Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Re: Bike Paths in Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I've gone through red lights, but usually that's because some intersections don't detect bikes and will never change. One near my house, actually, won't change for me.
    Complain to the local authority. At the very least, loop sensitivity can be increased so that bikes are detected. Caltrans may require them to apply a permanent fix, especially if they are planning to do any work on that intersection.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The Santa Monica Daily Press looks at how big employers are working to comply with the city's mandate that roughly one-third of employees commute to work by bus, bike, carpool, or foot.
    SaMo Desperately Trying to Get Workers Out of Their Cars - The Commute - Curbed LA

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Wow, more biking news:

Mapping LA's Bike Commuting Habits By Neighborhood - Cool Map Thing - Curbed LA

It seems like everybody's hopping on the bandwagon...

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    It seems like everybody's hopping on the bandwagon...
    Cool!

I do complain to the city when I notice an intersection is unresponsive (and they make it more sensitive). This particular intersection is a T-type, with the cross street coming in on the side. Going away from home, I don't have a bike lane, and use the regular traffic lane; that detects me. Coming home, on the "top" of the T, I have a bike lane (so I'm required to use it). Normally I'd hit the walk button, but it's a straight-forward lane, so no crossing pedestrian lane.

Can't use the traffic lane to get detected. No detectors in the bike lane. No option for hitting a walk button. So I either roll through it or wait a moment if there's a car that will trip it. It's a badly-designed intersection for bikes, but it was set up before bikes were this popular; at that point in time, it would have been pretty much just kids messing around on sidewalks so nobody cared if they could trip anything.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

You are not "required" to use a bike lane. It's there for your safety and convenience, not to restrict you. That's a popular misconception. There are plenty of reasons NOT to stay in a bike lane. Placing your bike where it can be detected is one of them.

OTOH, I have seen intersections where a detection loop has been added to the bike lane and a symbol has been painted on the pavement to show where to place your bike.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.

Some of the new intersections (or ones that have had upgrades) do have loops in the bike lane.

Thanks for that tidbit- I'd always read it that if a bike lane is present, and noted in signs, that you're required to use it unless you're doing something like using a left turn lane or avoiding a right-turn-only lane. There are many times that I do in fact use the traffic lanes; couple of places here there's no alternative.

Most of the time it's no big deal.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Some of the worst street traffic is in front of schools where students are dropped off and picked up in family cars, when many of these families live close enough to walk!

As the driver in the video noted, slowing of traffic can be a good thing, making it safer for everyone. Three minute delay? Horrible!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

They recently put in bike lanes in Silver Lake on Rowena, I went to check them out, they only go from one traffic light at Hyperion to the one at Glendale. For me it was kind of a waste, if you don't extend them at least to Silver Lake Blvd. where you can get to the ones that go around the reservoir.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Sometimes urban planners do the stupidest things with bike paths/routes. Yesterday I checked out a half-mile class one bike path from nowhere to nowhere. One end stopped about 20 feet short of a parking lot, requiring riding/walking through dirt and over a curb. The entire path was fenced off from adjacent businesses, and there was no access for its entire length.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Today we biked from Los Feliz, past Silver Lake Reservoir, Elysian Park, Echo Park (lake still closed) and back through Sunset Junction. Hilly, we consulted the map. But fun, and it was a beautiful day to be out on a bike.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Last February, I got a Garmin Edge 200 cycling GPS, and I'm uploading my rides to ridewithgps.com. Just about every Tuesday I ride with some other retired guys along this route: Wallace to Common Grounds - Calaveras, CA

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

On the face of things, it’s hard to understand why would anyone oppose bicycling. It’s cheap, it’s healthy, it’s good for the environment.

Somehow, though, cycling has become politicized, and it’s the party of personal responsibility, austerity, and small government that tends to carry the anti-bicycling banner.
    Seven Conservative Reasons to Love Bicycling | Streetsblog.net

That’s odd, writes Bill Lindeke at Network blog Twin City Sidewalks, because bicycling aligns so well with core conservative principles. Lindeke, in his latest blog post, lists seven reasons to love cycling from a conservative standpoint. We’ll share just a few:

Bicycle infrastructure is a great way for the government to save money. Conservatives are always talking about “wasteful government spending,” but for some reason don’t view freeway and road infrastructure as part of the problem. A single stoplight costs more than $3,000 per year to maintain and operate. (And huge projects like the unnecessary $600M+ bridge to rural Wisconsin being built right now in Michele Bachmann’s district should make fiscal conservatives cringe.) Bike lanes and trails are extremely cheap and last a long time, one of the best values for government spending you’ll find.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast