Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 112633343536

• Banned User

Re: The Official 2007 College Football Thread

Hey, like I said, I don't think he's a poor coach at all. He did wash out of the NFL pretty badly, but when he got to USC he found success. It's pretty clear to me that at USC he was fortunate enough to have circumstances favor him and he was able to build a good program. Would he have been as successful elsewhere? Maybe, maybe not. If we're playing the "What If" game I'd say not, but that's a question open to huge debate. Anyhow, my only disagreement was with the "greatest ever" comment. A good coach does not a "greatest ever" coach make.

Now, about this "most dominant program in college football" idea. Care to expound on that grand claim?

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Now, about this "most dominant program in college football" idea. Care to expound on that grand claim?
    Sure. He's the winningest active coach. He's working on six straight 11+ win seasons, which had happened precisely zero times in the history of college football. He's notched six BCS bowl bids in six years, and won five of them. Final poll spots since 2002:

Top 4: 6/6 seasons
    Top 2: 4/6 seasons
    Top 1: 2/6 seasons
    Heisman Trophy winners: 3/6 seasons

Overall record: 70-8 (.897)

Average won/lost record over those six seasons: 11.7 wins, 1.3 losses, which rounds to an average record of 12-1, sustained over six seasons.

Times blown out: 0

Average margin of defeat in those eight games: 3.75 points.

More weeks in top ten, top five and number one over that span than any other school.

What are the qualifications for whatever school you would nominate as "most dominant" over the same period?
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Banned User

I'll have to pull that together and get back to you.

And no, I wouldn't even jokingly say my Ducks. I love them and this should have been their year, but I can admit that you have to do better than losing your last four games every year to be considered "dominant."

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Should we turn the discussion toward recruiting? Signing day is less than 3 weeks away.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Banned User

Well, since I was on double secret probation for a while, I'd like to deliver my final Fraud Five of the past season.
    • Notre Dame - Yeah, we're looking at you. Charlie Weis' play calling was for the lack of a better word against Southern California and Navy "anal retentive", ultra conserative and dumb, they lost to Navy for the first time since the Kennedy Administartion, and stumbled to the worst start since Joe Kuharich. Fire this guy now and bring someone else in to restore the tradition.
    • Missouri - You lost to Oklahoma twice - TWICE! - in the same year, beat Kansas in the epic showdown in KC, but were snubbed by the BCS. Okay, I know I'm going to be harsh on the Mizzou Crew, but you deserved to be in a BCS game, not Kansas.
    • Mid-American Conference in Bowl Games - Oh-fer-three. 'Nuff said.
    • Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl - Let me see here. Rich Rodriguez bolts West Virginia, his alma mater for Meechigan, and then they lay the lumber on you at the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. Oh, we forgot, you lost to Boise State in that same game last year.
    • The BCS - Never has BCS game been the Sominex to sleepless sports fans. The Trojans rout an undeserving Illinois team in the Rose Bowl, Hawai'i is routed by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, then June Jones hits the mainland for SMU, the aforementioned Siesta Bore, and then The Ohio State University loses another National Championship game to an SEC team...in their backyard. I won't mention the Orange Bowl.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 112633343536