Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Bike Paths in Southern California

Any bike enthusiasts on MiceChat?

Here is a map of LA and Orange County's bike path system.
    Bike Paths - L.A. Bike Paths

As part of the Universal Evolution plan, the studio will donate land along the Los Angeles river as well as "$13.5-million toward a 6.4-mile stretch of bike path between Whitsett Avenue in Studio City to Griffith Park at Riverside Drive."

NBCUniversal Puts $13.5 Million Toward L.A. River Bikeway | River Notes | Confluence | KCET

Re: Bike Paths in Southern California

I haven't taken my bike to OC yet, but I definitely like the addition of more bike paths! I've done some big-group bike rides in LA but haven't dared go by myself yet. When I go downtown I use the subways or I walk.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well the current trend is to develop bike lanes and it's encouraging not only people to get out of their cars, but also it gets them into stores.

Bike lanes led to 49% increase in retail sales - Boing Boing

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yeah, well, it's a lot easier to stop and shop when you don't have to worry so much about parking.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Is Anaheim bike-friendly? Does the Disneyland Resort provide any bike lockers or even bike stands? If you took Metrolink down to Fullerton or Anaheim, is it easy enough to get to the parks on your bike? I've never tried it.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Did someone say bike enthusiast? I have on occasion taken a bike with me on trips to Disneyland. There are really no bike routes in the resort area, and Disneyland doesn't allow one to ride into or through Downtown Disney or the Esplanade. I have seen bike racks on the fringes (near the east shuttle area and west end of Downtown Disney near ESPN zone). A few miles east of Disneyland is the Santa Ana River Trail that currently runs from the coast at Huntington Beach to just beyond Yorba Linda. To get there from Disneyland, you have to ride along Katella or Ball Road, neither of which is particularly attractive or bicycle friendly. And that's pretty typical of most of the major streets in the area.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5595 miles, 311,000 feet

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Orange County Transportation Authority Bike Map

If you zoom in on the map, you will see most of the OC Bikeways are well away from Anaheim. By contrast, look at Irvine.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    Orange County Transportation Authority Bike Map

If you zoom in on the map, you will see most of the OC Bikeways are well away from Anaheim. By contrast, look at Irvine.
    Trekkie Dad, it's been ages! Glad to see you.

So how about biking from the Metrolink to the resort?

Or what other ways can we ride Metrolink down from LA and bike to say, Laguna or Newport Beach?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Major traffic tickets for cyclists are coming soon to an American city near you.

This is in part the result of pressure from automobile advocates, who seethe at new bike lanes on crowded streets and shake their fists at scofflaw cyclists, asking when they will be held to the same—or indeed, any—standard of behavior.

But this is part of the endgame for many cycling advocates as well, who concede that equality in infrastructure provision should be met by a commitment to obey traffic laws.
    Why We Should Never Fine Cyclists - Henry Grabar - The Atlantic Cities

As a bicycle commuter—and past recipient of one $124 ticket for biking through an empty intersection at a red light, in New Haven, Connecticut—I've been dreading this moment for a long time.

I don't glide through stoplights to declare my independence from society; it's simply a central pleasure of riding a bike. It can be hard work going long distances under my own power, and these small conveniences make a big difference. I'm no proponent of riding on sidewalks or "salmoning" up a one-way street, but I've done both from time to time to avoid long detours or dangerous streets. We bike riders lose ground to cars on straightaways and hills, but we make it up at red lights and in traffic, nosing through lines of stalled cars.

Like pedestrians, we find ways to exploit the holes in a traffic system that is, even in the best-provisioned U.S. cities, designed at a foundational level for the convenience of automobiles. That's the game, and has been for a while.

I've gone through red lights, but usually that's because some intersections don't detect bikes and will never change. One near my house, actually, won't change for me.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Part of my commute takes me past deserted residential intersections with a stop sign at each street; I look both ways multiple times, and I slow down enough that I could stop. But if there's no one coming, I'll cruise past.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Trekkie Dad, it's been ages! Glad to see you.

So how about biking from the Metrolink to the resort?

Or what other ways can we ride Metrolink down from LA and bike to say, Laguna or Newport Beach?
    Aside from riding in the area as a tourist, I know little about it. You might check with some of the local cycling clubs. Orange County Wheelmen and Bike Club Irvine are two that I know of. The Big Brother Cycling Network maintains a list of clubs, and many clubs provide links to other nearby clubs.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Regarding rolling through red lights and stop signs: Idaho allows cyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs and red lights as stop signs. In other jurisdictions, enforcement varies. I received a ticket for rolling through a stop sign in tony Woodside (San Mateo County) at a T intersection with no road or entrance on my right. In Calaveras County, a rural county where I frequently ride, the sheriff considers that type of enforcement "chicken-s---."

Up in Sacramento, the county is considering removing stop signs from the American River trail where it crosses low volume access roads, since the trail has a much higher volume of traffic than the roads it crosses.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast