube - Steve Goodman: A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request A dying Cubs fan's last request... the song that could not be any less significant than right now

The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Ron Santo's funeral is being held today at Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago. They had a public visitation yesterday, and the fans were lined up outside all the way up to midnight last night. The funeral will be covered live today, and I will be watching. The funeral procession route includes passing by Tribune Tower where WGN is located and then heading north where they will then circle Wrigley Field.

Ron loved Wrigley, and I always loved to hear his recollection of stepping on the field for the very first time as a major league baseball player.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort