Page 21 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324314671 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

The Cubs have announced that Kerry Wood will be their closer. Now I don't know enough about the mechanics of pitching, or the ins and outs, of picking a rotation. However, I do know that I like Kerry. I wish him all the success that he deserves.

Put a little sports in your day today.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am listening to the Cubs on the radio. The Cubs open officially on Monday. I have always wished that the season would be shortened by a month on each end. You probably think that that is crazy. That's 2 months less baseball. However, here in Chicago, it doesn't warm up until May. October and almost November baseball is rarely played in Chicago, but I liked it better when the World Series was closer to September.

I know, the almighty dollar rules the game.

Put a little sports in your day today.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It's a huge sports day for Southern California fans. Over in Phoenix, the UCLA Bruins face Xavier, in the West Regional final. The winner goes to the "Final Four" in the men's basketball championship next weekend.

Even though the Bruins are the top seed in the region, they need to play a lot better today if they are to "survive and advance", much less think about the likes of North Carolina, Kansas, Memphis....

And it's a truly historic day for baseball out here. The Dodgers are celebrating 50 years in Los Angeles all this season.

Tonight, they face the Boston Red Sox in an exhibition game to be played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum -
    a stadium meant for football, track and field, the Olympics, etc.

But when the Dodgers first came to LA...they played their first four seasons there, before Dodger Stadium was built. (It's hard to believe that Dodger Stadium, one of baseball's great jewels, is now near the top among the oldest still operating ballparks in the majors.)

An estimated 115,000 fans will watch tonight's game, with the Coliseum back in its baseball coinfiguration - complete with the 200 feet to the left field stands, if you can hit it over a 60 foot high fence.

I'll be watching on TV, and probably saving the tape.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Are you ready for opening day, baseball? My Chicago SunTimes, will have a 20 page special sports section, tomorrow. Both Chicago teams are playing in the afternoon. The Cubs are at Wrigley. It will be good to see the ballpark full of people again, even if it is on television. Each and every year, Cub fans predict this will be their year to win the whole thing. It is 100 years since they have. The Sox fans are still bragging.

See you in the morning, sports fans.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

By the by...the Dodgers said that a crowd of 115,200 came out to see that game at the Coliseum Saturday night...and that is thought to be the largest crowd to ever witness any baseball game, anywhere at any time in history.

It was indeed quite a night. Vin Scully, who is in his 59th season with the team, wondered if they'd be back there to play another such game, 50 years hence.

He said he was pretty sure he wouldn't be around for it.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The special baseball edition of my SunTimes, features two twin brothers who root for teams on the opposite side of Chicago. Those baseball heads are simulated, they didn't really do that to themselves out of loyalty to their teams. They used to both be Cubs fans, and the one brother got tired of his team losing, and he switched back in 2001.

Opening Day is always a fun day. Everyone has the hope of staying in first place the entire season. You start there, and you hope to end up there, after a long season of over 160 games.

At 10 a.m., Chicago time, they will dedicate a statue to Hall of Famer, Ernie Banks, who will most likely want to "Play Two", today. I remember the days of scheduled double headers. Baseball is the same game that it was in Ernie's Day, then again, a lot of things have changed.

Put a little sports in your day, sports' fans.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 03-31-2008 at 05:33 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My husband's cousin was the president of Ernie Banks fan club, here in Chicago. I wonder, if she was listening when they dedicated the statue today at Wrigley Field.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I'll Have more time to read my sports section, now.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Yesterday was an exciting day for Chicago sports' fans. Ernie Banks got a statue, and many baseball greats were there to share in the fun. The Japanese rookie, Kosuke Fukodome had three hits, one of them being a game-tying home run. However, the Cubs lost, and Kerry Wood disappointed the crow, starting with hitting a batter.

However, spring is here, baseball has returned to Wrigley, and the ivy will soon be growing.

Let's play two. That's the way it should have read. The grammar police was out in full force, as the statue had an error etched in stone.

Put a little sports in your day, sports' fans.

• most magical vaca ever

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh FINALLY

Anxiously awaiting my teams home opener this evening... What a tease yesterday was
    ~~~~~~

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2 View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh FINALLY

Anxiously awaiting my teams home opener this evening... What a tease yesterday was
    I love your avatar. Isn't it great to have baseball season back?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

During the dedication of the Ernie Banks statue, the Chicago Cubs ballplayers were watching from the ballpark. Look up, and see Cubbie Blue.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I ordered a new floor from the popular Empire Company that is seen on many television commercials here in Chicago. The salesman was a likeable guy. I was up front with him when I told him that I also called Luna, which also does flooring.

The salesman showed us some really nice laminate, and I was impressed with the quality. I sat down with him, gave him a deposit, and set up an installation date. I told him, that unless Luna gave me a better deal, I would be going ahead as planned.

The Luna guy showed up on time, and only carrying a small bag. We climbed the stairs to my tenant's place. I mentioned it was a kitchen floor, and he said, he thought it was a carpet order. Well I took his estimate, and since I didn't see the product, I went with the Empire guy. Their estimate was comparable, and I felt Empire did a much better presentation. I have used them before.

Now what does this have to do with sports? When I was signing the order, I looked down at the salesman's signature. It read Dan Marino.

Put a little sports in your day, Sports' fans.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Cubs lost to the Milwaukee Brewers today by a score of 8 to 2. You don't want to start the season off by losing, but it is just 2 games old. Ron Santo has a way of really whining a lot, when the team does badly. He is probably acting just like a lot of fans, who are watching from home.

I always listen to WGN at night. They have a pretty good program called Sports Central. It is on now. Let's see what the fans have to say tonite.

Enjoy your day, sports' fans.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post

During the dedication of the Ernie Banks statue, the Chicago Cubs ballplayers were watching from the ballpark. Look up, and see Cubbie Blue.
    Is it true what I have heard about the typo forever etched in stone on the Banks statue?

"Lets play two"? (No apostrophe in "let's"?)

In stone for all to see.

Couldn't the Tribune Company spare a proofreader?

-- Barry