Page 23 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526334873 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

I listened to the White Sox on the radio yesterday, and it was good hearing the voice of Steve Stone. I wish that he was on television instead of Hawk Harrelson, who I really don't understand. I guess he uses too many baseball catch phrases that I don't the meaning of.

19 runs were scored by the Cubs last night at Wrigley. I actually fell asleep listening to them, since I never got up to turn on the television. I am surprised at the patience that Pat Hughes has with Ron Santo. I believe Mr. Hughes really and truly likes Ron Santo, and that comes through in their broadcasts.

The Cardinals have snuck by the Cubs in the NL Central. It's a long season, and the Cubs had a great April. Today has Soriano returning to the lineup. The Cubs manager reported last night that we would find out today his decision on the matter. My guess, Soriano leads off, until and if, he fails miserably.

Put a little sports in your day today.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post

Kosuke Fukudome doesn't realize that when you make the cover of Sports Illustrated, that isn't necessarily a good thing. Of course, he wants to be the exception to the rule.
    Especially when said cover essentially proclaims that this will be "the year" for the Cubs.

Just another jinx, or curse, for Cub fans to deal with. But I know that you, Barbaraann, really don't believe in such things - nor do I, in the final analysis.

I know you've told me before, but could you refresh my memory as to why you don't care for Ron Santo? He certainly is a "homer' on the radio, but he had a good playing career there, and is looked upon as a role model by some as he's dealt with his health issues.

Is it just a subjective thing?

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So its one game out of 162. Isn't that how many they play? I know that everyone who is a Cubs fan wants them to finally win a World Series. However, why do they get so excited when the Cubs lose one game? Did Lou Piniella make bad coaching decisions? Did Kerry Wood hit that batter on purpose. Was Fukudome really safe at home? Does Ron Santo really have to whine like that when he broadcasts? Is it early in the season? Did Lou Piniella show his frustration when he almost lost it at today's press conference? Stay tuned. I'm sure there will be more and more of these kinds of questions as the season goes on.

It is only a game after all.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I really don't care about the personal life of a football player. I don't understand how a person can drink and drive. I know it was a boat, and not a car, but it still seems like irresponsible behavior to me.

Ozzie Guillen is starting to sound like the guy who constantly whines "I don't get no respect". He must accept the fact that the Cubs are favored in this town over his team. It has been that way for a long time, and that's not about to change anytime soon.

The Cubs are now looking up at the Cardinals. No team wins them all. Yet, for some reason Cub fans are more critical this year than in the past. I guess 100 years without the top prize makes you a little less tolerant.

I picked Barbaro a few years back to win the Kentucky Derby. I had to choose that horse. My name is Barbara. His name was Barbaro. I even won some money, because a friend placed a bet for me. I always watch the Derby, and choose a horse, just for the fun of it. Saturday, I chose Eight Belles. Chose her for the fact alone that she was a female. I yelled out "I'll never choose another horse in a horse race again", when the horse that came in 2nd at the Kentucky Derby had to be euthanized on the spot after breaking the ankles on her two front legs. My heart breaks for the people who love these beautiful animals, that give their all on the race track.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have been reading about the event of 10 years ago today. Cubs Pitcher, Kerry Wood struck out 20 Houston Astros, and tied a Major League record. He was a rookie at the time. When he went out to dinner after the event, no one knew who he was. He was able to enjoy his dinner, and watch the highlights of the game with a fellow team mate. I like Kerry Wood. He's had a lot of injuries. Now that he is the Cubs' closer, I wish him the best. No one knows the future, but for one magical day, he was tops.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 05-06-2008 at 03:19 PM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I don't live very far from Wrigley Field, here in Chicago. I decided to take my camera, and take a ride down to the ballpark, and get some photos of the Ernie Banks statue. Since it's been a while since I have actually been to a game, due to the rising costs, I figured I better get down there and at least check out this monument to Ernie Banks.

The statue is great. I just wish that they would have placed it in a better location. The backdrop behind it is not that appealing. Of course, someday, that backdrop could change.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I only watched a little bit of the end of the Cubs game today. It was nice to see the Cubs sweep the Diamondbacks, and Kerry Wood getting another save. I was glad that they got the game in. It was cold and rainy today in Chicago. A good end to my mother's day, was a victory for the Cubs.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Cubs have done well lately. Tonite they play the Padres. I guess most would say that they should win this game. I'll be listening while I do a few pages in my scrapbook.

Have a nice evening sports fans.

Go Bruins!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It is way too early for me to start feeling good about the Cubs. However, I do feel good about the Cubs. They are winning. They are pitching well, and hitting well. Cub fans are fickle, and they go from hating Soriano, to loving him. Today they love him. The Cubs winning, means that Ron Santo is whining a little bit less.

I fell asleep listening to the Sox game last night. The Sox are playing 500 baseball. I'll take it. Their season can go either way. I actually was invited to a Sox game this Tuesday. I am going to take my camera, so I can get photos of the World Series Monument.

Enjoy your day, Sports fans.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I turn around, and both the Cubs, and the Sox are on top of their respective divisions. That's a rare sight for a Chicago baseball fan.

Soriano is the golden boy again. Don't blink, though. because a week from now fans might be asking management to sit him again.

Tomorrow, I am going to the Sox game. It has been a while, and I am looking forward to it.

Big Brown won in style at the Preakness on Saturday. Will the horse win the Triple Crown. Only the horse knows for sure. We have been close so many times before. It's fun watching him run.

I like to watch ESPN early in my day. I can catch up on sports, and other fun sports tidbits, and trivia.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I had fun at the Sox game last night. The Sox hit two homeruns, and won the game, 4 to 1. Our seats were in the Upper Deck. We were right behind the Foul Pole on the 1st base side. I can't believe, that I sent my husband a text message, and mistakenly told him we were on the 3rd base side. Sometimes, I think my brain isn't attached.

I loved the statue that now sits in front of the park. It is a tribute to the World Champion White Sox of 2005.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The White Sox are on a winning streak, and the Cubs are hopefully not going to continue losing.

The Chicago Bulls are picking first in the basketball draft. I don't pretend to know anything about this. However, when this announcement was made the other night, there was a roar at the ballgame that I was at.

My husband has been bowling with our Wii. He says that it really raises his heart rate. I know he comes up the stairs, all sweaty, when he is done bowling about 4 games at a time.

I am sitting here dozing off. I guess I should get some shut eye.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

How much does it cost on average to go to a ballgame? I know tickets can run well over 30 dollars face value. If you have to go online to purchase one, you can pay twice that amount. The other night Kathy paid $22 dollars to park. I wasn't hungry, because I ate a late lunch, so no snacks for me. However most people can probably spend between $10, and $15 a person on food. Now that's a lot of money to go to a ballgame.

I really appreciated the freebie the other night. Adam won his tickets, so it was nice of him to invite us along.

America's favorite pastime is no cheap date.

Enjoy your day - enjoy your sports.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Interesting bit of scheduling where Chicago fans have the two LA-area teams in, back to back.

Thanks to great pitching the Angels were able to take two of three on the South side without being able to "hit" water even if they fell out of a boat onto Lake Michigan.

Meantime the Dodgers left 11 men on base yesterday in 3-1 loss at Wrigley...just what the Cubs needed after losing 14 and 11 inning games in Pittsburgh.

Loved the pic, Barbaraann.

Enjoy your sports day.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.