Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Grapefruit and Cactus: The 2010 MiceChat Hope "Springs" Eternal Baseball Thread

The way teams are moving out to Arizona, we're seeing a lot more "Cactus League" and less "Grapefruit"...but still it's time for pitchers and catchers to report, and the rest can't be far behind...
    So this is the place to chime in about your team's spring training fortunes.

Based on their off-season, the Angels have major question marks.

So do many other teams...like the St. Louis Cardinals, dealing with a certain best-overall-player-in-the-game named Albert Pujols.

So, let's have at it...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Senior Minion

Re: Grapefruit and Cactus: The 2010 MiceChat Hope "Springs" Eternal Baseball Thread

I don't know what Pujols plan is. The only franchise which can afford to overpay him the kind of money he seems to expect is the Yankees, and they're set at first base for a couple of years yet. All the other "top" teams are pretty well set at first base.

Yet, pitchers and catchers are reporting, and there's the sound of baseballs hitting gloves in the air, and can spring be far behind? As glorious as it is living here in CA, there's nothing like a week in Fort Myers watching the team go through their workouts. I yearn for the sound of a crack of the bat.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Re: Grapefruit and Cactus: The 2010 MiceChat Hope "Springs" Eternal Baseball Thread

Spring can't come fast enough. It's a year of transistion for my Royals. Of course we've been through like five youth movements in the past decade, but this is different. It has to be. A good mix of position players and pitchers wait in the #1 farm system in the league.

We are looking at another long summer in KC (W-L record wise), but the light can be seen at the end of the tunnel. Can't wait to see some of these young 'studs' later in the year. I just can't wait for some baseball!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Senior Minion

It has long been my hope and contention for teams which may not be very competitive to look towards other ways to bring the fans in--if you go to a game, and have a good time, and even better, it's a great environment for kids, you're still going to get your money's worth.

It's sad to see a number of teams sacrifice "atmosphere" and "fun" solely for the purpose of winning and squeezing every last possible dollar out of every seat. It saddens me to hear the curses chanted at places like Fenway, Yankee Stadium, et al--places you have to think twice before bringing kids to.

(And once you can no longer bring kids to a game, the sport will eventually dry up and die.)

There are so many great promotional possibilities out there--I'd love to be the special events manager of a club--I'd make sure people had a ball.

• Rock Star Minion

Um, 2011, right??
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

No new deal for King Albert. I don't think this will linger over St. Louis throughout the summer (*sarcasm*).
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Senior Minion

I think it's going to be a shame if he leaves the Cardinals, but I think the team has screwed itself into the ground with this one--how are they going to avoid the inevitable bad blood this has generated?

Apparently (from what came out yesterday) they only gave him the one offer a few weeks ago, and basically told him "take it or leave it". Not smart.

I don't know as many teams have the kind of money he'll demand, unless the Yankees trade over Texeira and a couple of prospects; this, of course, has come about all because they way overpaid for A-Roid.

Here's hoping Pujols has a monster year...

I can't wait for the season to start. Many of you know who my team is, and can prettyy know why im so excited

• Senior Minion

I just saw something amazing (pun intended) on MLB Network.

They ran an hour-long show on the 1969 World Series, starring those Amazing Mets and the Baltimore Orioles (who simply did not hit at all that series).

What was really amazing was not the action on the field, but the people in the stands. In 1969, people still wore jacket-and-tie and even business suits to the ballpark! I can't even imagine that now. Not to mention how at least half of the men were wearing hats (not ball caps), as well as many of the women.

Again, simply amazing. Hard to imagine that now.

• A Malice in Wonderland...

The thing with the Angels off-season strategy is that you need to look at it from the perspective that for the Angels, the offseason started just after the All-Star break last year. They lost Joe Saunders and picked up Dan Haren. They moved defensive liability Mike Napoli and useless space eater Juan Rivera in exchange for a truly solid but extremely overpaid Vernon Wells. They also have Kendry Morales coming back.

This team is head and shoulders better than the Angels squad last year and they look really good if you don't look at how much Moreno is shelling out for Wells. And you shouldn't consider that, baseball has no salary cap, so that's just on Moreno to worry about. Sure for the money they should've just gotten Carl Crawford, but they still upgraded. They now have four very above average starters and Scott Kazmir (and they added an insurance plan for Kazmir in Hisanori Takahashi) and Torii Hunter, Kendry Morales, and Vernon Wells in the heart of their order (much improved from the mishmash of players that occupied the 3-4-5 spots last year.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm a litle worried about my Rays with the loss of Crawford (hope he pulls both is hamstrings), Peña, Garza, Soriano (screw you Scott Boras), Bartlett... and the addition of Kyle Farnsworth (WTH? Really... WTH?!), Johnny Damon (I grew to like him a bit last year with Detroit so I can deal) and Manny (WTF?!?!). But we still got some key players left with Longoria, Price, Sean Rodriguez, Matt Joyce... hopefully Shields will come out of his funk and have a better season. And hopefully Jeremey Hellickson will show more why we call him "Hell Boy".

But if we have a bad season.... I'm going to smack Andrew Friedman and Stu Sternberg upside the head for the bonehead moves they made during the off season. But for now I'll be very cautiously optimistic. Who knows? We came out in 2008 with a bunch of "nobodys" and a VERY young team and blew the AL East out of the water. And we did it again last year too. So we'll see.

As for my Tigers... it looks like they could build a pretty good rotation around Verlander (though the boy needs a SERIOUS attitude adjustment) with some of the pitching prospects they invited to camp (Charlie Furbush, Adam Wilk, Brayan Villareal... ironically I know all 3 of them). Not sure about Brad Penny and Phil Coke. I just don't care for them. And Miguel Cabrera needs to get back on the wagon and STAY on (for a change). Oh and Joel Zumaya needs to stay healthy for a change too.

• Senior Minion

I think the key for the Rays this year is going to be pitching; if their rotation and bullpen holds, they could do really well. The Yankees this year are painfully short of arms. I'm going to watch what happens in Baltimore closely, they could even hit .500 this year with Showalter managing them on to the right path.

The Central looks to be a three way race which will also be fun to watch. West looks to be between Texas and the A's (sorry Halo fans).

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

As if the Albert Pujols drama wasn't enough for Cardinals' fans, Adam Wainwright will undergo Tommy John surgery and will miss the entire 2011 season. Bummer. He's truly one of the best young aces in the game today. Hope for a speedy recovery.
    Home away from Home.

• Senior Minion

It's too bad about Wainwright, and spooky how many pitchers on the Cardinals staff have had that surgery.

It's going to be a tough division to win this year--I think the Brewers could take it, though. Anyone have any other predictions, as we start to get closer to opening day?

And in a probable shock to my fellow members of Red Sox Nation, I am not all that confident the Sawx win the AL East. I am not at all sure Beckett, Lackey, or Dice-K are going to live up to expectations this season, and you're not going to win a majority of games with just two top-line pitchers.

I am not a Red Sox fan, but I think you'll do very well this season. There's still strong competition, but the trade for Adrian Gonzalez was huge, along with the Crawford signing. You have to think they're not going to get hit with the injury bug so hard this year and lose Ellsbury, Pedroia or Youkilis for significant amounts of time. Plus, I think they did a great job shoring up the bullpen.

As for the rotation, I think Lackey is no worse than he was last year, and Beckett often follows up a bad season with a strong one, so I think your starters will be fine, certainly as good as the Yankees starters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast