• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

"Turn Out The Liiiiights" ... "Dandy Don" Meredith Dead at 72

For those of us "of a certain age", this is very sad news indeed.

Don Meredith, one of the most recognizable figures of the early Dallas Cowboys and an original member of ABC's "Monday Night Football" broadcast team, died Sunday. He was 72.
    Meredith's wife, Susan, told The Associated Press on Monday her husband died in Santa Fe after suffering a brain hemorrhage and lapsing into a coma. She and her daughter were at Meredith's side when he died.
    "He was the best there was," she said, describing him as kind, warm and funny. "We lost a good one."
    She said a private graveside service was being planned and that family members were traveling to Santa Fe.
    --espn.com

I remember watching an exhibition game in the summer of 1970, described by ABC's then unheard of three-man team of Meredith, Keith Jackson, and Howard Cosell. No one had any idea of the institution that Monday Night Football would become, beginning that very first season.

And the team in the booth was as much of an attraction to many, as the teams on the field.

And when the outcome of the game was no longer in doubt, he'd croon that Willie Nelson tune...

Thanks, "Danderoo", for some really great memories.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: "Turn Out The Liiiiights" ... "Dandy Don" Meredith Dead at 72

I grew up in the east when Dandy was on MNF. It was usually too late for me to be up on a school night to hear the song. Sad to hear the news.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: "Turn Out The Liiiiights" ... "Dandy Don" Meredith Dead at 72

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I grew up in the east when Dandy was on MNF. It was usually too late for me to be up on a school night to hear the song. Sad to hear the news.
    I remember I had just started the ninth grade when my Dad and I watched the Browns beat Joe Namath and the Jets that very first Monday night. I grew up here in SoCal, so that meant that the game was over sometime around 9PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.