Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

And Penn State cracks the Top Ten for the first time this week. Big Ten opener at Michigan this Saturday at 3:30 PM ET on ESPN on ABC.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    FRAUD FIVE
    • Notre Dame: You earned this for the third week in a row. That crying you hear is at 30 Rock.
    • Auburn: You earned this for the second week in a row. That crying you hear is from Tiger alumni remembering the good old days of Pat Dye.
    • Tennessee: It's not okay to lose to in-division rival Florida...by 39...in Gainesville...and ranked.
    • Minnesota: Florida Atlantic? In Boca Raton? Write your own joke here.
    • UCLA: Ranked...and lose to Utah in Salt Lake City. So much for last December against Southern California.
    Dishonorable Mention
    • Arkansas: You're ranked...and surrender 21 in the first quarter to unranked Alabama in Tuscaloosa?
    • New York Mets: Breaking news: Mr. Sterling no longer owns the Mets. The Phillies do. Seems the riot act in Atlanta woke that team up.
    You're over-emphasizing the ranked factor. Rankings are nice when your team is trying to get to the National Championship Game, but they don't mean jack otherwise. They're flawed (the Rankings system), and they always will be - I could've told you UCLA did not deserve to be ranked.
    Last edited by BiggameJ; 09-17-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykat View Post
    Uhhh, UCLA lost to...Utah.....

Duke FINALLY broke their 22 game losing streak. I think they may even have a shot at beating Notre Dame (oy...Notre Dame. Someone get them a new coach pleaSE?)
    There's not much Notre Dame can do. They've got a crap running back who doesn't hit the holes, and several inexperienced QBs. Jimmy Clausen is great and all, I saw him play at Oaks Christian HS last year, but he's a true freshman - he's just not ready to be leading the offense.

I'm still excited about Pac-10 football, even though my UCLA Bruins lost. Washington is a fun team to watch! It's only making me lean more towards choosing UW as my college. Jake Locker is going to develop into a much better QB than Vince Young - some people already say he's faster than VY, much more explosive.
    Last edited by BiggameJ; 09-16-2007 at 10:57 PM.

• Banned User

"FRAUD FIVE"
    • "Notre Dame: You earned this for the third week in a row. That crying you hear is at 30 Rock.
    • "Auburn: You earned this for the second week in a row. That crying you hear is from Tiger alumni remembering the good old days of Pat Dye.
    • "Tennessee: It's not okay to lose to in-division rival Florida...by 39...in Gainesville...and ranked.
    • "Minnesota: Florida Atlantic? In Boca Raton? Write your own joke here.
    • "UCLA: Ranked...and lose to Utah in Salt Lake City. So much for last December against Southern California."

"Dishonorable Mention"
    • "Arkansas: You're ranked...and surrender 21 in the first quarter to unranked Alabama in Tuscaloosa?
    • "New York Mets: Breaking news: Mr. Sterling no longer owns the Mets. The Phillies do. Seems the riot act in Atlanta woke that team up."

Quote Originally Posted by BiggameJ View Post
    "You're over-emphasizing the ranked factor. Rankings are nice when your team is trying to get to the National Championship Game, but they don't mean jack otherwise. They're flawed, and they always will be - I could've told you UCLA did not deserve to be ranked."
    Utah 45, (11) UCLA 3.

Attacking the post, not the poster. And that "Glub, glub, glub" I hear is the good ship USS Karl Dorrell sinking on their national championship chances.

Utah 45, (11) UCLA 3.

Attacking the post, not the poster. And that "Glub, glub, glub" I hear is the good ship USS Karl Dorrell sinking on their national championship chances.
    What part of my post are you attacking exactly? I don't get it.

Nice guess on the score by the way. It was actually Utah 44 - UCLA 6.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Lincoln, Nebraska is a great place to watch a college football game that is being dominated by your visiting team. The place was so loud I was afraid my ears were going to bleed, but when the score got to 42-10, you could hear individual Trojan fans yelling from five sections over. Great stadium. Even better fans. If UNL's line play was 10% as impressive as their fans, it would have been a decent game.

Fight On! USC should be heavy favorites in their next 5 games.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Banned User

If UNL kept the Power-I option offense they're run for centuries, the game would have been decent. The West Coast offense is NOT a college offense.

The other problem Nebraska has with the West coast offense is they lack the personal to run it. You need several good wide receviers who are very quick and can make people miss. Is there any doubt the reason why it worked with the Raiders for a year is because of Jerry Rice and Tim Brown both good and young with Jerry Porter in the slot? Wow that is a pretty nice trio if you ask me. Bill Callahan was a poor choice for Nebraska because his offense is a poor offense for the Big XII.

• Banned User

That's true, Grumpy38. I have always said that the West Coast offense in Nebraska is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for that honor but would rather have his dignity instead.

This move firing Frank Solitch four years ago was Huskers AD all Steve Peterson's fault, and he was looking for an excuse to shake the state up. Everywhere in Nebraska, the power running football offense has been handed down from Devaney, Osborne and Soltich. And Petersen breaks that up for the love of the almighty win-now-at-any-cost-with-a-new-coach. Hell, if I took over as Nebraska's AD, I'd fire Callahan in a New York Minute and bring Solich back in a heartbeat. Or maybe bring in Turner Gill from the University of Buffalo and my mandate would be to bring back the Power-I offense that made the Huskers roll.

If the AD at Nebraska really wanted to make a splash he would have done it last year and gone after Nick Saban who has already institued a Nebraska esque scheme at Alabama who is now 3-0 by the way. With a showdown against Georgia and young Matthew Stafford who looked confused against South Carolina's Defense which coach Spurrier is not known for. Nebraska also must realize you normally recruit from your own backyard so keep recruiting the corn feed big O line man and shove them down the defensive fronts throats. Or wallow in mediocrity and 8 -9 win seasons being a good year for the Huskers.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I hear is the good ship USS Karl Dorrell sinking on their national championship chances.
    "Bear" in mind that I am a Bruin fan. But I don't know of anyone in their right mind that thought this team had any business being connected with the phrase "national championship". As long as Dorrell is the coach, they'll still be the "gutty little Bruins" and we'll just have to happy with the memories of the Paul Hackett era.

If UNL kept the Power-I option offense they're run for centuries, the game would have been decent. The West Coast offense is NOT a college offense.
    As Simon and Garfunkel might, but probably never will, say...

So here's to you, Mr. Osborne, the Husker Nation turns its eyes to you, woo woo woo ....
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   

Here are some of the pictures I took at the Nebraska game:

The Trojan band makes its way from the Cornhusker Marriott to Memorial Stadium.

Everyone with a free left hand got a high five. Is nice!

I'm pretty sure this was the craziest Husker in the house.

This lady might have been the craziest Trojan. Straight outta 90210.

The sculpture in front of Gate 20.

"Through These Gates Pass The Greatest Fans In College Football." I'm quite sure that the weirdo who grabbed my butt outside the concessions stand went in through another gate.

The view from my seats in section 36A

Opening kickoff. We had no idea what a mistake this was.

USC gets ready to blow its first punt return.

Our first play from scrimmage. Suddenly, the place went from loud to Oh My God My Ears Are Bleeding!

First down, up the middle, and its 45 yards to the fullback. That should quiet them, right? (The blur on the lower right is the Husker hat on the dude in front of me.)

Nope. Not even this, our first touchdown, quieted them.

When the Huskers score their first touchdown, thousands of fans release red balloons that they had stashed under their seats or something.

Can you believe the size of this hole Stafon Johnson ran through for USC's third touchdown?

By the time USC made in 48/49 to 17, the crowd was thinning and quieting.

Departing of the Red Sea.

The Lincoln stands are uncharacteristically empty as the fourth quarter winds down.

Bomp, bomp! Beat! The Cougars!

After the game, we got invited onto the field to take some pictures around the end zone and here, where the Cornhuskers emerge from their tunnel walk before the game. Even though my team had just whooped their team, everyone was still shaking hands, thanking us for coming to Lincoln, and making our experience an unforgettable one. This photo was taken by a Cornhusker, and I didn't even have to ask.
    It was a great day to be a Trojan. I hope every Saturday from here on out this season will be a great day to be a Cornhusker.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    But they do not like to be called "Southern Cal". It was even in last year's media guide that they were not to be referred to that way. When I did weekend sports at a major LA station, I had a big boss who is as dedicated a USC alum that there is. On one broadcast, I read some copy straight off the AP wire that said "Southern Cal" beat so and so...Let's just say there was a call at my desk right afterward, and he wasn't calling to say "nice report".
    A know of lot of alumni who don't mind it, but the athletic department sure hate it.

• Banned User

And Barry, it's Representative Osborne, now.

He's a congressman.

•   

I know it's only halftime, but with Louisville trailing Syracuse (!) at the half, 21-7, it might be time to start thinking the Cardinals are no good. Suddenly, that Kentucky victory doesn't look so hot, either. I want to change my pick of Kentucky plus the points against Arkansas.

Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast