Page 20 of 77 FirstFirst ... 10171819202122233070 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

It's been Wrigley Field at Clark and Addison, as long as I can remember. However, the park has changed so much, since I first went to the games. Nothing in life ever stays the same. It seems eventually all things will change. I can accept change. Some people can't.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

There was a time when we thought we'd never see night games there. As you I'm sure do, I remember a lot of games "suspended by darkness".

If the money brought in by naming it "Budweiser Park at Wrigley Field" or whatever allowed the team to get that one or two extra players to win them a World Series, would Cub fans care?

Personally, as a purist I'd hate to see him do it. The field is named after the former Cubs owner and his family, and not for the chewing gum company he founded. There was a Wrigley Field in Los Angeles, where the Angels played in their first major league season. Anyway, maybe if the Cubs ownership approached the Wrigley Company about a fee for naming rights, and marketing opportunities, etc...that might work out the best
    for Mr. Sam Zell and the Trib folks.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I don't have a clue what is going to happen with Wrigley Field. I know there are probably a lot of Cubs fans who would stop going to ballgames, if they mess with Wrigley as it is today. Then again, there are others that think that by pumping revenue into the team, it will bring them a World Series Ring.

Like I said before. Nothing remains the same forever, and I personally think that it is inevitable.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I may be listening to a whole lot of Sox games, now that the Chicago White Sox have put Steve Stone in the radio booth. I know he likes to ruffle feathers. However, he knows his baseball. Now, I can turn down the sound on my television, and listen to Stoney on the raido. It works for me.

Chicago is a two team city, and I know that the Sox are probably the lesser of the two teams, however, perhaps now, I can keep up.

Have a great Monday, Sports fans.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Ticket prices in Chicago for Cubs games are pretty steep. It's a hard ticket to get, and I don't even try anymore. I think it's about an average of about $35 a ticket. I guess most people pay a lot more with all the ticket brokers out there. There was a piece in the paper today, about how they want to add an additional tax to these tickets to help pay for all the renovation that needs to be done at the friendly confines. Doesn't sound too friendly to me.

Have a nice day on this sunny tuesday.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 03-12-2008 at 05:29 AM.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I'm not irish, but I like the color green. It does happen to be my grandson's favorite color. The Chicago Wolves Hockey team will wear green jersey's on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Then the jerseys will be auctioned off, with the proceeds going to the Easter Seals of Metropolitan Chicago. Replica Jerseys are also for sale if you go to the Chicago Wolves website. The Wolves play at Allstate Arena.

A man caught a 42 inch Northern Pike, that weighed 22.83 pounds. He was fishing on the Illinois side of Wolf Lake. There's a photo of that fish in today's paper. Imagine a fish almost 4 feet tall. Amazing. Biggest fish that I ever caught, wasn't even a foot.
    My grandson loves to fish. My younger son spends a lot of time fishing as well. I am too squeemish to take up fishing as a sport. I'm not about to touch the fish, and I am certainly not going to bait the hook. I am a "girl".

Put some sports in your day.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I like to talk. I guess if your reading this, you know that. I am not the most knowledgeable, but I do know what I like. I remember when I first watched the documentary about baseball by Ken Burns. I taped the entire 9 innings. I watch it from time to time, and I always watch it in order.

I remember seeing Billy Crystal on there. I really like Billy Crystal. I see that he's going to play baseball with the New York Yankees. How cool is that? Now if I was a guy, I'd like to do that. Not with the Yankees, but it would be fun to go to Randy Hundley's fantasy baseball camp. I am sure it is expensive, but I am sure it is fun to rub elbows with the major leaguers. Even if they are oldtimers, in the case of the Randy Hundley thing.

Good Luck Billy. Don't get injured.

60 is the old 50. (Did I get that right?)

Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I like to talk. I guess if your reading this, you know that. I am not the most knowledgeable, but I do know what I like. I remember when I first watched the documentary about baseball by Ken Burns. I taped the entire 9 innings. I watch it from time to time, and I always watch it in order.

I remember seeing Billy Crystal on there. I really like Billy Crystal. I see that he's going to play baseball with the New York Yankees. How cool is that? Now if I was a guy, I'd like to do that. Not with the Yankees, but it would be fun to go to Randy Hundley's fantasy baseball camp. I am sure it is expensive, but I am sure it is fun to rub elbows with the major leaguers. Even if they are oldtimers, in the case of the Randy Hundley thing.

Good Luck Billy. Don't get injured.

60 is the old 50. (Did I get that right?)

Billy's love of the Yankees has long been chronicled.

Of course, he has tempered that "winner" mentality with his curse of being an NBA Los Angeles Clippers fan

If you haven't seen the movie he made, 61*, I highly recommend renting it. It's maybe the best, certainly the most authentic, baseball movie ever IMHO.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I used to watch a lot of movies. My brother and I shared a lot of them. He would always tell me about the good ones. I haven't watched as many, since I discovered MiceChat. I used to buy a lot of them. I haven't rented any in a good long time.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Rick Sutcliffe has always been a favorite of mine. I loved him when he pitched for the Cubs. When he entered the broadcasting booth, I secretly hoped that the Cubs would have hired him. Mr. Sutcliffe has been diagnosed with colon cancer. It appears to be a very treatable form of cancer, and I wish him well.

My sister recently had colon problems, and I was glad that it wasn't cancer. It was instead, a medical term, too long for me to pronounce here. She's recuperating quite nicely after two surgeries.

Life gives us all bumps in the road. Some of us are luckier than others.

Put some sports in your day, today.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My grandson's birthday is coming up on March the 25th. He will be 15 years old. He spent the night last night, and we went shopping. I told him that I would buy him a Wii, if we could find one. Of course, none of the Chicago stores that we shopped at, had them.

Well today, just out of curiosity, I typed in Wii on my internet. The top entry claimed to have the Wii in stock, and they said that they would ship on March the 17th. I put in my order. The price was steep, but I have a Wii on the way to my house.

My husband wants to get off the couch, and get some exercise playing the game. We will set up the game downstairs, where there is room to move around. I won't tell my grandson, and I'll let him discover it instead, the next time he visits us.

Put a little sports in your day.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Rick Sutcliffe has always been a favorite of mine. I loved him when he pitched for the Cubs. When he entered the broadcasting booth, I secretly hoped that the Cubs would have hired him. Mr. Sutcliffe has been diagnosed with colon cancer. It appears to be a very treatable form of cancer, and I wish him well.
    Me too. Sutcliffe came up with the Dodgers, and was a good pitcher here in his days before he became a Cub. He's been one of ESPN's best analysts.

I played with a Wii at a friend's house during a party. It's addictive! Kathleen and I have been looking at getting one. I'm not much for video games but I like how you at least get some exercise out of it.

And oh by the way, the brackets are set for what may well have become the best single sports event of the year...the NCAA Men's basketball tournament. No best of sevens here...one loss and you're out...otherwise it's survive and move on for 64 teams...just one of which will cut down the nets in San Antonio.

Let the March Madness begin...it all starts Thursday morning on CBS.

-- Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today is St. Patrick's Day, so I have been typing in green. As I do, I am watching ESPN. The world of sports is full of green. Tiger Woods plays golf on the beautiful green golf courses of the world. Baseball - America's Pastime - is played on beautiful green baseball diamonds. A tennis court is green. The almighty dollar, which is green, certainly makes the world of sports what it is today.

Put a little sports, and a little green in your day, today.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Tony Esposito was honored at a Blackhawk game last night. He was a goalie for the Chicago Blackhawks, and wore #35. He was inducted into Hockey's Hall of Fame in 1988. He played his entire career with the Blackhawks. 15 years is a long time to play for one team. Mr. Esposito said in an interview on WGN radio, the other night, that he never wanted to leave Chicago. Chicagoans are the best, he said. I have to agree. Thanks. We think your the best, also.

Put a little sports in your day today.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Tony Esposito was honored at a Blackhawk game last night. He was a goalie for the Chicago Blackhawks, and wore #35. He was inducted into Hockey's Hall of Fame in 1988. He played his entire career with the Blackhawks. 15 years is a long time to play for one team. Mr. Esposito said in an interview on WGN radio, the other night, that he never wanted to leave Chicago. Chicagoans are the best, he said. I have to agree. Thanks. We think your the best, also.

Put a little sports in your day today.
    March Madness is now upon us. If you can find it in your heart, pull for my alma mater - good old Cal State Fullerton - a 14 seed playing Wisconsin - and later tonight, at Anaheim's Honda Center, my other favorite team - west top seed UCLA - begins its hoped for run to San Antonio.

According to Jay Mariotti yesterday, division one schools in the state of Illinois were 0-for-11 for making the "Big Dance" this year. Wasn't just a few years ago that the University of Illinois was in the championship game? I think the Illini won the title, but can't remember for sure. I remember they beat Arizona in that tournament in one of the best games I've ever seen.

Enjoy some hoops today...it's on CBS, basically for the next four days...and then on from there.