• My Own Oasis

Wink Sacramento Kings Franchise Coming to Anaheim?

If you are not familiar with the news here's a news article about it.

Seeing as there is a possibility that the Maloofs may move the franchise down to Anaheim, I think it would be fun to speculate what the team name could be if they decided to drop the 'Kings' name and considering their proximity to Disneyland. Disney World and Orlando have the 'Magic'. Maybe we could have the Anaheim 'Adventurers'? It's supposed to be in the spirit of Adventureland and the adventures found at Disneyland. I know it's terrible.

What are your ideas for a team name?

• Senior Minion

Re: Sacramento Kings Franchise Coming to Anaheim?

Speaking as someone who lives near Sacramento, and follows this, it seems a pretty sure bet they're going to move--we'll know in about a week, I think.

Before anyone in Anaheim gets excited, though, please keep in mind one of the main reasons they're moving is because the team is simply terrible; at least one of their players is certifiably psychotic; none of them seem to know how to drive; and the owners are very greedy, self-centered individuals.

They've been trying to get the city to build them a brand new arena for years, now, without wanting to put in a penny of their own money; and ignoring the fact the area simply does not have enough of the "high rollers" they'd want to fill in those luxury seats carrying the big ticket price markup.

I think eventually they'll build something close to their holdings in Las Vegas. Until then, you're going to get a team which is more exciting to read about in the papers (especially the police blotter) than to see on the court.

Hi Wotan,

I agree with you totally. And what makes it worse, is that the Lakers have such a So-Cal presence that no one can really compete with. The profits that the owners want cannot sustain longevity against the Lakers. If they moved to Anaheim, the idea and magic of a team here would last about 3 to 5 years, then sales would drop off to the abyss. Unless they came down here, stole half of the Oklahoma Thunder team and got Blake Griffin, its simply not financially a money maker to the owners, and they know this.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

LA has the Dodgers and Anaheim has the Angels, and both teams are immensely popular, with both teams in the top 5 in major baseball as far as annual attendance is concerned. Similarly in hockey LA has the Kings and Anaheim has the Ducks. I don't really follow hockey so I don't know how their numbers are, but if I recall correctly the Ducks are even more popular than the Kings.

Basketball is a little bit different story. Both teams play at Staples Center and I think that is the biggest problem. If the Clippers were to move to Anaheim I think they might get a larger fan base if they did so. Who knows -- I could be wrong. But could the LA area really be able to deal with three teams? I think this fact in and of itself would keep the Kings from coming here.

• Senior Minion

One thing which would make sense, however, would be if "contraction" actually happens, and the Kings and Clipper franchises merge.

Which is not outside the realm of possibility. There is too much talent in the league concentrated in too few teams, and it simply is not a sustainable model. Sooner or later, the dam will break.

• Hooterville, USA

I think they should change their name to the "Mickey Mouses". They've played that way since they traded Webber and co.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

As a hockey fan, saying "Anaheim Kings" would just feel weird.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

It would have been the Anaheim Royals. But either way, I didn't want 'em. I'm glad they're not coming. Orange County is still Laker territory.
    Fight On! Beat the Utes!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    It would have been the Anaheim Royals. But either way, I didn't want 'em. I'm glad they're not coming. Orange County is still Laker territory.
    I would still think they might still make the move if the owners have to. The owners agreed to remain in Sacramento for one more season and looks to be permanent since the city now has a plan in place for a new arena which the owners cited was the reason for the move proposal.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74