•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2 View Post
    Morning

Sorry Barry I mean afterall, the Dodgers were from Brooklyn

Happy Halloween to all
    I remember the Dodgers when they were in Brooklyn. I think we had a book at one time around the house. One of those kids sticker books. It had all the players in it and you stuck the stickers in the right places. I always remember the name Pee Wee Reese. Then of course there was Jackie Robinson. My brother was a huge sports fan, and of course the sticker book was his. Us girls, had those cut out books where you cut out the clothes, and put them on the paper dolls. I grew up in the 50's.

Not much in my sports section this morning, except basketball news. Our team lost, and the radio and television is all chit chat about Kobe Bryant. One season ends, and another begins.

Good morning sports fans, and non sports fans alike.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I liked it better when the paper came before 6 a.m. My most recent delivery person gets here very late. Now I tend to read my sports section with my lunch instead of my breakfast. I am sitting here waiting for the furnace man to arrive. He is supposed to clean my tenant's furnace.

My tenant was looking for newspaper. Not to read, but to put under the litter boxes of her 2 new cats. It seems that they are quite messy. She was kind enough to check on my morning paper, before she was off with some old pages for the messy cats.

I guess the media likes to make news where there isn't any. Kobe Bryant will not be wearing a Bulls uniform any time soon, so let the present Bulls play their game, please. I can't get into watching the Bears play, because they are just so bad.

I see that it didn't take Joe Torre very long to find a new team to manage. I just find it strange the way the other guy was actually still the manager, and actually left to make the job open for Torre. Very strange, at least to me.

I gotta run, the furnace man just called, and is on the way.

Have a great day sports fans, and non sports fans alike.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

While the Angels and Dodgers don't have the perhaps more intense rivalries of two cities, or at least regions, with two teams...there is always an intense battle for market share, management-wise, at the mangement level.

That's one of the reasons Arte Moreno changed the Angels city name (regrettably). That's why he had "City of Angels" posters up all over Los Angeles proper, including one at the corner of Sunset and Elysian Park, blocks away from Dodger Stadium's main entrance.

So the thought here among many...is that after the Dodgers signed Torre to wake up their fanbase...the Angels need to do something big...like signing A-Rod to whatever amount Scott Boras asks for.

Maybe if we all chipped in we could offer A-Rod a Premium Annual Pass for the DLR. That could be the deal-maker. After all, 30 mill a year goes only so far.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I actually never got around to reading the sports section today. I got sidetracked this morning when I decided to scan some photos. Those photos were of very poor quality. They were taken in 1990 and they were of my trip to the Field of Dreams in Dyersville. Iowa. I have edited them, somewhat, but they are blurry. I only wish that digital photography had been around then.

I then spent the greater part of my morning visiting my mom, who is an Alzheimer's patient in a nearby Nursing Home. My mom never liked sports. She didn't know a touchdown from a homerun. In fact she never wanted to let my brother play football, because she figured he'd get hurt. I always thought sports would keep my brother in school, but he dropped out in his 2nd year of high school, and drove a bread truck for a living.

So, I am off to finally read my sports page, and of course, the rest of the paper. I do eventually get around to that.

Have a great day sports fans - and everyone else as well.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Chicago Bulls finally won a basketball game. Granted, they are only 5 games into the season, but losing can become a very bad habit.

Speaking of losing. I sure hope that the Bears can come up on the winning end when they play the Oakland Raiders on Sunday. I like when the game is on later in the afternoon.

I remember the years when I was in a family run football pool. I would watch all the games. Not necessarily for the football, but for the scores. We had a special pool for any team that scored 50 points on any given Sunday, and then another for high points by a team that week. Each week you got a designated team. It was fun at first, and then it got too stressful. I never won much money. I guess I wasn't cut out for that kind of sports viewing.

My grandson's bowling team has been having a lot of trouble winning games. The way the handicaps are set up, they get no help. Most of the bowlers on his team have too high averages, and very little handicap, and so when the other teams do well it just kills them. They have lost so many more than they should have. I think we should have moved the kids up to the next league, where they would have been more competetive

Have a great day Sports fans, and all other MiceChatters too.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My grandson bowls on Saturdays and today he did pretty well. He made his average all 3 games and took 9 dollars from his granny. You see, I give Sean a dollar for everytime he gets 3 marks in a row. If he gets 4 marks in a row that would be another dollar. As long as he keeps marking the dollars add up. If he misses then he has to get three in a row again. Also if he makes his average that is a dollar. I also give him a dollar for certain splits.

This is the way that Sean earns extra spending money for our Disney trips. I don't know when we are going again, but since we were there last in April, Sean has 60$ in my bank account toward his next "Disney" vacation. I just do the bookeeping. Also when we go on vacation, the money that he has "won", I divide it by the number of days that the vacation is, and he gets that much each day. So say he has $100 saved, a 5 day vacation would give him a $20 a day in his pocket to spend. Of course he usually does way better than that, since he is a pretty good bowler.

Enjoy the rest of your day Sports fans.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am sitting here getting ready to watch the Chicago Bears play the Oakland Raiders. Can you believe how bad both of these teams really are? I need to get up and change the channel on my radio, so that I can listen to the local announcers. Well one of these teams will feel a little better later on today, and the other will definitely know that their season is over.
    Pop Century Resort

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

Crappy sports day for me. My team, the Patriots, have a bye. I look forward to Sundays because I watch with my brother, sister in law and 2 year old niece. We're training her to be a football fan. Plus, my brother always makes a delicious dinner! Football and no cooking, great deal.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SorcererMickey View Post
    Crappy sports day for me. My team, the Patriots, have a bye. I look forward to Sundays because I watch with my brother, sister in law and 2 year old niece. We're training her to be a football fan. Plus, my brother always makes a delicious dinner! Football and no cooking, great deal.
    Sports can bring families together, and that is a good thing. I miss the days that my brother would stop by, because we could get his Cardinals on our Cable channel, and he didn't have Cable.

My Holiday Christmas Party with my family was always planned around Sunday Football. I always told everyone to show up about 3 p.m. They could stay home, and watch the first football game, and then they could come over for our party and watch the following 2 games. It always worked out great.

I hope that your day was great Sports Fans.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My sports section is filled with good news this morning. The Bears managed to win their game against Oakland. Rex Grossman was brought into the game when Griese became injured. It's not necessarily a sign of further success by our football team, but it's certainly better than being 3 and 6.

The Blackhawks were on television last night. I admit that I forgot to watch. The end result was a victory, and that's defintely good for Hockey in this town. I understand that Joan Cusack was seen in the crowd with her children. Gotta love the media, to always pull out the celebrity card. I have to pay better attention, and leave my (almost always off) television on to catch some more hockey games. I can definitely MiceChat and watch at the same time.

Enjoy the rest of your day Sports fans.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I guess Bears fans are fickle. Early in the season they were yelling "Griese, Griese, Griese". Now it appears they are perfectly happy to go back to Grossman because of the touchdown pass that he threw in the game on Sunday. I guess Coach Ditka's comment in my morning paper says it the best. The object of the game is to "Win". "Find a way to win a football game."

I am going to keep my eye on the Blackhawks hockey schedule. I need to start watching this team again. Otherwise this sports fan might actually be "bored" all winter.

Have a great day, everyone. Enjoy your sports' teams.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It was cold when I brought in my morning paper. I am so glad that my older age allows me the luxury of staying home in my nice warm house.

I guess since Rex Grossman scored last he's the present quarterback of the Chicago Bears. When is the last time that the Chicago Bears didn't have a quarterback controversy?

I listen to WGN radio a lot, and Jim Hendry says that the trade rumors about Rich Hill are not true.

Have a great day sports fans.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    My Holiday Christmas Party with my family was always planned around Sunday Football. I always told everyone to show up about 3 p.m. They could stay home, and watch the first football game, and then they could come over for our party and watch the following 2 games. It always worked out great.
    I was wondering if you organize Thanksgiving Day the same way, with the traditional games in Detroit in the morning (well, 11:30 or so your time) and Dallas in the PM. If you get the NFL network, there's a night game...and college games too...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I was wondering if you organize Thanksgiving Day the same way, with the traditional games in Detroit in the morning (well, 11:30 or so your time) and Dallas in the PM. If you get the NFL network, there's a night game...and college games too...
    We always eat early. Yes the Detroit game is always on. However, not everyone stays and eats. My brother in law on my husband's side, they leave before 3. It's like a revolving door at my house. No Norman Rockwell sit down dinner at our house, just lots of love. I always have the turkey done around 2. I can honestly say I just leave the huge pot of Mashed Potatoes on the stove, and they can help themselves. I put out the food on the kitchen table, and everyone takes what they like. I am thankful for microwaves, and paper plates. Even though, I always eat mine on a real plate.
    Pop Century Resort