Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10253233343536 LastLast
Results 511 to 525 of 530
  1. #511

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    But I still say the confusion of this year over "Who REALLY is the best team" only solidifies the fact that college football needs a playoff system. They are the ONLY sport that doesn't have some sort of playoff.


  2. #512

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    743

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    I agree with you, I'd like to see at least an 8 team playoff, preferably a 16 team playoff, so you can include most teams that could make a claim they should be there.

    But the NCAA is still too busy trying to convince us that they're protecting their players and it's not all about money.

  3. #513

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sun City, AZ
    Posts
    235

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    Unfortunately you have at least 6 more years of the BCS as is due to contractual obligations. Each of the 4 majors was promised 2 national titles during the most recent contract signing. The other area that could be interesting is the Rose Bowl has so many other areas away from the BCS do not be suprised if say the Cotton Bowl replaces it. Leaving the Rose on its own away from the BCS in the future.

  4. #514

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    Anybody but me not the least bit interested in watching the game tonight?

    I could really care less.


  5. #515

    • Bring Me Two Piña Coladas
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Aples Center
    Posts
    3,022

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    My last game of the season was Tulsa pounding Bowling Green in the GMAC Bowl. Now that was a game to cap off the season 63-7.

    Tonights game doesn't matter, in fact it should have an asterisks next to it.
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."


  6. #516

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    743

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy38 View Post
    Unfortunately you have at least 6 more years of the BCS as is due to contractual obligations. Each of the 4 majors was promised 2 national titles during the most recent contract signing. The other area that could be interesting is the Rose Bowl has so many other areas away from the BCS do not be suprised if say the Cotton Bowl replaces it. Leaving the Rose on its own away from the BCS in the future.
    That's the thing. They're contractually obligated right now with those games, so there's really no reason to overreact and elect to do a playoff now. This year was a crazy year in college football. Who knows, we could have three years where there are two clear cut favorites. And if this crazy trend continues, as the BCS contracts expire, THEN set up the playoff system.

  7. #517

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,289
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    So it's that time of year again, sports fans, for the annual "Pete Carroll is talking to (name the NFL team desperate for a coach)".

    Word is he'll be talking today with Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, and he will be in essence offered both the coach and GM roles, "total control" over personnel matters. And presumably the employee discount at Home Depot.

    If he takes that job, or any other, believe me as a Bruins fan - Rick Neuheisel will drive him to the airport, and Bruin boosters will pay for his first class flight.

    In our dreams.

    Carroll, one the best college coaches ever, is going to leave what amounts to LA's NFL team, with a bunch of first round draft pick players every year, a good shot at a national title every year, and it's Los Angeles don't forget...to take over ... the Falcons.

    Right.

    Only in a Bruin fan's dreams...

    --Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  8. #518

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    Not gonna happen. Carroll isn't an idiot.

    Final rankings are out, or have been out. Nobody posted them though.

    AP Top 10

    1. LSU (60) 12-2 1,620
    2. Georgia (3) 11-2 1,515
    3. USC (1) 11-2 1,500
    4. Missouri 12-2 1,347
    5. Ohio State 11-2 1,346
    6. West Virginia 11-2 1,342
    7. Kansas (1) 12-1 1,303
    8. Oklahoma 11-3 1,139
    9. Virginia Tech 11-3 1,096
    10. Texas 10-3 962

    I'm okay with the top 4 in the AP. But how do you put Ohio State over West Virginia and Kansas who had HUGE Bowl game wins?

    USA Today

    1. LSU (60) 12-2 1,500
    2. USC 11-2 1,380
    3. Georgia 11-2 1,370
    4. Ohio State 11-2 1,287
    5. Missouri 12-2 1,241
    6. West Virginia 11-2 1,239
    7. Kansas 12-1 1,217
    8. Oklahoma 11-3 1,016
    9. Virginia Tech 11-3 979
    10. Texas 10-3 924

    Just like the AP, how do you put Ohio State over West Virginia and Kansas. And NOW Mizzou as well? What a joke.

    Still waiting for the final BS ... er ... BCS rankings.


  9. #519

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    743

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    The writer's poll is usually a joke. The only reason I can see is based on them playing in the BCS game and getting beat by the #1 team. But I agree with you. West Virginia beat the #4 team in the Fiesta Bowl, had a tougher schedule, while Ohio State got pasted in the BCS game. Also, Kansas only lost one game period and beat the #3 team, they should be ranked ahead of USC and Georgia as well. Missouri only lost to one team and that team finished Top 10.

  10. #520

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    A state of happy whimsy.
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Carroll, one the best college coaches ever
    Now that's just a bit of a stretch. His teams pretty much only succeed due to bad luck on the part of better teams. He has the advantage of coaching at a school that is super rich and attracts good players because it's in a location where everyone wants to attend college just because, so throwing some money at them just seals the deal. He also makes just as many bonehead calls as any other coach. He isn't a bad coach, of course, but he's hardly the Messiah that he's made out to be. And that's ignoring the fact the he's one of football's biggest jack@$$es. Top ten coaches currently maybe, but ever? Not by a longshot.

  11. #521

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Now that's just a bit of a stretch. His teams pretty much only succeed due to bad luck on the part of better teams. He has the advantage of coaching at a school that is super rich and attracts good players because it's in a location where everyone wants to attend college just because, so throwing some money at them just seals the deal. He also makes just as many bonehead calls as any other coach. He isn't a bad coach, of course, but he's hardly the Messiah that he's made out to be. And that's ignoring the fact the he's one of football's biggest jack@$$es. Top ten coaches currently maybe, but ever? Not by a longshot.
    For the record, RadioBarry is NOT a USC fan.

    But to say Carroll isn't one of the more successful coaches in NCAA Football history is a joke.

    If what you say was true (bad luck, super rich school, attracts good players because of location, etc) then USC would have been just as good in the years prior to Carroll's arrival.

    But that wasn't the case. From 1991 to 2001, USC was NOT an elite school.

    1991: 3-8
    1992: 6-5-1
    1993: 8-5
    1994: 8-3-1
    1995: 9-2-1 (Rose Bowl)
    1996: 6-6
    1997: 6-5
    1998: 8-5
    1999: 6-5
    2000: 5-7
    2001: 6-6

    So I think it's innacurate to say Carroll hasn't made a difference.


  12. #522

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    A state of happy whimsy.
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    I didn't say he hadn't made a difference. In fact, I said that I would agree that he would be in the top ten current coaches. But best coaches ever is simply not something I would never agree with.

    (And yes, I do know that Barry isn't a Trojan fanboy. )

  13. #523

    • Bring Me Two Piña Coladas
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Aples Center
    Posts
    3,022

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Not gonna happen. Carroll isn't an idiot.

    Final rankings are out, or have been out. Nobody posted them though.

    AP Top 10

    1. LSU (60) 12-2 1,620
    2. Georgia (3) 11-2 1,515
    3. USC (1) 11-2 1,500
    4. Missouri 12-2 1,347
    5. Ohio State 11-2 1,346
    6. West Virginia 11-2 1,342
    7. Kansas (1) 12-1 1,303
    8. Oklahoma 11-3 1,139
    9. Virginia Tech 11-3 1,096
    10. Texas 10-3 962

    I'm okay with the top 4 in the AP. But how do you put Ohio State over West Virginia and Kansas who had HUGE Bowl game wins?

    USA Today

    1. LSU (60) 12-2 1,500
    2. USC 11-2 1,380
    3. Georgia 11-2 1,370
    4. Ohio State 11-2 1,287
    5. Missouri 12-2 1,241
    6. West Virginia 11-2 1,239
    7. Kansas 12-1 1,217
    8. Oklahoma 11-3 1,016
    9. Virginia Tech 11-3 979
    10. Texas 10-3 924

    Just like the AP, how do you put Ohio State over West Virginia and Kansas. And NOW Mizzou as well? What a joke.

    Still waiting for the final BS ... er ... BCS rankings.

    I agree, these are totally bogus...esp when Missouri even got robbed of a bowl game. I don't know about putting Georgia over USC either, but those 2 losses did USC in for that one I guess...This year was totally wacked out for rankings...
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."


  14. #524

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    A state of happy whimsy.
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    All I can say is:

    #23 Baby!!!

    Eat that Beavs! Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!!!


  15. #525

    •   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not quite here.
    Posts
    21,282

    Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Top ten coaches currently maybe, but ever?
    Maybe? Who are the ten active coaches you could put ahead of him? I can guarantee you this: all ten would have one thing in common. They all have poorer win-loss records than he does. They all have less bowl success than he has had in the last seven years.

    Though I could, I won't expand upon points already made about how USC had fallen into mediocrity for more than a decade before Carroll turned them, in less than two years, into the most dominant program in college football.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

    Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

Similar Threads

  1. Semi-Official 2007 NFL Season Thread Part I
    By mouseinphilly in forum Sports Zone
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 11:01 AM
  2. Going To The Hoop - The Official NBA Thread 2006-2007 (merged)
    By Radiobarry in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 11:11 PM
  3. Going To The Hoop - The Official NBA Thread 2006-2007 (merged)
    By tiggerfan in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 08:32 AM
  4. The Official 2006 College Football thread
    By BDBopper in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 398
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 01:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •