Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2011

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Baseball 2011

Those Bleacher seats that I spoke about that were filled with birds yesterday rather than fans were priced at 20 dollars a piece. Granted, it was a Monday. Chicago kids are in school. It was a cold afternoon, so most people who might have parted with a twenty to enjoy a ballgame on a sunny afternoon, chose to stay home instead, and listen to the call of the game on their television, or their radio.

I remember when seats for the Bleachers were all about $5. Bill Veeck used to love sitting in those very seats. He was shown many a day out there with his shirt off catching a game, and getting a tan at the same time.

I'm not sure if the Cubs do any giveaway of tickets to kids, or community groups. I know when my brother was young, he and my cousin scored many White Sox tickets at no cost, and reduced prices. My brother would travel all the way to the southside of Chicago to see his favorite White Sox team play baseball at the old Comisky Park.

Baseball has definitely gotten overpriced. The Cubs now have a 5 tiered price system. Let's see how it figures into their attendance, and revenue numbers this year. I for one, have shyed away from game tickets, because they quite frankly have gotten way out of hand, for what I feel that I am getting in return.

Let the youngsters, and the families, and the diehards, and those with more money in their wallets enjoy Wrigley.

I am looking forward to the unveiling of the Ron Santo statue this coming Summer.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 04-05-2011 at 01:40 PM.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

I defiantly know how you feel Barbaraann. I'm in school with a part-time job. Luckily KC has one of the lowest average in ticket prices in the Majors, but parking is $10 + concessions are crazy expensive. I wish things were different, especially during these hard times.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Royals win their 4th straight tonight against the ChiSox in 12 innings. They didn't win 4 straight at all last year. Additionally it's 4-straight wins coming from their last at bat.

Tonight's heroes: The bullpen (6 scoreless innings) and Melky Cabrera. The Melk Man Delivers!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

After two days of low attendance at Wrigley, my morning newspaper has not one, but two articles in it today about just that. Low attendance. So why the empty seats? Perhaps the fans are staying away because it's cold. Perhaps they are staying away because of the team on the field. However, we are just a few short games into the season. That can't be it. Or can it?

• Senior Minion

It could be, it could be...I watched the Sox-Indians game this morning, and those people who did show up were wearing parkas and ski masks. Not that there were that many of them.

One wonders why they would schedule such games at this time of the year in cold weather cities. Except, of course, for San Francisco, which is always freezing (I've gone to July 4th games dressed in arctic gear back in the old Candlestick days).

Red Sox still haven't won a game...the only interest is in who's head they're going to start screaming for. Oh, what might have been. I don't think they'll go 0-11.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Well, I for one, think the season is way too long, and should be shortened by one month on each end. It shouldn't start til May, and we should be watching the World Series in September. However, that's never going to happen. There's a little thing called money that always gets in the way.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Royals lose to the Tigers 5-2. Alex Gordon is starting to look like the #2 overall pick from the 2005 draft...finally. The season's still young, but he can vastly improve the lineup if he can keep it up.

I have no such hope or patience with Kyle Davies. I will gladly give up a month's salary to pay for his bus ride to Omaha or somewhere that's not Kansas City.
    Home away from Home.

• no flash photography...

postponed due to rain....really want to watch the Yankees, but have settled for the boston/rays game...last night the rays beat them bad.

• Senior Minion

They beat them today, too, just not quite as bad as Monday. This is going to get really interesting in about another month when the team is 12-38. If they're lucky.

I feel remiss in not commenting earlier on the horrible tragedy that happened down at Chavez Ravine with that poor Giants fan at the Dodgers game. The beating is the sort of thing I'd expect to see at old Yankee Stadium, or Shea, or even (sadly) Fenway on a hot summer night--but not in sublime Los Angeles, especially early in the season. It's distasteful and disgusting. This is baseball, not the Oakland Raiders.

Apparently the Giants and Dodgers have raised a significant amount of money; he may never, however, be right again. It's nothing kids need to see or know about (or experience).

I was going to wear my Red Sox jersey to the A's game next week. Not a chance of that now...

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Watched the Rangers-Tigers game today on MLB...Detroit wins again in the 9th, and thankfully Texas is slowed down a bit.

The Angels strong suit is starting pitching, especially at the top of the rotation. A complete game one-hitter for Dan Haren. Well done indeed.

And it's very interesting that since the sad, unfortunate story at Dodger Stadium came to the forefront, there's been a chorus of fans saying that indeed, it's been a few years now since the "Ravine" has been the safe, family-oriented place it once was.

One caller to a sports show referred to the Stadium as being "just as bad as Magic Mountain" because of the proliferation of East LA gang types there these days. Very sad indeed, because Dodger Stadium always has been one of the best places anywhere to watch a baseball game.

Wotan, you wear your jersey anywhere you like. You can certainly wear it in Anaheim, because Angel Stadium becomes Fenway Park West whenever the Red Sox are in town.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    They beat them today, too, just not quite as bad as Monday. This is going to get really interesting in about another month when the team is 12-38. If they're lucky.

I feel remiss in not commenting earlier on the horrible tragedy that happened down at Chavez Ravine with that poor Giants fan at the Dodgers game. The beating is the sort of thing I'd expect to see at old Yankee Stadium, or Shea, or even (sadly) Fenway on a hot summer night--but not in sublime Los Angeles, especially early in the season. It's distasteful and disgusting. This is baseball, not the Oakland Raiders.

Apparently the Giants and Dodgers have raised a significant amount of money; he may never, however, be right again. It's nothing kids need to see or know about (or experience).

I was going to wear my Red Sox jersey to the A's game next week. Not a chance of that now...
    you do realize the dodgers attract the gang members now that the raiders use to attract? It's been rough there for a while. I would never go there to watch a game. That does not excuse their behavior though. Nobody should be harrassed much less beaten just for wearing a jersey.

I didn't feel entirely safe at angel stadium either. Alcohol and hostile people just don't mix well.

In other news. Yankee game is on and not blacked out. I'm very happy tonight.

• Senior Minion

I can remember going to a Red Sox game in 1986 when the Miller Lite commercials were big, and in the stands, they'd start chanting "less filling--tastes great", and how that quickly degenerated into "eat s$^&--f@#^ you".

And how there were four Little League teams sitting with or near me who had to hear that, and how upsetting that was. Kids should not have their time at the ballpark inundated with drunken filth.

No, SCUBAbe, I didn't know that Dodger Stadium had turned into a hangout for gangs. I hear the LAPD turned out in force for a game there the other day, and here's hoping some solution can be found for these kinds of problems at the parks.

And SCUBAbe, what's up with Derek Jeter? Is he going to start hitting, or are they going to move him down to the eighth spot?

My father used to attend New York Giants football games at old Yankee Stadium, and would regale me with stories of the riots (and I mean riots) that used to break out there.

RB, I don't know as I'm going to wear either Sox jersey next week, it'll also depend on how cold it is. But one day in the future, my friend, you and I need to catch an Angels game together and share stories of all the great players we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post

And SCUBAbe, what's up with Derek Jeter? Is he going to start hitting, or are they going to move him down to the eighth spot?

IDK, I stopped watching when they were up 6-0. (Also, my battery was down to 14%, so I decided to give it a rest. )I had dinner and tuned in for the last inning to see them win 7-4. I don't much care who is hitting as long as they are winning.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Who is hotter than Troy Tulowitzki right now? What a series he had with the Mets. Made Citi Field look like Coors Field East.
    Home away from Home.

and a come from behind win in extra innings (or an extra inning)!! That was a good game. This game did not get turned off.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast