Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2011

• Senior Minion

Baseball 2011

It's finally here! Another great season of major league baseball!

Here's hoping your team does better than expected; that we all get to a couple of games; and that we have a great season full of fun, great plays, and exciting wins.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Baseball 2011

Thank you sir! While I don't follow baseball as fanatically as I used to, something about a new season always makes me smile and full of hope.

• Senior Minion

By the way, Angels fans (and you know who you are, RadioBarry), if the MLB Network is showing their 20th Greatest Games series, you might want to skip #8.

I cannot believe people would go behind Dave Henderson's back and say "He's the guy who killed Donie Moore".

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I'm ready. I didn't think I'd be too excited about either Chicago team this year, but they actually don't look too bad. One things for sure, its never boring. Opening day is just a few days away, and who doesn't get excited about opening day? I do. Everyone has the hope that their team will be in the World Series when the season ends. Especially Cubs fans.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

2011 is predicted to be a rough one for my Royals record wise. It should be fun though seeing some of the kids from the #1 farm system in baseball come up at some point in the season. Less than 24 hours til first pitch!!!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I'm ready. I didn't think I'd be too excited about either Chicago team this year, but they actually don't look too bad.
    Barbaraann, if nothing else, Wrigley is still a great place to catch a baseball game, and I hope you get to the park a couple of times this year.

RDF, I hope the Royals are much more competitive this year, and that it won't be too much longer before they're at .500 and starting to challenge.

Play Ball!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I used to go to a lot of baseball games. Actually I haven't been to a baseball game in quite a long time. I never minded going by myself when I could purchase Bleacher seats, ahead of time, at a reasonable price, and sit under the Center Field scoreboard. However, things have changed at Wrigley, and now I do all my baseball watching at home. That's not saying that if somebody had a few tickets and I was invited, I wouldn't go. I just miss the days when I could grab the schedule before Opening Day, and pick out some dates, and head down to the park, and get me some decent seats for games throughout the season at a reasonable amount of money. That's not possible for me anymore.

Doesn't mean I don't still love them Cubs, and root for the Sox as well.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

The season has begun! Great to see green grass and live baseball again!

Weather was freezing in Kansas City. So were the Royals' bats. Got nothing against Jared Weaver. Torii Hunter hit one of the furthest balls I've ever seen hit. Angels win 4-2.

If there is a silver lining, KC fans got to see some of the future that's coming up. Aaron Crow, who has a great arm and Tim Collins, who also has a big arm attached to a 5'6" body. Like I said before, it's going to be a long season if you're just looking at W-L record in Kansas City. But I'm very excited to see some of these kids come up.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by royaldisneyfan View Post

Weather was freezing in Kansas City. So were the Royals' bats. Got nothing against Jared Weaver. Torii Hunter hit one of the furthest balls I've ever seen hit. Angels win 4-2.
    I caught this game. I was hoping they would win.

Yankees won their first game, but I don't think it aired on the west coast.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It's opening day, and I am listening to all the pregame hype that is taking place around Wrigley Field today. They have dedicated this season to the memory of Ron Santo, #10, who passed away last December. I understand that a statue will be unveiled later this month.

I googled the Cubs Website, and added it to my favorites like I usually do this time of year. I clicked on seating and ticket prices, and up popped what looked like a brand new chart that I had never seen before. Either that, or it's been way too long since I looked at a seating and pricing chart. I was amazed at what I saw. First of all the games are sorted by opponents and are all priced differently. Then of course the seats are priced in each of those categories by the location of the seat. It makes for a pretty confusing chart. Not to mention the prices. No where near what I am willing to pay to sit in Wrigley Field.

Happy Opening Day everyone.

•   
    • debating what to put here

Dodgers started the season by beating the Giants. It doesn't get much better than that.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    It's opening day, and I am listening to all the pregame hype that is taking place around Wrigley Field today. They have dedicated this season to the memory of Ron Santo, #10, who passed away last December. I understand that a statue will be unveiled later this month.

I googled the Cubs Website, and added it to my favorites like I usually do this time of year. I clicked on seating and ticket prices, and up popped what looked like a brand new chart that I had never seen before. Either that, or it's been way too long since I looked at a seating and pricing chart. I was amazed at what I saw. First of all the games are sorted by opponents and are all priced differently. Then of course the seats are priced in each of those categories by the location of the seat. It makes for a pretty confusing chart. Not to mention the prices. No where near what I am willing to pay to sit in Wrigley Field.

Happy Opening Day everyone.
    I've only looked at Angel Stadium, but it is priced that way. People can watch angel games pretty cheap...unless they are playing the Yankees and then they jack the prices up.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I guess I never paid much attention to ticket prices, since I haven't paid for a game in a very long time. So I wasn't aware that teams price their games according to who they are playing. I guess baseball's natural rivals, such as the Cardinals/Cubs, and in the most recent years Brewers/Cubs will naturally sell out those games quicker. The prices are more because they know the demand is there. It is really all about supply and demand. Baseball is a business after all, even if they are giving the fans, "the business". At least, for the most part I can watch my favorite teams on televison, and I'm not opening up my wallet, or am I? Some may say, it even costs me.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Scubabe, I watched the Yankees on Opening Day. The game was on ESPN.

Anyone who discounts the Yankees with that lineup, and Rivera like the Mariano of old, does so at their peril. I certainly do not.

Ticket prices in all major sports have long since been ridiculous. Only the well-to-do, and those with company seats and suites and like can afford to go very often any more, unless you're talking about bleacher or oxygen-supply seats.

I know it's only three games, but the signs from the Angels are all too familiar.

No clutch hitting with runners in scoring position.
    An averaqe of three runs per game.
    A bullpen that walks the house, and gets lit up.
    By the "mighty" (sorry, RDF) Royals.
    Hope springs eternal, but I don't like what I've seen thus far.

PS to Wotan...the one thing I wish they would have addressed in the LB sohw about 10/12/1986 was...while admittedly they had to be deflated by that loss, why indeed did the Angels just quit after that game, and show no signs of life in games 6 or 7. They still led, 3-2 after that Game 5.

And anyone who would tell Dave Henderson that he was responsible for Donnie Moore's death would be an idiot of the worst kind.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 04-02-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Cubs, 5 outs from the World Series, and along came Bartman, and the team just laid down and died. Makes no sense to me to this day. Heartbreak.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast