• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Talking Los Angeles intends to bid for 2024 Summer Olympics

Los Angeles intends to bid for 2024 Summer Olympics (ESPN)

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa sent a letter this week to the United States Olympic Committee saying that L.A. intends to compete to host its third summer games, having had the honors in 1932 and 1984. From a transit standpoint, the second phase of the Expo Line, the Gold Line Foothill Extension, the Regional Connector, the Crenshaw/LAX Line and the first phase of the Westside Subway Extension are scheduled to be open by then. But there’s this: some type of transit to LAX is currently on a schedule to be completed in 2028 and I imagine that’s something the USOC would consider with so many people coming to town. Here’s a recent Metro staff report on possible ways to accelerate the project.
    Metro's The Source | Transportation News & Views

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Los Angeles intends to bid for 2024 Summer Olympics

Los Angeles held the Summer Olympics in 1932 and 1984 with the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum serving as the first and only two-time stadium host of the Olympics.

The host for the 2024 Olympics will not be chosen until 2017.
    Los Angeles tells USOC it wants to bid on 2024 Games - ESPN Los Angeles

• Under that tree again!

LA is a wonderful place to host the games.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I sure hope we get them, I remember the '84 games fondly. My Dad was remodeling the house that summer and the two of us worked on it while the Olympics were on TV and just spent a lot of quality time together.

Besides the economic benefits, I think LA might speed up some transportation projects to be ready for the games and the end result would be LA better for it in the end.

• Spongebob/Disneyland fan

Bikini Bottom (Fine, SoCal. But that's all you are getting out of me!

If this does happen, Disneyland will be PACKED.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBFfI9j2cFk
    I have ridden both the Disneyland and Magic Kingdom ones

I remember the 1984 Games fondly too. My dad worked for ABC at the time and was part of the lighting crew on the studio segments. I got to attend gymnastics at UCLA and some of the equestrian competitions at Santa Anita racetrack.
    Los Angeles is a perfect venue because the city already has so much of the necessary infrastructure already built. I thought I once read that Los Angeles is the back-up host city in case the original city can't meet their Olympic deadlines. (Such as the case with Athens, Greece-they had several issues.) I can't remember where i read that though.
    Oddly enough, Disneyland was a ghost town during the 1984 Games. People were so afraid that because of the Games that there would be huge crowds and stayed away. I don't think that will happen if LA gets the games again.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    LA is a wonderful place to host the games.
    Should be permanent host.

The folk$ in charge might not under$tand what it take$ to get the Olympic$ these days. Last time, they were begging u$. But then that Olympic$ made a ton of money, $o they want to get their cut.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Interesting to say the least.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    Los Angeles is a perfect venue because the city already has so much of the necessary infrastructure already built.
    Which is a positive point. LA and the area beyond goes from sea to mountains. Can easily host sailing and mountain biking. Has tons of university and professional stadiums and arenas of many types. Hotels all over the place. Transportation systems of all types and more already being built.

If you host them in other places, they have to build much of it if not all. LA is a massive city but so was Bejing that had to build almost everything, while in LA it's in place. Many olympic games are hosted in a city but events can be dozens and scores and even 100 miles away. Even for the smaller winter games which take place at pre exsiting ski areas in Europe need an ice arena that is out of the mountain range. If LA hosts and they do canoe races in Mission Bay, San Diego, it would seem like a big deal that the games are in two cities, but that is most often the case everywhere else.

At the worst what LA would need, is to build the world's biggest stadium to host the opening and closing ceremonies. After they could use it as NFL stadium.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Seattle might make a bid, too:

Seattle To Talk About Possible ’24 Olympic Bid | Sportspress Northwest

The Seattle Sports Commission confirmed Wednesday that it will enter into “informal” discussions with the U.S. Olympic Committee about the possibility of the city entering the process of becoming a bid city for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games, Sportspress Northwest has learned.

“It’s not a bid, it’s just an opportunity for us to consider whether we want to be considered,” said Ralph Morton, executive director of the SSC. “We’ll hear more. It’s discovery time for us. It’s an opportunity to learn more and find out what that means. There are no commitments involved.”