Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

NBA Lockout started today

i just found out the nba went on lockout today here an artcail on it
    The NBA's thrilling season came with a high price tag.

LeBron James' move to Miami and Dirk Nowitzki's title in Dallas couldn't hide a simple fact: Owners insisted they were losing money, perhaps $300 million this season, and they weren't interested in subsidizing a system they felt guaranteed they would keep losing more.

So the NBA locked out its players Thursday night, a long-expected move that puts the 2011-12 season in jeopardy and comes as the NFL is trying to end its own work stoppage.

The NBA lockout began at 9:01 p.m. PDT. It will last until players and owners can agree on a new collective bargaining agreement, one owners demand must give all teams a chance to profit.

"We had a great year in terms of the appreciation of our fans for our game. It just wasn't a profitable one for the owners, and it wasn't one that many of the smaller market teams particularly enjoyed or felt included in," Commissioner David Stern said. "The goal here has been to make the league profitable and to have a league where all 30 teams can compete."

Despite a three-hour meeting and a final proposal from the players - which NBA leaders said would have raised average player salaries to $7 million in the sixth year of the deal - the sides could not close the enormous gulf between their positions.

"The problem is there's such a gap in terms of the numbers, where they are and where we are, and we just can't find any way to bridge that gap," union chief Billy Hunter said.

All league business is officially on hold, starting with the free agency period that would have opened today. The NBA's summer league in Las Vegas already has been canceled, preseason games in Europe were never scheduled, and players might have to decide if they want to risk playing in this summer's Olympic qualifying tournaments without the NBA's help in securing insurance in case of injury.

Teams will be prohibited from having any contact with their players, most of whom won't be paid until a deal is done.

"We're going to stand up for what we have to do, no matter how long it's going to take," Thunder star Kevin Durant said. "No matter how long the lockout's going to take, we're going to stand up. We're not going to give in."

The lockout comes exactly one year after one of the NBA's most anticipated days in recent years, when James, Dwyane Wade and the rest of the celebrated class of 2010 became free agents on July 1, 2010.

That free agency bonanza - highlighted by James, Wade and Chris Bosh joining forces in Miami - got the league started on a season where ticket and merchandise sales, television ratings and buzz all increased. That weakened the owners' case that the system was broken beyond repair, but it also demonstrated why they wanted changes.

Stern said owners feel pressured to spend as much as possible to prove their commitment to winning to fans.

Kings trade Casspi: J.J. Hickson's athleticism and potential made him a budding NBA star, but his inconsistency made him expendable - so the Cavaliers decided to move on without him.

They cleared out a logjam at power forward by trading the enigmatic Hickson to the Kings for forward Omri Casspi and a future first-round pick.

Casspi became the first Israeli to play in the NBA when Sacramento drafted him 23rd overall in 2009. The designation came with as much fanfare as it did pressure to succeed from a country that loves basketball. He started 27 games for the Kings, but his minutes were limited behind promising youngsters DeMarcus Cousins, Jason Thompson and Donte Green.

Briefly: Miami guard Eddie House exercised his player option, remaining with the Heat at $1.4 million next season. ... Lakers guard Shannon Brown opted out of his contract, becoming an unrestricted free agent.

Read more: NBA lockout puts 2011-12 season in jeopardy
    NBA lockout puts 2011-12 season in jeopardy
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

• Rock Star Minion

Re: NBA Lockout started today

I'm guessing the owners can hold their breaths longer than the players can.

Here is the problem of the owners:

"We had a great year in terms of the appreciation of our fans for our game. It just wasn't a profitable one for the owners, and it wasn't one that many of the smaller market teams particularly enjoyed or felt included in," Commissioner David Stern said. "The goal here has been to make the league profitable and to have a league where all 30 teams can compete."
    The League is more profitable when certain teams are in the Playoffs and Finals. So, the league (which is to say, the owners) really needs to decide whether its goal is to be profitable, or should they let the league be responsible for creating equal chances for all teams.

IMO, The Commissioner of a league should be responsible for the "best interests of the game." And, if the game is not interesting enough, the market will tell everyone so, and prices/wages will be adjusted eventually.

Here's the problem with the players:

"We're going to stand up for what we have to do, no matter how long it's going to take," Thunder star Kevin Durant said. "No matter how long the lockout's going to take, we're going to stand up. We're not going to give in."

Not sure what Kevin Durant thinks the players are standing up for. You get paid to play a game. No games: no pay.
    I would suggest hard cap, share the revenue beyond that, distributed by contracted amount of salary for that year. So, every player gets a bonus (or not) on July 1 based on prior season's profits. If there's a loss, the cap goes down for the next year. If there is a profit then cap goes up the following year.
    Owners also have to decide what is common revenue and what revenue they get to keep for themselves. Start with 25% (percentage will be based on % of total revenue that is total expenses) of all tickets, merch, TV revenue.
    Last edited by sediment; 10-13-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Future Indy Castmember

I dont understand why a lockout just happened in the midst of a most anticipated season after Lebron and Bosh went to Miami and Dallas won their first title. Hopefully they can do something to salvage next season, I don't care if its shortened.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    I dont understand why a lockout just happened in the midst of a most anticipated season after Lebron and Bosh went to Miami and Dallas won their first title. Hopefully they can do something to salvage next season, I don't care if its shortened.
    Not much to understand.
    They don't play (nor are they allowed even to speak to one another) without a collective barganing agreement between league and players.
    Current collective bargaining agreement ended 7/1/2011.
    So, lockout.

Last season's Finals result is not relevant to the situation.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

They need to make the game interesting for the teams that never make the playoffs........

How about the top 7 seeds in each conference automatically advance (right now it's 8) but instead of the remaining teams being sent home, every single one of them go into a special tournament, playing a single round robin against all the non-playoff teams in their conference.

the highest ranked team getting to play all the round robin games at home....the 2nd placed team all but one at home, the 3rd place all but 2, etc....with the last place team in a conf having to play the entire round robin on the road.

Top 3 teams(in each conf) of round robin play advance to a second round robin to eliminate one more team.

Now, the top two teams(in each conf.) play each other to see who gets the final playoff spot.

The two losing teams(one from each conf.) will play a consolation prize game.....the winner getting the 1st pick in the draft.

This way fans will have something to cheer about right up to the end of the season.....and no team will be tanking the end of the year for a better draft pick since having a better record will actually mean something at the end of the season.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Hooterville, USA

The season is too long and the playoffs are even longer! Realistically, there are only 4 or 5 teams that can win the championship every year. With the high salaries, there are teams that can't pay for the better players, or aren't a great destination for players. Revenue sharing in my opinion, helps the mismanaged clubs by taking away from the clubs that know how to make a profit.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Just good enough

I doubt we get a season this year, which really is a shame for the fans that love the game. Oh well, it wasn't like I expected much from the Golden State Warriors this season anyway. Maybe a year off will do this team good to help them recover from an injury plagued season.

That and Mark Jackson at the helm won't lead to much success.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

• Hooterville, USA

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a season, even a short one. I don't think it would be good for either owners or players if they shut down and don't play one. The NBA has enough problems with their image now, this would only blacken their other eye.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• My prices are INSANE!

As of today all pre-season games have been cancelled and the first two weeks of the regular season might be cancelled as well.

I wonder if I can get the Italian Basketball league? At least Kobe will be playing.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Future Indy Castmember

First two weeks of the NBA season is cancelled following todays meeting which failed to reach an agreement on a new CBA.

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The players need to wake up and smell the gym socks.......or at least look at recent history. When the NHL locked their players out in February of 2005, the team owners offered a cap as high as $42.5 million while the players went as low as $49 million. One would think, that after a year of no hockey the cap would have ended up around, let's say $45 or $46 million, right?

But no. It actually was set at $39 million. That's right, the final number was lower than the owners' offer in February. The players are being incredibly stupid here......in fact, even if they get a reasonable compromise in the end, the money they would lose from just 10 weeks of lost games will probably wipe it all out. Lose a whole year and even those with long careers ahead of them may not recover the entire loss.

Remember, it's not about who is right and who is wrong....it's about who has the most leverage. The team owners have decades to recover the loss of these games; the average NBA career is less than 6 years,,,,therefore the players do not have the luxury of time. They should have taken the 50% deal while it was still on the table.....because if recent history holds true, they're going to end up signing a deal worth -less- than the one they just passed on.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Rock Star Minion

Quick note: the owners are WAAAAAY richer than any individual player. Who starts running out of money faster?

• My prices are INSANE!

I now raise you two more weeks.
    Looks like this one is going the distance.

Stop by my website

• Future Indy Castmember

Its like whenever they break off, they quickly go back to the tables. They made progress and will meet again today: NBA, players make progress toward deal - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

• My prices are INSANE!

"No NBA for you!!!"..."Come back one year!!!" says the Soup Nazi.

Stop by my website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast