• Circle of Ancients

USC Stripped of 2004 National Championship

Wow!!!

University of Southern California stripped of '04 BCS national championship - ESPN Los Angeles

The BCS stripped USC of its 2004 national title Monday.

The decision was not unexpected but required the NCAA's May 26 rejection of USC's appeal of sanctions stemming from the Reggie Bush investigation to move forward.

The BCS ruling vacated the results of the 2005 Orange Bowl -- the national title game for 2004 -- as well as the Trojans participation in the 2006 Rose Bowl, in which USC lost to Texas in the championship game.

As a result of the BCS's Presidential Oversight Committee ruling, there will be no BCS national champion in the record book for the 2004-05 season.

"The BCS arrangement crowns a national champion, and the BCS games are showcase events for postseason football," BCS executive director Bill Hancock said in a statement. "One of the best ways of ensuring that they remain so is for us to foster full compliance with NCAA rules. Accordingly, in keeping with the NCAA's recent action, USC's appearances are being vacated.

"This action reflects the scope of the BCS arrangement and is consistent with the NCAA's approach when it subsequently discovers infractions by institutions whose teams have played in NCAA championship events."

The BCS and NCAA are not formally affiliated, but the BCS reacted to the NCAA finding that Bush was ineligible during the 2004 season because he received extra benefits from a would-be sports marketer.

"This was not an unexpected outcome," USC athletic director Pat Haden said. "We will comply with all requirements mandated by the result of this BCS vote."

Re: USC Stripped of 2004 National Championship

This Bruin is smiling!
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Cars Land Rocks!

So is this Sun Devil.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Justice is served!

I hope Carrol ROTS in the rain in Seattle.

While I am not a USC fan, what he left for those hard working kids was embarrassment and meaningless rings.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

^ Nah. That's what happens when you sell your soul to be a Trojan.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

UCLA's head coach picked USC for his law degree. I'm thankful that he went to USC for his legal education and UCLA for his coaching gig, and not vice versa.

As for the vacated championship, it was inevitable, even if it was total crap. The evidence of Bush getting improper benefits prior to the 2005 season was garbage. Even worse than the evidence that Pete Carroll did anything wrong. But it's done. USC never appealed the vacated wins, so this was just a formality. Besides, USC is still the only team with a national championship in 2004, so I don't really care that much.

The 75 player limit, on the other hand, and the second year of bowl ineligibility burns my hide. On the other hand, if USC had been bowl eligible this year, I'd have never seen Rome, Frankfurt or Athens. I'd have seen El Paso again. It's nice being able to take a winter vacation. My Bruin friends had been telling me that for years ...
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch