•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Say It Ain't So, Joe

Joe Paterno, who was quote possibly the greatest coach in college football history, knew Jerry Sandusky, his buddy and former assistant coach, was raping 7-10 year old boys in the locker room. And all he did was report it to his athletic director and tell his buddy not to bring those kids around Penn State anymore. I was a huge Paterno fan, but his failure to do anything meaningful about this meant that a bunch of other little kids got raped over the last 8 years. He refused to step down, so the Penn State board of trustees fired him.

Joe Paterno, president Graham Spanier out at Penn State - ESPN

I like the decision. Joe should have resigned immediately when this story came to light. In fact, a whole lot of other coaches at Penn State probably need to go, too.
    Fight On! Beat the Irish!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Golden State of Mind

Re: Say It Ain't So, Joe

Don't think he 'needed' to resign at all, and I'm glad he didn't. Penn State as a whole failed those kids but the biggest name JoePa is getting all the blame. Joe has been fired so no opinion on that can change that, but the fact that the coach (McQuery) that actually witnessed the acts is still a coach is wrong.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

That one should be gone, too. I cannot believe that a big strong 28 year old former football player could walk in on an old naked man raping a 10 year old boy and run away, even if he did report the crime later to his bosses. There is no excuse for him not physically stepping in and putting an end to the attack.

But likewise, there is no excuse for Paterno allowing Sandusky to continue to come on campus, for Paterno to leave to others the task of bringing these horrific crimes to light, and for Paterno putting his fear of embarrassment ahead of his moral obligations. He's getting some blame, which he deserves, but he's hardly getting all the blame. He's just one of several guys who should have been fired - the president, the VP, the AD, the coach, and every last ******* who coached there and knew what was going on, but kept their mouths shut and turned a blind eye.

So much for the notion that football reveals character.
    Fight On! Beat the Irish!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Golden State of Mind

I would like to go back on what I said previously... this is not about Penn State football, or the legend that is JoePa, its about something much larger than that, and all who had knowledge of what happened and let it happen should suffer consequences.

I am also extremely proud of the Penn State students who seemed to have turned things around from when the announcement was made that JoePa was fired. Holding a candlelight vigil for abuse victims on campus was a big step in the right direction.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I would like to go back on what I said previously... this is not about Penn State football, or the legend that is JoePa, its about something much larger than that, and all who had knowledge of what happened and let it happen should suffer consequences.
    It is about football when they put football above those children.