Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: The Super Bowl Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And an excerpt from longtime Chicago writer and unquestioned Bears fan on PTI, Michael Wilbon, from the same website today...

Take if for what it is worth.
    So, he's unbiased. [/sarcasm]
    Seems to be the only story with legs today.

Breaking news! Criticism of the criticism of Cutler!!
    Last edited by sediment; 01-24-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    So, he's unbiased. [/sarcasm]
    Seems to be the only story with legs today.

Breaking news! Criticism of the criticism of Cutler!!
    Well put. (LOL)

Besides, there's still approximately 311 hours, 55 minutes til kickoff of Super Hype 45. I think somewhere in there we'll find some time to talk about the Packers and Steelers.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with Wilbon ... I don't think anybody was questioning whether Cutler was hurt or not ... that was a given.

They were questioning his heart and desire to be put back in the game. We have seen it numerous times, players being hurt, coaches and trainers having to physically hold a player back from getting back into the game, etc. That fire, that drive, that determination. You saw NONE of that from Cutler. In the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP game. One game from the Super Bowl.

Granted, we only saw what FOX chose to show us. I'm sure he tried to help Haine, FOX just happened to show him sitting there disinterested.

But the "perception" was that because he didn't have ice on his knee, wasn't on crutches, was still in pads and therefore should have still been playing. This is what a LOT of people (myself included) thought and obviously tweeted or posted on facebook.

One last point ... one of Cutlers biggest defenders is Brian Urlacher ... THAT guy has my respect so I'm going to take him at his word. But let's not forget a couple of years back, Urlacher questioned Cutlers drive (When he was with the Broncos).

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Off topic question. When we hear that LeBron James, or this or that football person has "tweeted" or posted something on Facebook, do we take it at "face" value (pardon the pun) that it is really them? Can't others sometimes create fake accounts in their name?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Bears fans will be talking about this for a long time. I guess in some people's frustration, they have to blame someone. Quite frankly, I am surprised we aren't talking about Lovie Smith today. Losing isn't any fun, and losing makes a lot of people act like losers themselves.

• Rock Star Minion

Off topic question. When we hear that LeBron James, or this or that football person has "tweeted" or posted something on Facebook, do we take it at "face" value (pardon the pun) that it is really them? Can't others sometimes create fake accounts in their name?
    When I hear that someone has tweeted something, I generally ignore it. Again, there is no cure for idiocy, so my "boycott" won't affect anyone except myself. It affects me in a positive way.

But yeah, people want to see him putting on a show of wanting to get back in there. Perception is so much more important than the truth, because, yet again, there is no cure for idiocy.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Sed, I'd like your opinion.

Wouldn't it make sense for backup qb's to get more reps with the first unit in practice? If the first string guy gets all the snaps, then goes down in a big game (and of course that never happens lol) where does that leave you?

• Circle of Ancients

As far as I can recall, LeBron is the only one who has denied tweeting something.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Bears fans will be talking about this for a long time. I guess in some people's frustration, they have to blame someone. Quite frankly, I am surprised we aren't talking about Lovie Smith today. Losing isn't any fun, and losing makes a lot of people act like losers themselves.
    The fact remains, the Bears were tremendous overachievers this season. I know it's hard to remember that right now, but after some time I think the people of Chicago will be ok with their successes this season. It's very hard to get to this far and lose like that.

The Bears will have a good team next year, but they have to find a way to protect Cutler. Getting sacks 55 times in a season isn't conducive to a long career for your QB.

• A Malice in Wonderland...

It seems to me the Steelers have the same strengths as the Packers without the weakness. They have an elite level QB, top five receiving core, and incredible defense. That AND they can run the ball too. I'd really like to see the Pack win, but I gotta go with my head on this one. Steelers 23 Packers 17
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So how many people are hosting a Super Bowl party at their house?

Or do you frequent perhaps a closeby establishment that hosts a Super Bowl event?

Then there are people like me, who actually enjoy watching the game in the comfort of their homes, by themselves. My husband is a strange sports fan. He claims to love football, and he does know the finer points of the game since he used to officiate the game. However, he never watches championship stuff. Like I said, he's strange.

• Circle of Ancients

Will be a quiet Super Bowl for us ... just me, the wife and kids and lots of snacks.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

You will notice in advertisements, and so forth that companies that are not "official" NFL sponsors call it...."The Big Game"...or something like that.

Food Network, for example, is having shows this weekend for people to prepare for "The Big Game".

Stores run ads with footballs all aroun, promoting specials for the "annual get-together" and the like.

I am sure that the NFL police will soon be knocking at the door here. Screw em. Super Bowl, Super Bowl, Super Bowl. Or as I call it, Super Hype 45.

The last two weekends were my favorite weekends of the year as a football fan. Without wanting to rain on anyone's parade here, the Super Bowl is...

a) played on a neutral field, with tickets going to the high roller corporate types who couldn't care less about the game. The average fan is priced out of the market, especially this year with demand of well-travelling Packer and Steeler fans gobbling up what's left. Oh, at Jerry's new playhouse, you can sit outside the stadium, and watch the game on TV for a mere 200 dollars.

b) It's merely an excuse for a week's worth of high-level A-list corporate parties, for folks most of which won't even be staying for the games. What's the over-under on corporate jets flying in and out of Dallas airport the next two weeks.

c) I think the pre-game show starts sometime next Thursday(lol). Actually, Fox's official pre-game starts at 11AM (2/6). A four hour pregame, for a game lasting less than three and a half hours.

d) It's a day for parties, for casual fans many of whom never watch football all year, and and there mostly for the commercials.

e) And oh yeah, almost an afterthought....at 3:27PM or so Pacific Time Sunday February 6, the Packers and Steelers will play a football game to determine the champion of the National Football League, 2010 season.

f) There should be only one week's wait, not two.

That's why the last two weekends are my favorite weekends of the NFL season.

And yes, by 3:27PM Pacific on Sunday 2/6, I will be tuned to FOX Channel 11 in Los Angeles.

Many of the people in Cowboys Stadium will be tuned in too, watching the game more on those ridiculously large video boards.

End of annual rant. A mere 304 hiours, 25 minutes to kickoff now. (Math done in my head, ya know).

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Lighten up Barry, it's a football game. After all, as with anything else, you can choose to watch, or not watch. Some people love all the hype. Fans of the teams in it usually enjoy all the media coverage.

• Circle of Ancients

Lighten up Barry, it's a football game. After all, as with anything else, you can choose to watch, or not watch. Some people love all the hype. Fans of the teams in it usually enjoy all the media coverage.
    Agreed. Just like anything else as popular as "The Big Game" () it inevitably get's sucked up by corporations. This is why I don't generally have any desire to go to the game. I get a much better seat in my house and can relax and enjoy my low-cost beer and food. I do like the commercials, but you won't see me drinking Budweiser.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I said I'll be watching, didn't I?

I have a right to my opinions. I just stated the fact that for me, the last two weekends of football are better for me than the Super Bowl, and I explained why, just as if I was writing a column or giving a sports commentary on the radio, both of which I have done in the past.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast