Page 25 of 77 FirstFirst ... 15222324252627283575 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

I'm probably a bit naive when it comes to possible "fixes". I try not to believe in them. But after watching that race, and hearing that "Big Brown" passed physicals both after the race and the next morning, it really leaves you wondering.

The Cubs are overall a much better team than the Dodgers right now. But the games are played on the field, and I am surprised a bit that the Cubs only managed a split of their four games out here.

They may not be the "Devil" Rays any more, but Tampa Bay's surprising young team sure came out to the Big A with bats at the ready, 13-4 in the series opener. Ouch. I do root for the Rays when they are not playing the Angels, though. Their manager, Joe Maddon, was Mike Sciosia's bench coach for years in Anaheim, and it's nice to see guys like that do well.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Who does everyone dislike more? Milton Bradley of the Texas Rangers, or A.J. Pierzynski of the Chicago White Sox. Just curious

EDIT: Whoa, sorry. Must've click on the wrong thread. This was meant for the baseball thread. Sorry!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

All sports talk welcome here.

AJ is one of those players who rubs people the wrong way. It kind of reminds me of Dennis Rodman when he wasn't playing for the Bulls. No one liked him. Then the Bulls got him, and he became "our guy" and he didn't seem so bad. All types of personalities play baseball. We don't have to like them. No one liked Ty Cobb either.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Let me say again, from a distance anyway, I like A.J. and admire his fire and passion and the way he plays. Some Angel fans blame him for the loss in game 2 of the 2005 World Series. He was merely doing what he could for his team to win. And it wasn't his fault that the Angels didnt hit a lick in that whole series.

I know that Barbaraann might not want to hear or see this, but it does come from one of her favorite broadcasters. Steve Stone said in an ESPN interview on Pardon The Interruption today...that he thinks that there is a 50-50 chance of a Cubs-White Sox World Series. Barbaraann has posted repeatedly in the past that she wouldn't want to see that.

One of the hosts, writer Michael Wilbon, is an avowed Cubs "homer" and said if that happened, the world might come to an end around November 1st.

Angels-Cubs I could go for. And if that's the matchup, it will be year 101 on the north side.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Hey, I'd rather have a Cubs/Sox World Series than no World Series.

It's just that as a Cubs fan, who just happens to also root for the other baseball team in town, I want the Cubs to finally get to the Series and win it. Cubs' fans in this town have waited so long for their team to play well and get to a World Series. The year that they were 5 outs a way was pure agony. The fact that the Sox got there finally themselves, and won it all is also agony to some Cubs' fans as well. Although I was happy for our city and it's fans.

So. I hope the Cubs play well enough to get to the Fall Classic, and I'd like to play anyone but the Sox. If the Cubs did get to the series, and lost to the Sox that would be the absolute worst agony for a Cubs' fan.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Soriano gets hit, on the hand, by a pitch. They rush him to the hospital, and he has a fracture. Now the talk will switch to who should lead off for the Cubs.

Kevin Butler, sings the 7th inning stretch for the Cubs. Pat and Ron interviewed him right before he sang. Not a bad job for past Bears Star.

The Cubs are winning in the 7th inning. I see the Sox lost their ballgame today.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Soriano will be out 6 weeks.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

With interleague play, a lot of teams are playing in strange parks right now...making their first visit in some cases.

The Atlanta Braves beat the Angels in Anaheim last night. Atlanta's Chipper Jones, hitting well over .400, hit himself on the noggin during batting practice last night in what they'd certainly call a "freak" accident.

He's said to be on a day-to-day basis.

In other words, just like the rest of us.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Ask a Cubs' fan in Chicago, "How about them Cubs?" and you get a response along these lines. "Somewhere near the end, they will find a way to blow it, they always do". Now, what kind of an attitude is that? It's the attitude of most Cubs' fans. They can't enjoy the victory without the doubt that when all is said, and done, the Cubs will lose their last important game of the year, and pack their bags, and go home, and we will begin year 101 with nothing.

I say, I am having a great time watching this year.

Good Morning Sports Fans.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I see that the Hall of Fame Game between the Cubs and the Padres was not played today, due to bad weather. I have always wanted to go to Cooperstown. Since I don't drive, I doubt that I will ever make the journey. My brother had planned a journey East to Canton, and possibly Cooperstown, but he passed away, before that could happen. He most likely would have saved me a seat in the car to make that journey, since he and I made the journey west to the Field of Dreams.

The SunTimes today has an article speculating about a Cubs/Sox World Series. I think it is a little premature to be thinking about that. Ron Santo commented how that event could have dangerous side effects for the fans.

I am enjoying my day off from sports. Watching sports that is, because I still read my newspaper back to front.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I am a golf fan when it comes to the major events. My father-in-law is a big fan, so the get together at his house Sunday naturally included the compelling finish of the final round of the US Open.

I turned on ESPN at 9AM thinking I'd watch at least a little of the 18-hole playoff between the greatest player ever, and the little-known 45 year old.

Sports at its best is great theatre and a compelling story. And Monday at San Diego's Torrey Pines had huge heaps of both. And I watched all 19 holes.

-- Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Golf? I can honestly say that the only golfing that interests me is the miniature golfing that I do with my grandson in Wisconsin when we go to the Dells. They used to have a Little Links course, which was a 6 Hole Course for families. I tried it one year, and I was terrible. Sean actually did pretty well.

Golf is harder than it looks. I had a hard time hitting that ball off the tee. Of course my husband's comments, and suggestions didn't help. I am married to an impatient man, who can't understand why I'm not coordinated enough to hit that little ball.

I love the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ethel want to play golf with the men. They get tricked into learning a whole wierd set of rules. At the end of course they turn the tables on the men, and get the last laugh.

I tried Wii Golf the other day, and let me tell you, that was easier than the real thing.

Have fun watching the Golf, and or playing the game if that's your thing. That's the real reason for sports after all. The enjoyment it brings into our lives.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I consider myself the most casual kind of golf fan, again really only watching during the major events.

But today was about more than just golf. David was staring down Goliath, and had the stone in his slingshot when Goliath, better known as Tiger Woods, snatched it away as only he can.

When I get the chance to see the best that's ever lived in any sport I try to take advantage of that. And root against him when a little known 45-year old who'd never won a single major event (Rocco Mediate) takes him to the mat.

Here was a guy that had knee surgery just a couple of months back...and he still was good enough to play 91 holes of golf and win what is traditionally the toughest event of the year...the U.S. Open.

Tiger Woods is one of the greatest athletes of all time.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am getting ready to listen to the Cubs play the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. WGN does a pregame interview with the manager, and Lou Piniella announces his lineup, and makes a few positive comments about his team. Typical pregame stuff. I prefer listening to the after game interview. They are always more colorful.

Tonite they are talking about the Astro Turf that the Cubs are playing on tonite. A similar surface was played on in Toronto. I don't know about this technical stuff. I just like hearing them score runs.

I'll keep you informed about the score, sports fans.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I am getting ready to listen to the Cubs play the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. WGN does a pregame interview with the manager, and Lou Piniella announces his lineup, and makes a few positive comments about his team. Typical pregame stuff. I prefer listening to the after game interview. They are always more colorful.

Tonite they are talking about the Astro Turf that the Cubs are playing on tonite. A similar surface was played on in Toronto. I don't know about this technical stuff. I just like hearing them score runs.

I'll keep you informed about the score, sports fans.
    With all due respect to Monsanto, inventor of the turf first used indoors at the Houston Astrodome in the 60's,
    I wish that it would be banned from baseball parks.

Owners used it a lot in the 70's because it cut down the cost of upkeep. But many players have suffered injury and had careers cut down because of it.

And on hot days, it would soak up the heat so that it would be like standing on a frying pan in the infield.

Most parks have either retained or gone back to natural grass now. Too bad they all can't.