Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Need Help In Playing Fantasy Football (watch out for my shoulder pads)...

With the upcoming NFL season, I would like to play fantasy football for the the first time. But even though I've been a fan for 40 years I've never been part of it before.

So...questions to the guys and gals that do.

Where's the best place to go to get the basics explained?

Do you play in leagues with neighbors of co-workers? Do you play in the ESPN and NFL.com free leagues?

How many different leagues are you in?

How much time and effort is involved?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. That's enough for now. Sure do appreciate your patience with me and understanding.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Need Help In Playing Fantasy Football (watch out for my shoulder pads)...

Bump C'mon folks...I'm sure we have fantasy footballers out here...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Bump C'mon folks...I'm sure we have fantasy footballers out here...

--Barry

Sorry Barry,

I played Fantasy football about 15 years ago, got bitter, and quit it. We had the best team in the league, lost the first playoff game and season over. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry I couldn't help much.

Chad

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Sorry Barry,

I played Fantasy football about 15 years ago, got bitter, and quit it. We had the best team in the league, lost the first playoff game and season over. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry I couldn't help much.

Chad
    Thanks anyway, Chad. How about anyone else?

I did the paid version on ESPN for a few years, but it became work to remember to check it weekly. I try now to either do the NFL or ESPN version for free, that way if I forgot, it is no great loss.

I played in the MC one last year on Yahoo. I would be willing to start one this year on Yahoo and invite other amatuers such as ourselves.

• Minion

Wow where are all of the fantasy football fans? I'm in my 6th year and i'm a fantasy football addict.

With the upcoming NFL season, I would like to play fantasy football for the the first time. But even though I've been a fan for 40 years I've never been part of it before.

So...questions to the guys and gals that do.

Where's the best place to go to get the basics explained?

Go to the bookstore, buy a magazine. There's at least 10 different guides and cheat sheets which all usually have sections on draft strategies (I know ESPN does ). Before you start it's important to know the draft type (snake?, keepers, auction) and the scoring system. Makes a big difference. Know your stats.

If you are looking for free reading material almost all the major sports websites have fantasy sections. However, a lot of them are charging for the fantasy content these days.

Do you play in leagues with neighbors of co-workers? Do you play in the ESPN and NFL.com free leagues?

I play with my coworkers, we are an intense group. We use the yahoo free league (private group) and we do a manual draft (sooo much fun!).

How many different leagues are you in?

Probably only one this year. But in the past 2-3.

How much time and effort is involved?

Depends on how involved you want to be. For me the draft takes a couple weeks of prep and a few sleepless nights working on my cheat sheet. During the season I read the fantasy articles every day for a couple of hours and sundays.....almost all day... sitting in front of the computer watching the stat tracker and watching the games at the same time. I get up extra early on Sundays to check the injury reports and watch the pregame shows to make last minute changes. If for any reason I need to leave the house on a sunday, my pda goes with me to check the stats.

I'm sure I'll have more questions. That's enough for now. Sure do appreciate your patience with me and understanding.

--Barry

Good luck Barry and have fun. It changes the way you watch the game. Instead of rooting for teams, its all about the individual players.

Now I have to be getting back to my war room, I have a draft on Thursday and I've cleared display space on my desk for the league trophy already:

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mousercise View Post
    Wow where are all of the fantasy football fans? I'm in my 6th year and i'm a fantasy football addict.

Good luck Barry and have fun. It changes the way you watch the game. Instead of rooting for teams, its all about the individual players.

Now I have to be getting back to my war room, I have a draft on Thursday and I've cleared display space on my desk for the league trophy already:

Thanks mouse and Mr. Lightyear for the tips. I'm also surprised we don't seem to have more fantasy players here. Any other tips would be appreciated!

--Barry

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Thanks mouse and Mr. Lightyear for the tips. I'm also surprised we don't seem to have more fantasy players here. Any other tips would be appreciated!

--Barry
    OK Barry,

I'll give it a go based on my knowledge a decade ago. One thing that is very important about fantasy games is knowing the rules. While Peyton Manning may be considered an MVP, most league value running backs and wide receivers a lot more than QBs.

This is why you MUST know the rules before even thinking about the draft. Kickers and Defenses are a dime a dozen, don't waste high picks on them. Also keep a close eye on the waiver wire. Unlike baseball, NFL players get hurt a lot! Know the backups and who will benefit from a season ending injury.

Well, that about it for now. Maybe after a cup of coffee I'll remember more about the good old FF days.

Cheers!
    Chad

• Mexihick, y'all

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
    other amatuers such as ourselves.

*giggle*

• For You!

Sorry Barry, I just noticed this! I've played for the last 7 or 8 years. We use Yahoo Fantasy Leagues. We did a private league, but there are public leagues you can join. We just had our draft on Sunday night - we have about 8 of my brother's friends and we do our own settings (how much everything is worth, etc.).

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

I just started a league over at ESPN.com. I like it so much better than Yahoo. If anybody is interested in joining (New player friendly) please PM me with your email address so I can send an Invite. I have 13 slots left.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Minion

Here are some funny FF tips someone emailed me the other day:

1. Never name your team after your girlfriend or cat.
    2. Listen to the experts.
    3. Don't listen to the experts.
    4. Don't draft your fantasy football team using the fantasy football insert from the TV Guide.
    6. It's your duty to talk trash. Period.
    8. Avoid 'friendly' advice.
    9. Don't draft a player that's already been drafted or is in jail.
    11. It's never over until it's Tuesday.
    15. Drafting first is overrated.
    17. Know how to pronounce your draft pick.
    18. Keeping a kicker in a keeper league is open to ridicule.
    23. Recreating your college team's bowl lineup from five years ago doesn't work.

How's the FF going for everyone? What do your rosters look like? I'm hoping to trade for Travis Henry, but other than that, my roster is set.

Hmm, well my roster looks like this (on ESPN):

QB- Drew Brees
    RB- Reggie Bush
    RB- Brian Westbrook
    RB/WR- LaMont Jordan
    WR- Javon Walker
    WR- Laveranues Coles
    TE- Todd Heap
    D- Ravens
    K- Jeff Wilkins

BE- Marc Bulger
    BE- Jay Cutler
    BE- Broncos
    BE- Devery Henderson
    BE- Brandon Jackson
    BE- Tony Scheffler
    BE- D.J. Hackett

I think I've got a pretty solid team, but Brees and Bush didn't do jack for me tonight.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BiggameJ View Post
    Hmm, well my roster looks like this (on ESPN):

QB- Drew Brees
    RB- Reggie Bush
    RB- Brian Westbrook
    RB/WR- LaMont Jordan
    WR- Javon Walker
    WR- Laveranues Coles
    TE- Todd Heap
    D- Ravens
    K- Jeff Wilkins

BE- Marc Bulger
    BE- Jay Cutler
    BE- Broncos
    BE- Devery Henderson
    BE- Brandon Jackson
    BE- Tony Scheffler
    BE- D.J. Hackett

I think I've got a pretty solid team, but Brees and Bush didn't do jack for me tonight.
    Nice team, but Brees over Bulger this week....ouch.

Here's my starting line up (12 team league):

QB- Matt Hasselbeck
    RB- Frank Gore
    RB- Brian Westbrook
    WR- Lee Evans
    WR- Laveranues Coles
    WR- Devery Henderson
    TE- Antonio Gates
    K- Josh Brown
    D- Miami

And of course I had to be playing the guy with Reggie Wayne this week. Yeah that didn't go to well for me tonight....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast