Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 123456132853 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

Very few cities have two major league baseball teams. Now, I happen to root for both teams in my town. I was first introduced to baseball by my brother. As kids, we visited my cousin, who lived on the the South Side of Chicago. My brother became a Sox fan. My brother, and my cousin went to many Sox games. I remember the 1959 season, when the Sox won the penant. The sirens went off, and my brother went nuts. I rooted for the Sox, along with my brother, because they were the better team at the time. The funny thing was, that we lived about 8 blocks away from Wrigley Field, in 1959. I remember how the Sox lost the World Series. It was hearbreaking for my brother.

I always liked the game. I liked to play. I liked to watch. My brother followed the Sox very closely, but he also liked Mickey Mantle of the Yankees. He would quiz me on the Sox lineup. He like to stump me. He had a much better memory then I did about sports stats. Then again, most guys do.

Well we became teenagers, and my brother stopped talking to his sister. Now he hung out with his friends, and got a girlfriend, and I at the age of 16 met, my now "husband", who was a Cubs fan.

I went to my first Cubs game when I was in 8th grade. I remember the first time I went to Wrigley. The place was so cool. I remember there was just something so great about watching a game there. The problem was. The Cubs were terrible.

I got married in 1966. I was 18. Had my son in 1967. Slowly by slowly, I started rooting for the Cubs. I remember 1969. My son was only 2 at the time. My husband was expecting the Cubs to win. They were in first for so long. Then the black cat, and the Mets, and well...you know the rest.

My kids and I went to many Cubs games, before the Tribune bought the club. Box seat tickets could be bought the day of the game. The Bleachers were always fun. My kids rooted for the Cubs, like their mom and dad.

Then my kids played "Little League" baseball. My brother's kids played "Little League" baseball. Our kids ended up on the same teams. Both of our kids played pretty good. My brother started talking to his sister again. I kept score, and my brother managed a team for a few years. Baseball brought my brother "close" to me again. Although later, we found out just how much we had in common, and just how much we thought alike.

By now, my brother figured I was a Cubs fan. However, I never rooted against the Sox. I always wanted them to win, because they were Chicago. I remember 1983 when they got in the playoffs. I bought my first VCR, and I had taped the locker celebration. My brother came over, afterwards to see what he had missed, because he was at the game.

I always said that I rooted for them both. If I had to choose, I guess I'd choose the Cubs. I think it is because they are long suffering. I think it is because, my kids and I spent time at Wrigley.

My brother said that if I was ever really a Sox fan, then I'd never wish the Cubs well. I can hear my cousin saying that. He was a diehard Sox fan, who hated the Cubs. His own brother said he was a Cubs fan.

It's a complicated story. Cubs and Sox fans in the same city. In the same family. There's a lot of gloating going on right now. The Sox are saying they are better, because they did it first.

I am hoping that the Cubs fans can say they are better, because they did it last.

I really wish that my brother could have seen his Sox win the World Series. Douglas passed away in 1994.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I get up early here in Chicago. It's usually dark outside. I turn on some lights, and I head out the door for my morning paper. Excuse me, if I've told you this before. This morning I woke up a little earlier, and the paper wasn't there yet. So, I came inside, and spent some time, sorting my scrapbook supplies. By the time I went back to finally retrieve my paper, my neighbor's cat was awake. You see, my tenant upstairs leaves her front door open. She always has. The problem is, she has a new cat. His name is Ben. Ben doesn't know that he's not suppose to run in my house, or worse yet outside. So, it's a game with me and Ben. Can I get out that front door, and grab that paper without him fleeing to the great outdoors? Usually my tenant hears the encounter and calls Ben. Ben, then sits on the stairs, and we wonder which way he is going to pounce.

I should just train that cat to bring in my paper.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have decided to read the Chicago SunTimes online from now on. My morning paper can just sit out there, and I will bring it in later, with the mail. It beats fighting with a cat, who doesn't know not to run outside.

There is no baseball today.

I am not smart enough to discuss the finer points of the game. I am also not a trash talker. By that I mean that I won't declare the outcome of these games, or make any wild prediction about what the Cubs are capable of.

As our local radio guy says, I am just "enjoying the ride".

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Tomorrow I will be watching the Cubs/Diamondbacks game, in the comfort of my home. I will probably have my radio sound on and the television picture. I can also MiceChat at the same time. I am getting really exciting. Should I make a prediction? No, I am not that brave.

I bought myself a Wrigley Field shirt. I will probably wear that.

Am I going to watch any of the other games? Probably. I need to check the times, and channels of those.

A lot of people here in Chicago are upset that the only way they can watch the Cubs game is on cable. Baseball has taken a big step backward, with that decision.

See Ya.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

A lot of great sports stuff is coming out, now that the Cubs have had such a successful season. I only wish that I had enough spare cash to afford it all. There are a lot of books, CD's DVD's, t-shirts, hats, etc. etc....

I guess I'll put some of that great stuff on my Christmas "wish list".

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am watching the last few pitches of the Phillies/Rockies game. Looks like the Rockies are going to win this one. As I am typing this, the game has ended. The Rockies have won the first game of this short series.

The next game on the schedule is the Angels/Red Sox game. I am rooting for the Angels in that game. My wish is for an Angels/Cubs World Series. My grandson played for Little League, and wore an Angels uniform.

In just 4 hours, the Cubs will be playing.

• Nela25

Barbaraann,

I will be at the Cubs vs. D'backs game tonight!! Unfortunately, not rooting for the Cubs. I work for the D'backs so my loyalty goes to them. I would be rooting for the Cubs if they weren't playing the D'backs though....EVERYONE IS A CLOSET CUBBIES FAN!!

I just hope to watch a great and memorable baseball game tonight!

Plus we still love Bob Brenley here!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nela25 View Post
    Barbaraann,

I will be at the Cubs vs. D'backs game tonight!! Unfortunately, not rooting for the Cubs. I work for the D'backs so my loyalty goes to them. I would be rooting for the Cubs if they weren't playing the D'backs though....EVERYONE IS A CLOSET CUBBIES FAN!!

I just hope to watch a great and memorable baseball game tonight!

Plus we still love Bob Brenley here!!
    Be loyal to your team, whichever one you like.

Have fun at the game.

• Banned User

hi Barbara ! Barry, and all you sports fans. Please do not laugh I am a sport fan, just not the normal sports fan I love sumo wrestling, bob sledding, boxing, and my all time favorite .... roller derby. I miss these sports and do not get ot see them very often. I do not have sports channels, So when I see these sports I go wild

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    hi Barbara ! Barry, and all you sports fans. Please do not laugh I am a sport fan, just not the normal sports fan I love sumo wrestling, bob sledding, boxing, and my all time favorite .... roller derby. I miss these sports and do not get ot see them very often. I do not have sports channels, So when I see these sports I go wild
    I have never watched sumo wrestling. Those men are so scary. I have seen roller derby though, and that is a pretty wild sport. I never roller skated like that. I give those skaters a lot of credit just staying upright.

Sports is a good way to chase away the blahs of our live. Enjoy the sports that you love.

I have noticed that Steve Stone is one of the broadcasters of the next game. I like Steve Stone's broadcasting.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am assuming that all the Angels' fans are in front of their television of choice. Or perhaps they are at work, with a radio to their ear. It reminds me of being a kid, and the teachers let us listen to the World Series games at school. They were on in the 1 o'clock hour back then.

• Banned User

Where does one see these baseball games Barbara? I do not see them on my tv, I have digital cable, do you have to have a sports package to recieve them?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    Where does one see these baseball games Barbara? I do not see them on my tv, I have digital cable, do you have to have a sports package to recieve them?
    The baseball games are on TBS. I am not sure what channel that would be in your city. Sorry for the delay in answering. The Angels game is about 1/2 over, and the Cubs game is on later.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

What is sure to happen after the first game of the playoffs is over? There is sure to be posted the stats about the likelihood of the loser ending up winning.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Angels game is over, and now I get to wait for the beginning of the Cubs game. I must decide if I am sticking with the local announcers on my radio. Yes, I think that I will turn the television sound down and just listen to Pat and Ron on WGN.

The Angels were defeated by the Red Sox 4 to 0.

Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 123456132853 ... LastLast