Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2011

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Baseball 2011

Whenever my son and I would go to a baseball game, He always made sure that we stayed until the very last out was made. He figured that the team had a chance to win as long as there were still outs to be made. Is that loyalty, or is that just plain foolishness?

• Senior Minion

He figured that the team had a chance to win as long as there were still outs to be made. Is that loyalty, or is that just plain foolishness?
    It's what is great about baseball. To quote Yogi Berra, it ain't over until it's over. Unlike football, where you can kneel for a couple of plays, in baseball, you've got to get that last out.

Has anyone else caught the Detroit Tiger's relief pitcher, Jose Valverde in action yet?

If not, you've got to try to check him out. Not only is his delivery quite unusual, but his antics whenever he gets a strikeout or ends an inning have to be seen to be believed.

It might upset some of the opposing team's players, I guess, but it is entertaining to watch!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Whenever my son and I would go to a baseball game, He always made sure that we stayed until the very last out was made. He figured that the team had a chance to win as long as there were still outs to be made. Is that loyalty, or is that just plain foolishness?
    With rare exceptions, I have always made it a point to stay to the end of a game. I would watch throngs of people leaving a close game in the seventh or eighth inning, and wonder why those folks even bothered to show up.

I have gone to several decades of games at Dodger and especially Anaheim/Angel Stadium, and never had a problem there from a safety standpoint, and...knock on wood...never have come close.

It's dilemma time for an Angels fan this weekend.

The Rangers are in New York.

For obvious reasons, I don't want Texas to win.

But I could never root, root, root for that home team. Whenever they win, it's a shame,

What is one to do, to do.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• no flash photography...

I would stay as well, but when the Yankees are leading my a huge amount, keep tacking runs on...and I need to make dinner, well, I felt ok turning that game off. I turned it back on for the last inning. I was just watching on mlb.tv

Also, when the Yankees are behind they can catch up. They never give up.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

The AL Central looks upside down. The Royals and Indians are on top, while the Sox, Tigers and Twins are chasing.

Obviously as a Royals fan, I'm waiting for the clock to strike midnight and we will come back down to earth, but there's a little buzz going around this team right now. Now 9-4 after Friday's game against Seattle.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Senior Minion

I've always felt that sooner or later, teams like the Orioles, Royals, and Pirates were going to click, and when they did, no one would see it coming.

That's not to say this is the year all three make the playoffs. Still, they're all playing some decent baseball, and that makes it that much more fun for the fans. Let's all catch a game!

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    I've always felt that sooner or later, teams like the Orioles, Royals, and Pirates were going to click, and when they did, no one would see it coming.

That's not to say this is the year all three make the playoffs. Still, they're all playing some decent baseball, and that makes it that much more fun for the fans. Let's all catch a game!
    It's nice to see these teams having success early in the season. We're see how long they can keep it up, including my Royals, who lost today to the M's. I'm just enjoying the ride while it's still rolling. Expect me to rant and complain later in the summer though.

Tomorrow is the beginning of a big series in the AL Central. The first place Cleveland Indians vs. the second place Kansas City Royals. Who would've thought that.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by royaldisneyfan View Post

Tomorrow is the beginning of a big series in the AL Central. The first place Cleveland Indians vs. the second place Kansas City Royals. Who would've thought that.
    Angels with five straight wins heading into a "showdown" (lol after 15 games) in Texas.

Meantime, keeping up the MLB Network's countdown of the top 20 games of the last 50 years...

Number Six...Red Sox-Yankees Game 7, 2003 ALCS (the Aaron "Frickin'" Boone game)

Number Five...Mets-Astros, 16-inning game six, from 1986.

PS...Hard to find a better one-two punch atop a rotation anywhere in the game than Jered Weaver and Dan Haren right now. Combined 8-0, with an ERA 1.23.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 04-18-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    PS...Hard to find a better one-two punch atop a rotation anywhere in the game than Jered Weaver and Dan Haren right now. Combined 8-0, with an ERA 1.23.
    Jered Weaver's numbers are crazy good right now. And Haren is an ace that's slotted behind another ace. That's as good of pitching duo as you're going to find right now. Maybe with the exception of the Phillies, but we all know that.
    Home away from Home.

• Rock Star Minion

Dodgers lost a ten-run lead in the eighth, in 1990. Tommy Lasorda was none too pleased.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Dodgers lost a ten-run lead in the eighth, in 1990. Tommy Lasorda was none too pleased.
    And it was an eight-run game in the ninth.

And would you believe, the night that this happened in August 1990, I arrived in Chicago as my buddy and I went on a trip to see three games between the Angels and White Sox, so that we could see the place where Babe Ruth and Joe Jackson once played before it was torn down. (Old Comiskey, of course).

A couple of mornings later, we read about the epic Dodgers collapse in LA (late games on the West Coast take a while to make it into print back there).

My buddy, who lives in Fullerton, CA...stayed at his girlfriend's house on the South Side. I stayed with her sister, who lived with her boyfriend, both Chicago PD, and their K-9's. An interesting week or so, to say the least.

Don't ask me what my wife told me last week. But this, I remember.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Major League Baseball is taking over the operations of...not the Montreal Expos, or even a team like the Florida Marlins.

A team with, at one time at least, one of the proudest traditions in all of sports. -- latimes.com

Hard to believe.

But having said that, the team is way better off in the long run.

Bye Frank. Bye Jamie. Go back to running your parking lots in Boston.

• Goofy

now hopefully a better owner can be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    Riot protection gear? Great heavens, no! Anyone threatens you like that, you let us know, and we will form a protective cordon around you.

We don't know where you live, but you shouldn't be too far from a minor league park; I would recommend trying to get to a game, and bring a radio to listen to the game. The radio broadcasters are always more descriptive, and combining that with what you see is a good way to start getting a feel for all that is, and the greatness of, baseball.

(In fact, in the olden days when Ned Martin did Red Sox broadcasts, that is exactly what I would do--watch the game with the sound off and the radio on).

hey guys sorry i havent been on here after you guys were nice enough to respond to my question. But yeah thanks for the tip. I guess it would be a different experience to be able to watch it in person than actually watching it on tv. on tv i find it really hard to get into it watching it alone. And i hear that going is better, same with hockey.

But anyway. if you guys dont mind me interrupting the current topic. First off I live in the inland empire/california area. So basically i know my local teams are either dodgers and or angels.

Im leaning towards dodgers because ive actually been to a few games before when i was REAL small so no big huge memories there especially not of following the game.

second of all. im finding it hard to follow the game since i dont know where i can do that, at least not for free. i dont know what radio station plays the games or what time they play the games. mlb.com is kind of confusing. Third of all - i dont know how many games there are til (and this is where the embarrassing question comes in) the play offs?, world series? happens. i dont know the tournament lingo for it. SERIOUSLY IM SO LOST!

fourth of all. im so sorry for being so ignorant on this but you wouldnt believe how easy it is to never learn this stuff.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TortugaNinja View Post
    hey guys sorry i havent been on here after you guys were nice enough to respond to my question. But yeah thanks for the tip. I guess it would be a different experience to be able to watch it in person than actually watching it on tv. on tv i find it really hard to get into it watching it alone. And i hear that going is better, same with hockey.

But anyway. if you guys dont mind me interrupting the current topic. First off I live in the inland empire/california area. So basically i know my local teams are either dodgers and or angels.

Im leaning towards dodgers because ive actually been to a few games before when i was REAL small so no big huge memories there especially not of following the game.

second of all. im finding it hard to follow the game since i dont know where i can do that, at least not for free. i dont know what radio station plays the games or what time they play the games. mlb.com is kind of confusing. Third of all - i dont know how many games there are til (and this is where the embarrassing question comes in) the play offs?, world series? happens. i dont know the tournament lingo for it. SERIOUSLY IM SO LOST!

fourth of all. im so sorry for being so ignorant on this but you wouldnt believe how easy it is to never learn this stuff.
    First off, welcome again and we hope we have a community here where you will always feel welcome.

Some random thoughts that might be of help.

First of all, the Inland Empire is more of an Angels fan area, though there are plenty of Dodger fans also.

The Angels flagship radio station is AM 830/KLAA. I'm not sure hoiw strong their signal is in the IE...the Dodgers are on AM 790/KABC...I know that station doesn't have the best signal. Both teams might have affiliated stations in their radio networks that might serve better. Every game of both teams is on TV. You have to have basic cable (FSN or ESPN) for most, but they are on the old-fashioned free-tv at least once or twice a week, with the Dodgers on Channel 9 and Angels on 13.

Newspapers like the LA Times and OC Register can be helpful...they have calendars in the sports sections for their pro teams going a week out.

Also, the "sports on radio and TV" sections give you the breakdown each day of where to find the games.

If it's easy to "never learn this stuff" you'll also be amazed how easy it is to "learn all this stuff". If someone like me can figure it out, anyone can.

And the baseball season is three weeks old today. The season runs until the end of September, when the playoffs start. The World Series begins in late October.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast