• -

It's official! Magic Johnson's group was selected as the winning bid for the Dodgers

According to the LA Times tonight, Magic's group was selected as the winning bid. The record $2 billion sale is now awaiting approval.

Magic Johnson-led group is picked as Dodgers' next owner - latimes.com

And the Dodger website said this:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la
    Last edited by calsig31; 03-27-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Circle of Ancients

Re: It's official! Magic Johnson's group was selected as the winning bid for the Dod

That said, I'm still awaiting clarification on what McCrook's role is in the parking lots, and how the price of the Dodgers quadrupled in the last 8 years.

Re: It's official! Magic Johnson's group was selected as the winning bid for the Dod

---------- Post added 03-28-2012 at 10:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

That said, I'm still awaiting clarification on what McCrook's role is in the parking lots, and how the price of the Dodgers quadrupled in the last 8 years.
    It is curious how the price of the Dodgers when purchased by McCrook was $430 million and ballooned in value to $2 billion.... hmmmm. I guess that is the current value of a team in the Los Angeles market. It makes me wonder how much a NFL franchise would cost in Los Angeles.... must be an obscene amount.

• -

... and how the price of the Dodgers quadrupled in the last 8 years.
    It's probably directly proportional to how the price of a Dodger Dog has quadrupled in the last 8 years...
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Rock Star Minion

Someone is overpaying.
    An investment group is going to want a reasonable rate of return, and will not want to wait for the eventual selling date in four years. What is interesting is that McCourt couldn't get cash flow to work (if you exclude his personal withdrawals) -- I mean even before fans took their dollars away from him last year -- so how will a group out $2 billion make it work?
    Let's suppose a reasonable return on investment is 5%. That's $100 million per year. That's $29 more per attendee. New TV contract might help. Some kind of "spending experience" might be built. Or some kind of synergy thing with foreigners.
    I think they sell in about 5 years.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

They overpaid. I don't care. I'm happy.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

• Circle of Ancients

Anybody catch the Press Conference yesterday?

Very enthusiastic and already some good news, parking has been reduced to $10 and McCourt get's nothing from the lots.

I'm predicting that when the Dodgers come home next week we'll be seeing an obvious up-tick in attendance. I know we are going to try and get to a game next weekend (for the first time in almost 3 years).

Stan Kasten is also working on getting Kosher Hot Dogs and the Cool A Coo's back!!!!

Best quote of the day goes to Magic:

"We should be clapping just for that, that Frank McCourt is no longer here"

I haven't been to the stadium for ahwile, as I am a young Giant fan, and I don't feel safe anymore, at least for now.

When did they get rid of Kosher Hotdogs? That just seems stupid with such a large Jewish community in LA.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• Circle of Ancients

^ It's been a few years. Blame McCourt.

As for safety around the stadium, they stated that was their top priority. While I won't be going to any Dodgers/Giants games for awhile (and most likely never again) I'm not opposed to going to the stadium when another team is in town.

I know that doesn't help you though.

I'm 20 now. When in middle school, me and my friend (who is a dodger fan) would go to a game almost every week. People would fool around with me then, but now, that I'm older, I doubt they would hold back.

I JUST WANT TO WATCH THE GAME!

• Circle of Ancients

I honestly think having Magic involved is going to change the dynamic of the fans behavior. Sure, you are ALWAYS going to have those bad eggs, it happens, but Magic gets (and deserves) so much respect in this town that I think people will be cool at the stadium. People didn't respect McCrook, and therefore didn't respect the Dodgers.

This is a new day and I for one can't wait to get back to the stadium. Hopefully next weekend sometime!!

Sf@La next week!