Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Infinitized!

Atlanta Thrashers movin' to Winnipeg...

Atlanta Thrashers are probably set to move to the city of Winnie the Pooh...
    It's not final yet, but pretty much a done deal:
    Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg - The Globe and Mail

Welcome back Jets!

Now the question remains, will they retain the name Thrashers or resurrect the Jets?

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Atlanta Thrashers movin' to Winnipeg...

They should resurrect The Jets.

This is a good thing for the NHL!!!

• Infinitized!

There's a long weekend this weekend (Victoria Day) so it looks like the official announcement won't be made until Tuesday.

I really think this is a bad idea for growing the game in the States. While I love the idea of having another team in Canada, this is very similar to the Sonics situation when they relocated to Oklahoma city. Not the business side(don't really know actually), but the players side. So many great young talent on that team and in a few years, could contend for not only a deep run in the playoffs, but a cup too if they keep growing together as a unit. Atlanta is a huge city and a good regular season and some post-season success (say 2nd round, like the Preds) in the next 2 years can really grow the team and it could be very successful. I really thought that if Winnipeg were to get a team, it would be through an expansion team. While the team would be a hit either way, Atlanta and other US cities may now be more reluctant to own an NHL franchise b/c of the fear the league will just move the team up North. Teams need more than 10 years in a city in order to be good. It took the Canucks years before they were good enough to have sellouts every night.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfanatic View Post
    I really think this is a bad idea for growing the game in the States.
    Why bother pushing hockey in US markets where there isn't a fanbase? Our dollar is up. Stronger fanbase in Winnipeg. Hockey is to Canada like soccer is to the UK, Cricket is to India... and Baseball, Football, and Basketball (even thought it was invented by a Canadian) are to the US.

Now, how about the possibility of the Coyotes moving to Quebec? Long live the Nordiques!

• Minion

They're going to need to do some renovation to the MTS Centre if they plan on having an NHL team in that building. It currently seats just over 15,000. There's not a team in the league with an arena capacity under 16,000.

As for growing the sport, this has been discussed in great depth since the lockout, but the fact is the NHL is the only sport currently growing viewership. Others have plateaued or are falling off (NBA). The contract signed last month between NBC and the NHL was HUGE. Far bigger than the one signed after the lockout.

NHL, NBC sign record-setting 10-year TV deal - NHL.com - News

100 guaranteed games and all playoffs from conference semis on. Previously conference semis and finals were discretionary with only the finals guaranteed. The previous agreement was also only an $80 million flat fee whereas the new contract calls for $200 million+ annually. This is big bucks we're talking about. Enough to bump the cap by about $2.5 mil per year as well.

I'd prefer to not see many teams relocate to Canada, but the league will be just fine without Atlanta. Their market just, well... sucked. Phoenix has a chance though. The area is heavily populated with snow birds and they are a GREAT sports city. I know this from the year I lived down there (though that year WAS during the lockout). I think the Coyotes will actually be sticking around for quite some time and could end up with a solid fan base in a nontraditional market. We will see in time.

• Infinitized!

Official announcement is supposed to be tomorrow, however, I heard some rumblings that it may be delayed.

I hope the NHL isn't pressured to put another team in Quebec or god forbid, Hamilton. Hear me out, I'm not saying those aren't great markets for teams, it's just that the only places teams will be moved from is either Columbus or Phoenix. Then who'll play in the West? Hamilton? Yes, Hamilton will be considered in the Western Conference and Toronto will be in the Eastern Conference. Travel and fatigue are a more major issue in the West than in the East. Almost every team in the East is clumped together in a way that you can get to each city by bus if needed. When the playoffs roll around, teams in the West will be even more tired than those in the East. Yes, I'm whining, but it's true. No player will admit it, but it'll be in their mind, and they'll feel it in their game. Their muscles will be tighter from all the sitting, their mind won't be as sharp from the lack of sleep, while teams in the East will have that extra little jump.

BrodyDanger, I think you're right, the MTS centre will need some major renovations. Which is why I think, and this is just me, that they'll announce the team is moving the Winnipeg, but maybe after next season. The MTS centre was built for AHL hockey, not for NHL hockey. Not only will they need to add more seats, but alot of the locker room areas and equipment areas will need to be upgraded for the needs of NHL players, who have always had good facilities. A year of work will not only help the MTS Centre transition into an NHL arena, it'll also help transition the league into have a franchise in Winnipeg again. They will have more time to divide up the conferences and divisions again, giving adequete notice to GM's and the fans. More hype = more money. Heck, I'm sure alot more people will go to Thrashers games if they know it's the last season their there.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfanatic View Post
    BrodyDanger, I think you're right, the MTS centre will need some major renovations. Which is why I think, and this is just me, that they'll announce the team is moving the Winnipeg, but maybe after next season. The MTS centre was built for AHL hockey, not for NHL hockey.
    Yes, they did say the MTS will need renos. In one of the articles it said that either the provincial or municipal governments were willing to help out with that.

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Why bother pushing hockey in US markets where there isn't a fanbase? Our dollar is up. Stronger fanbase in Winnipeg. Hockey is to Canada like soccer is to the UK, Cricket is to India... and Baseball, Football, and Basketball (even thought it was invented by a Canadian) are to the US.
    I agree. The league tried too much by venturing into markets where hockey was well down the pecking order of sports to watch. On the flip side, they've managed to also successfully go into markets that you wouldn't expect hockey to flourish, such as Nashville.

There's no point staying in a struggling market (sorry Thrashers fans) it's far better to relocate and flourish elsewhere.

Now, how about the possibility of the Coyotes moving to Quebec? Long live the Nordiques!
    Yup. Even though the city has stumped up the cash for next season to keep the 'yotes in town, I can easily see the them moving to Quebec for '12-'13 as their new arena will be well under construction. Its already got backing from a big telecommunications company over there, so its only a matter of time. (Pending Bettman's ego getting in the way).

There's also question marks over the Panthers, Blue Jackets and even the Islanders so who knows where they could end up. The Deputy Commissioner has already said that Seattle is somewhere they're looking at (if they had a new arena) so the times they are a changing for the NHL.

But for now... welcome back Winnipeg and hopefully the Jets!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Why bother pushing hockey in US markets where there isn't a fanbase?
    I think you are under estimating the popularity of hockey here in Atlanta. We have seven (and a half) sheets of ice that are booked constantly. Hockey is the home coming sport for Kennesaw State University (approx. 22,000 students) and their Home games are huge events that fills the little ice rink (capacity is only 1,238) and spills out into the parking lot. The Thrashers not being loved by Atlanta has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of appeal or love of the sport, but the mismanagement of the Atlanta Spirit.

• Infinitized!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I think you are under estimating the popularity of hockey here in Atlanta. We have seven (and a half) sheets of ice that are booked constantly. Hockey is the home coming sport for Kennesaw State University (approx. 22,000 students) and their Home games are huge events that fills the little ice rink (capacity is only 1,238) and spills out into the parking lot. The Thrashers not being loved by Atlanta has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of appeal or love of the sport, but the mismanagement of the Atlanta Spirit.
    And do you have peach pie in Winnipeg?

• Bangarang!

No name until after the season ticket drive
    Winnipeg's NHL name to follow ticket drive - NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs 2011 - CBC Sports

Makes me wonder if Jets is not happening.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Infinitized!

Good news out of Winnipeg. They met their target of selling 13,000 season tickets today. So the next big announcement will be the team's name, and here's hoping for a return of the Jets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast