Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Super Bowl Thread

I thought it might be fun to have a Super Bowl thread before we actually find out who is going to play in the big game, which is just two weeks from today.

The Bears/Packers game is less than an hour away from being played here in Chicago, where I live..

The Jets/Steelers game will be on later in the day.

My picks are the Bears and the Steelers to go to the big game.

I am watching all the pregame stuff, and it is a lot of fun here in Chicago. Everything, everywhere is: GO BEARS! I have seen two Bears Super Bowls in my lifetime. One that they won of course in the days of Ditka, Singletary, Hampton, Dent, the Fridge, and the late Walter Payton. One that they lost, of course a few years back.

I am not a football expert, by any stretch of the imagination, so I can't talk any of the finer points, but I have now gotten excited to see just who is going to be victorious at the Super Bowl from the four teams that are left.

So let's talk Super Bowl. Pick your picks, and let's get ready for the games today.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: The Super Bowl Thread

Cutler gets hurt and this does not look good for the Bears. Although it was fun seeing Brian Urlacher running with the ball.

Bears are behind 14 to zero.

• Banned User

the Bears played a terrible game, Chicagos 2nd QB is a joke, Hanie at least tried and he almost pulled an unexpected come from behind, its gonna be Pack vs. Jets in the big game, Roethlisberger doesn't deserve to win the super bowl after what he did, I wonder how Bears fans feel watching the Pack celebrate on their turf, it must really suck

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Congratulations to the Packers, they are going to the Super Bowl after a 21-14 win.

But congratulations to the Bears and their fans, too. I think they "overacheived" this season, and few people thought they'd get this far.

I don't know that I'd ever heard of Caleb Hanie before today, and he darn near pulled it out..or at least could have gotten them a tie.

Aaron Rodgers didn't play his best game, but Green Bay's defense and special punt and kick coverage teams were very good.

They also caught some breaks with the officiating, but that is not why they won the game.

The Packers are the best team remaining, and will be favored to beat either the Jets of Pittsburgh (I am picking the Jets, BTW).
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It is often stated that the second and third string quarterbacks get very few practice reps, if any, with the first unit during the week.

Then a guy like Cutler gets hurt, not at all uncommon for a first string QB to go down in an NFL game.

Then the guys who have not played in game situations, or gotten much work in practice, are thrown into the fire.

Makes you wonder why the backups don't get more practice reps with the first team. I have always wondered that.

It's hard for me to criticize Collins, and I was impressed with Hanie under the circumstances.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Someone has to win, and someone has to lose. Today the Bears lose. Everyone will second guess all the decisions that were made today.

Well I seem to remember saying. The Bears should have beat this team two weeks ago. They couldn't beat them two weeks ago, and they couldn't beat them today.

The stronger team is representing the NFC in the big game.

Go Steelers. That's who I am rooting for in the other game today.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Steelers are doing well. Looks like I might be making one right pick. Too bad for Chicago, it was the wrong correct pick.

Go packers!!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Well I got one right.

The TV coverage in Chicago is questioning the injury of Jay Cutler.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Well I got one right.
    Barbarann, you take your losses pretty well in stride.

Back in the day, like the 70's and 80's, when my Rams would lose a game of that magnitude, I would go into a deep funk. Sometimes lasting for days. Same with the Angels. (Actually, worse)

Yes, I was younger then. When my teams like the Angels (or to a much lesser extent the Chargers) lose and their season ends like that, it still hurts. I have better perspective now, but it still hurts.

Since they are celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Bears 85-January '86 team, I couldn't help remember the pain of that Sunday 25 years ago at Soldier Field. I knew my Rams were overmatched. I knew they had really no shot against that Bears team. But still. 24-0....ouch.

One last thing. I heard Dan Hampton interviewed the other day. They had a special dinner for the members of that Bears team a couple of weeks ago.

The sad part...he said for the first time in 25 years, many members of the offense and defense actually spoke to one another, for the first time since. The long-feuding Mike Ditka and Buddy Ryan hugged on stage, to bury the hatchet for at least one night,

I know that no football team has 50 guys going out together every night to sing koom-by-yah (sp?). But still to have a team that split up off the field? It just strikes me as a little sad.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

They are still picking on Jay Cutler this morning. Going so far, as some fans have burned his jersey after the game.

I did know about the Buddy Ryan - Mike Ditka camps. Football is a team sport, and although that team was split down the middle that team won it all. Can't argue with success. Or maybe we just accept things for what they are and make the best of all that we are given in any situation.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

They are still picking on Jay Cutler this morning. Going so far, as some fans have burned his jersey after the game.
    I don't understand that at all.

There are some things I question about Cutler, but his toughness is not one of them.

This was the biggest game of his professional life so far. That was a nasty hit he took.

Taking criticism comes with the territory of making millions of dollars and being famous and all of that, but I think this is a bit too much.

• Circle of Ancients

I'll admit, I was one who was questioning Cutler when he went out yesterday.

It's the NFC Championship game, it's one game from the Super Bowl. Unless the doctors are specifically pulling you out due to some league rule (like a concussion) you are IN that game. His post-game interviews didn't do much to convince me otherwise either. He was very nonchalant about the whole thing and just said the doctors and trainers said he couldn't go. NO ... you get off your butt and you go out there. Period.

And then you see the Steelers/Jets game and both Rothlesberger and Sanchez got hurt ... yet neither of them missed a play.

IMO, Bears fans are correct to be criticizing Cutler today. Not just for the injury, but for his play prior to the injury. Not sure if I'd go so far as to burn his jersey, but I get it.

I really had no vested interested in the Bears vs. Packers game, I would have been fine with either winning. But after Cutler went out, the thought of having a Super Bowl where Caleb Haine is the starter ... I had to root for the Packers.

All that said ... it's going to be a great Super Bowl. Two storied Franchises going at it. Two great defenses, two exciting QB's ... it will be fun.

The only match-up I'd like to see more is if my 49ers were there.

• Rock Star Minion

Same people would be slamming Cutler for playing poorly while injured. Cutler is not well-liked among the media. The Awful Rick Reilly wrote something a week ago or so about his hate for Cutler.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Cutler gets hurt and this does not look good for the Bears. Although it was fun seeing Brian Urlacher running with the ball.
    Aaron Rodgers biggest play of the game was his tackle on that play. Saved a touchdown, most likely.

And as for Cutler, the latest - espn.com

CHICAGO -- Jay Cutler does indeed have a knee injury -- a sprained medial collateral ligament, the team announced on Monday -- providing at least some explanation for why the quarterback only played one series in the second half of Sunday's NFC title game, prompting critics to question Cutler's toughness
    "MCL sprain. That's what the injury was," Bears coach Lovie Smith said. "We knew that. We had an idea at the time that that's what it was, and that's what we're saying now."
    How badly Cutler was really hurt and whether he should have played anyway was hotly debated after the Bears quarterback left in the third quarter of a 21-14 loss to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.
    "If things had gone our way and we had made it to the Super Bowl, it would have been questionable if he could have gone in, Smith said."
    In the aftermath of the Bears' loss, even Chicago legend Mike Ditka had wondered about the severity injury, while teammate Brian Urlacher vehemently defended the QB.
    "I don't know if anybody can play the game when they're not 100 percent or not well," Ditka, an ESPN analyst, said on "Mike & Mike In The Morning" on ESPN Radio. "I can't speak for Jay Cutler. I can't speak for anybody.
    "Myself, I would have had to have been paralyzed to come out of the game. I don't want to say that word. I would have had to be completely knocked out to come out of that football game."
    And an excerpt from longtime Chicago writer and unquestioned Bears fan on PTI, Michael Wilbon, from the same website today...

CHICAGO -- The only thing older than the Bears-Packers rivalry is the Bears' failure over most of that time at quarterback. Great linebackers, running backs and linemen the Bears have plenty of; quarterbacks are another matter entirely. And perhaps never has there been more despair in Chicago over quarterback incompetence than in the wake of the loss to the Packers in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday. Forbidding the mention of the name Jay Cutler may be the best way to cope with winter. Only a Bears quarterback could stink out the joint and then get worse while sitting on the sideline.

Look, you're not going to read in this space any suggestion from me that Cutler's knee injury wasn't serious enough to send him to the sideline or that Cutler was a complete baby for not going back on the field with a trip to the Super Bowl at stake. But any credible analysis of the NFC Championship Game, especially of the Bears' performance, has to start with Cutler, the pivotal figure in the game whether we're talking about his first-half incompetence or his second-half absence.
    The absence, without question, infuriated more people. In 30 years of covering professional football I've never seen a front-line player crushed by his peers the way Cutler was Sunday in real time. Granted, communicating via Twitter is still relatively new, and we're now privy to unedited thoughts in a way we've never been previously.
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Derrick Brooks, a future Hall of Famer, tweeted, "I have to be crawling and can't get up to come off the field. Josh Freeman would not come out. Meds are available ... " A few minutes later when the Bears sent their third-stringer, Caleb Hanie, in to the game and Cutler was therefore ineligible to return, Brooks tweeted, "There is no medicine for a guy with no guts and heart."
    Another future Hall of Famer, Deion Sanders, said, "I never question a player's injury, but I do question a player's heart."
    Take if for what it is worth.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast