Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1623242526272829365176 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

I'll be doing some channel-changing tonight. Lakers-Celtics gets top priority since its a clinching game if the Lakers lose. But the Mets-Angels game in Anaheim definitely has added interest after they fired their manager (the Mets) in the middle of the night.

I may post a score or two as well!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Good to see you Barry. Dempster is pitching for the Cubs tonite.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Cubs left the bases loaded in the 5th inning. Not good, not good. The score at the moment is tied at one.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Well, it sure is good in Boston - where the Celtics don't appear to be a'needin the leprechaun like they used to have in the old Garden.

They are embarrassing the Los Angeles Lakers at the half, 58-35, and barring a miracle it'll be time to party in Boston sometime before 9PM Eastern.

As for the Angels they lead the Mets and their new manager Jerry Manuel, 3-1 in the 2nd at the Big A. Manuel, by the way, used to manage the White Sox.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Now the game is in the ninth inning. The Cubs are behind 3 to 1. Fukodome has just gotten a hit. The Cubs have 2 men on, and there is one out. A wild pitch has resulted in one run scoring. The Cubs are now behind 3 to 2.

Strike 3 to the batter, and now the Cubs are down to their last out of the game.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Cubs had 2 men on in the ninth inning, and a bunt failed. Cubs lose, as the out is made at first.

Well no body wins them all, and the Cubs are losers tonite.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

And the Lakers season draws near its end, with the party about to begin as the Celtics get NBA title number 17.

After three quarters...89-60 Boston.

With their effort tonight why did the Lakers bother making the trip back?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Basketball. I don't know about basketball. As a teenager, I could make a free throw. I once played on a team, where the girls wern't smart enough to watch the clock. We were ahead, and instead of using the time to our advantage they let the other team get the ball and score one too many times.

I admit I haven't been watching the Lakers, and the Celtics.

I do understand frustration, though. I have heard it from the mouths of Cubs fans, as they watch their team go down in defeat one too many times when they really needed to win.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I'm not frustrated, per se, since as I said - I haven't really been a Lakers fan for some time now.

But I still relate to their longtime rivalry with the Celtics...and my heart was broken more often than not by those teams in the 60's and 80's.

And it's one thing to lose...but...131-92??? In Boston?

What an embarrassment to the likes of Magic, and Kareem, and Jerry West and Elgin Baylor.

And Barbaraann, any talk of Kobe Bryant being Michael Jordan's equal? That's gone by the wayside now.

-- Barry

Oh by the way, the Angels lead the Mets 3-1 in the 6th inning.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The Cubs are finding out what the American League already knows.

That's a good Rays team in Tampa. Actually, St. Pete.

I'm one of those guys who will still pull for guys that are a part of Angels lore.

Like Rays manager Joe Maddon, Mike Sciosia's bench coach for many seasons.

And, of course, Percy coming in to get the save - like he did over 300 times for us, most notably wrapping up game seven of the 2002 World Series.

Good for you, Troy Percival.

- Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Yes indeed. The Cubs have lost two games to the Rays, and Zambrano left the game with a sore shoulder. Well we shall see what happens next. I certainly hope they play better this weekend when they meet the Sox.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today, I take off my Chicago hat, and I put on my Cubs hat. The Crosstown classic begins today. The Cubs play the Sox at Wrigley Field. The game is about 6 hours away, and the fans are already gathering.

My paper is full of hype about the game. In fact, there is a special 15 page section on the event. Most of it is just fun stuff, but there's also a lot of negative press. Cubs fans and Sox fans, for the most part don't like each other.

I root for both sides of town, until they play each other. Then I bleed Cubby Blue like the majority of North Siders. Perhaps it is because I am just down the road from Wrigley. Perhaps it's because the first ballpark, I ever visited was Wrigley. Perhaps it's because of Ernie Banks, Rick Sutcliffe, Billy Williams, Ryne Sandberg, and memories.

I remember sitting there with my first son when it was 3$ for a box seat, and the ballpark was empty. I remember sitting in Center Field when Bill Veeck did the same thing.

The Cubs just returned from Tampa, where there were more Cubs' fans than Rays' fans. The Cubs lost all 3 games there, which is definitely not a good thing.

However, the Cubs have the best fans in baseball. They have not had the best team for 100 years. I remember the celebration when the Sox won in 2005. I remember the celebrations when the Bulls won, and the Bears won. If the Cubs ever manage to pull off a World Series victory, well then you will see celebrating, all the rest will be pale by comparison. It is a Cubs town, and the Sox don't like being the 2nd baseball team in the great city of Chicago.

Play Ball!
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Cubs have started a new tradition. Everytime the Cubs win their game they sing. Go, Cubs Go. It's a song from 1984. Great song! They sang today. The Cubs won 4 to 3.

The fans are happy on the Northside.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It's only June, and yet each and every day lately in my newspaper, there is World Series talk. It isn't cockiness, it is just a midwest town that is happy to see the boys of Summer playing well. That's the team that plays on the North Side of my town. Cubs fans are enjoying this. Granted, a lot of people think that the Cubs' fans care more about the Wrigley Field experience than they do about the baseball on the Field. Don't you believe it. Yes, they drink a lot of beer at Wrigley. Yes, they do indeed worship the ivy. However, they love their ball team. Why else would they sell every seat, every game, over and over again? Standing Room only, attendance records will be set again, that's for sure. Also, when the Cubs are playing in certain other ballparks, there are just as many Cubs' fans as there are home team fans.

Sox fans that made the trip to Wrigley, do some bragging about their recent World Series victory. Cubs' fans are concentrating instead on enjoying the season at hand.

Trash talking is present in most sports, I think. I remember a Little League Coach that used to tell his boys to let their bats do the talking. The game is played on the field, and I guess when all is said, and done we will see if either of these teams are there at the end. Talk is cheap. Good baseball will win out in the end.

Enjoy your day, sports fans.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    It's only June, and yet each and every day lately in my newspaper, there is World Series talk. It isn't cockiness, it is just a midwest town that is happy to see the boys of Summer playing well. That's the team that plays on the North Side of my town. Cubs fans are enjoying this. Granted, a lot of people think that the Cubs' fans care more about the Wrigley Field experience than they do about the baseball on the Field.
    Isn't that what a certain Cubs fan was saying here a couple of years ago? That the owners wouldn't improve the team because they hadn't the incentive, with all the folks coming out for Wrigley, and the "lovable loser Cubs"?

Glad to see that the Cubs are winning, in any event.

-- Barry