Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12345122752 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I have a question regarding baseball. What is the wild card? What do the play offs consist of? When do they start? When is the world series?

I do know what the world series consists of

I think that's it for right now.
    There are two leagues in baseball. The National League, and the American League. Each League has 3 divisions. Each division has a champion. That is the team with the best record in it's divison. Then each league has a "wildcard team" at the end of the season. The wildcard team is the team with the best record, of the remaining teams that haven't won a division. This then gives you 4 teams that play in the playoffs in each league.

Where's Barry? He could probably explain this better than me.

Each league has 4 teams playing in 2 different playoffs giving you two winners, who then play each other, and that winner goes to the World Series.

Stay around and, perhaps you can learn as the playoffs begin. They begin as soon as the season is over. There are just a few games left to play, and many of the playoff spots are still up in the air. That's because it's been a really tight race.

My team, the Cubs, are really making me sweat.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Hi!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Hi!
    I see, that I am finally getting a few more people to peek in this thread. I figure we can never have enough places to just stop by and chat.

Hello, yourself.
    Pop Century Resort

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    There are two leagues in baseball. The National League, and the American League. Each League has 3 divisions. Each division has a champion. That is the team with the best record in it's divison. Then each league has a "wildcard team" at the end of the season. The wildcard team is the team with the best record, of the remaining teams that haven't won a division. This then gives you 4 teams that play in the playoffs in each league.

Where's Barry? He could probably explain this better than me.

Each league has 4 teams playing in 2 different playoffs giving you two winners, who then play each other, and that winner goes to the World Series.

Stay around and, perhaps you can learn as the playoffs begin. They begin as soon as the season is over. There are just a few games left to play, and many of the playoff spots are still up in the air. That's because it's been a really tight race.

My team, the Cubs, are really making me sweat.
    thank you, that explained it. I kind of thought it worked something like that, but the whole wild card thing confused me.

My team has me a bit uneasy as well.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Hi Scuba,

Adding to the Wild Card Discussion, frankly in my opinion it's one of the best moves baseball has made in years. Back in the 70s and 80s there were 4 divisions and only one team made it out of each division. I can remember the Angels having some great years and not making the playoffs. In the 70s the Royals were deadly, in the late 80s and early 90s the A's were unstoppable.

Now you have 8 teams going to the show and that means 8 more cities are now interested in October ball. Bud Selig hasn't been a great commisioner, especially filling the shoes of Bart Giamatti. But this was a decision that was great for the game.

Interleague play? We'll discuss that another time.

Chad

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Chicago Cubs don't normally play teams like the Yankees. When they did, they were quite successful. I like the different matchups. It spices it up a bit, and you get to see ballplayers you wouldn't normally see.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    The Chicago Cubs don't normally play teams like the Yankees. When they did, they were quite successful. I like the different matchups. It spices it up a bit, and you get to see ballplayers you wouldn't normally see.
    Here's my beef with it Barb.

It is unfairly unbalanced. The Mets have to play the Yankees 6 times every year. The other teams in their division have to play the Yankees 3 times every 3 years.

I love seeing the Dodgers in town and it's a hot ticket. But for many teams it just isn't fair. Problem is interleague play is a huge attendence draw. So despite my pissin' & moanin' it's here to stay due to the almighty dollar.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong. Won't be the first time.

Chad

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Here's my beef with it Barb.

It is unfairly unbalanced. The Mets have to play the Yankees 6 times every year. The other teams in their division have to play the Yankees 3 times every 3 years.

I love seeing the Dodgers in town and it's a hot ticket. But for many teams it just isn't fair. Problem is interleague play is a huge attendence draw. So despite my pissin' & moanin' it's here to stay due to the almighty dollar.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong. Won't be the first time.

Chad
    The almighty dollar has taken over the game of baseball. It's one reason that I haven't been to a Cubs game in years. They have priced me out of the ballpark.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I always thought that it would be fun to go to a World Series game. However, now that the playoffs take place in October, it can get pretty cold in Wrigley Field. Also the cost of a ticket is a lot. That is, if you can get one.

I'll enjoy my playoffs, in my nice warm house. Even though the television crew, won't get to do the game, I can listen to the local announcers on the radio.

At least we are still in it.

I'm still hoping for a Cubs/Angels World Series.
    Pop Century Resort

• Done and Gone

Though my Dodgers are going to be playing golf this October, the difficulty in obtaining playoff tickets is absurd. I got tickets to the one game at Dodger stadium last year, on the top deck area and it wasn't cheap. (and they disappeared in minutes.)

Before they went into a tailspin, they were advertising a lottery system for tickets so even if they HAD made it, I had to win a lottery first to get tix. How have peoples experiences been with the lottery system this year?

The closest I came to a WS game was in 2002. At work we tried to get tickets to some of the WS games and I was the only one whose webpage didn't time out. Of course, it was game 7 and everyone backed out saying it would never go that long despite my protests... So by the time I reloaded the page everything was gone. Sigh...

(oh and hi! lol)

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It really is a shame that the "average" fan cannot go to the World Series. I remember the days when the diehard fan would stand in line, to get a chance to see their team play. I can understand the need to do away with that, but it seems that so many tickets end up in the hands of scalpers, and become status items for people who really don't care about what is going on on the field.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

If the Brewers lose their game tonite, the Cub fans will finally get to celebrate in Cincinnati. The Cubs game got over before the Brewers game, and the fans are still there. I am surprised that they haven't hurried them along.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Padres are now leading 6 to 3 over the Brewers. The excitement is something here in Chicago.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Cubs are going back to the playoffs. The crowds are at Wrigley. It's party time here in Chicago.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Just thought I'd let you know that right next door to the "Stop By And Say Hi" place, I'm building the "RB Sports Grill" where soon our hungry MC sports fans will be able to chow down on the finest food, and watch every game imaginable...looking for suggestions to how to make it better. Look for my thread in this forum.

And while you wait for your table, what better person to hang out with...but Barbaraann.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12345122752 ... LastLast