Page 38 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1328353637383940414863 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

Right now I'm still trying to shake off the feeling from last year, that the Angels can have the best record, win their division by 20 games or whatever, and have all that wiped away in just four games.

I'm sure the Cubs fans at that convention this weekend will be trying to shake off a similar feeling.

Barbaraann, the main drag just a block or so from my house is Highway 101.

Maybe the Cubs could take "Highway 101" (as in years) to finally reach that championship off-ramp...

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

You never know Barry.

I am listening to WGN and Jim Hendry just spoke at the Cubs Convention. I believe that the Cubs management is sincere about wanting to win. They just haven't put together the best combination yet. I hope that they get it done in my lifetime. Last season was a fun one, I admit. It ended on such a sour note.

How many days to opening day? Perhaps we should count it down.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

23 days until pitchers and catchers report to spring training!

Meantime there is football today.

Please explain the NFL's scheduling logic, since the Eagles at Arizona game, played in what is essentially a dome, is being played this afternoon...

While the Baltimore-Pittsburgh game, in an open air stadium, arctic blast city, is being played AT NIGHT.

I'm sure it's all because that's the way TV wanted it.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am glad the Cardinals game is on first. I can watch it now, while I do other things, and I don't have to pay attention at all to the later game. By that time, I will be knee deep in dinner plans.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am a Bears fan. Everyone here probably knows that. My brother Douglas, who was exactly 53 weeks older than me hated the Bears. When they won the Super Bowl back in the 80's, I am sure my bother was not very happy about it. He's always been a Cardinals fan. When I was younger, I always wondered about that. I was never very smart about football. How could I not know that the Cardinals began in Chicago?

When we were kids, we would visit my aunt on the southside of Chicago. My cousin, Wayne was a Sox fan, and a Cardinals fan. He is the reason that my brother always rooted for those two teams, rather than the teams that us Northside Chicago fans rooted for. The Bears and the Sox.

My brother was a loyal Cardinals fan, and followed his team to St. Louis, and then to Phoenix, and now those Phoenix Cardinals are known as the Arizona Cardinals.

In memory of my brother, Douglas, who passed away in 1994. I am rooting for the Cardinals to win the Super Bowl. My brother's best friend called me today shortly after the victory. How can we not think about Douglas today?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post

In memory of my brother, Douglas, who passed away in 1994. I am rooting for the Cardinals to win the Super Bowl. My brother's best friend called me today shortly after the victory. How can we not think about Douglas today?
    I thought about your brother quite a bit today. He's the main reason (along with you of course) I'm glad the Cardinals won today. FOX provided a bit of Cardinals history today, too, which was nice.

Some of this I posted in the football thread, and some I just thought of.

In 1946, the year your brother was born, the Cleveland Rams moved to Los Angeles.

In the mid-80's, the Chicago-turned-St. Louis "football" Cardinals moved to Phoenix.

In January of 2000, Curt Warner was the quarterback that took the by-then St. Louis Rams to their only Super Bowl Championship.

The Rams last season in Los Angeles (by then playing at Anaheim Stadium)? 1994, The year your brother passed away.

On February 1, 2009 Warner will quarterback the Cardinals in their first NFL Championship Game/Super Bowl.

Turn, turn, turn - there is a season, turn, turn, turn.

And I love the avatar.

-- Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today our country gets a new President. I know that we elected Barack Obama back in November. Why do I still have to look up the spelling of his name? Mr Obama is a Sox fan. He has been shown wearing his Sox hat on a few occasions. He likes to shoot hoops. I heard an interview yesterday about the possible addition of a basketball court at the White House.

I like the fact that our President is a younger man. Perhaps, it is because I am an almost Senior citizen. The Young People are the future of our country. Sports is a big part of my life. I am glad that my President is a sports fan too.

Enjoy your Inauguration Day, Sports fans.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I remember when the Bears won the Super Bowl. It was a few days later when the Challenger spacecraft had it's accident, and the astronauts were killed. The Bears team was supposed to visit the White House, howver they did not because of the Challenger.

It seems that Steve McMichael still wants that honor, and he is going to ask our new President Barack Obama, to afford the team that visit that was cancelled almost 25 years ago.

Enjoy your day sports fans.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I read about a man who met his wife at Wrigley Field. This same man has offered to pay 900 Million dollars to purchase the Cubs. His name - Thomas Ricketts. Will it take a lifelong Cubs fan, as owner of the team, to bring a World Series to Wrigley Field?

I also read about how Milton Bradley will wear Sammy Sosa's number 21. The notion of retiring Sammy's number was brought up. The Cubs don't retire too many numbers. Is Sammy in the same league as Santo, Williams, Banks, and Sandburg? We shall see.

Enjoy your day, Sports fans.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post

I also read about how Milton Bradley will wear Sammy Sosa's number 21. The notion of retiring Sammy's number was brought up. The Cubs don't retire too many numbers. Is Sammy in the same league as Santo, Williams, Banks, and Sandburg? We shall see.

Enjoy your day, Sports fans.
    Two of my favorite names of current baseball players...

Coco Crisp - sounds like a cereal.

and...

Milton Bradley - sounds like he should be making board games.

I remember Milton Bradley from his days with the Dodgers - when he threw plastic bottles into the stands.

He's a "head case".

My first instinct is to say that Sosa should not be in the same category with the other Cubs. But with many fans, he had a great image there.

But I also remember that he could be a head case too, particularly in his younger days with the White Sox.

And when we went to the Angels-Rangers game a couple of years ago, I remember your family's reactions to Sammy...

Does Sammy belong in the Hall of Fame? As in another thread here, if Mark McGwire's being kept out, somewhat hypocritically, than Sosa should be too.

In this era of corporate baseball ownership - wouldn't it be nice to see the fan, Mr. Ricketts, to take on Angels fan Arte Moreno in the Fall Classic?

We can dream, huh, BA?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We are back to a 3 sport season in my newspaper. Now that the pitchers in baseball are reporting for Spring training, there's baseball news in my paper along with hockey, and basketball.

With all the changes that happened over the off season, I am going to have to get a scorecard to know just who's new, and who's still here from before.

Ozzie Guillen has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to steroid use, and I applaud that attitude. The new Sox Spring Training facility in Glendale, Arizona is state of the art according to the players.

Sports is back on the menu.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The Rays have nothing bad to say about their new spring training complex in Port Charlotte. They absolutely love it.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I guess I can understand how a brand spanking new training facility can make for a better performance by the players. At least that's the idea.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Well, the Rays new complex really isn't brand new. It's where the Texas Rangers used to hold their spring training camp until they left for Arizona. They gave it a multi-million dollar makeover for the Rays. From what I've seen so far, it does look very nice. Sadly I won't be able to make it down to Port Charlotte for any games this spring (all the home games sold out). All the Rays spring training games I'm going to are away games. My first one is on less than 2 weeks just a couple miles up the road from me when the Rays take on the Phillies. World Series rematch! I'll be armed with several cowbells.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I found this little bit of information buried in the sports section of my Chicago SunTimes. The Chicago Cubs will begin issuing wristbands on Wednesday, February the 18th for the chance to purchase tickets. Individual game tickets go on sale on Friday, February the 20th. The writbands are numbered and the number drawn, means that is the first person allowed to purchase tickets, and then they are sold in sequence after that. You need to provide 2 pieces of ID, (one with a photo) in order to obtain a wristband.

I found this all quite amusing. I am remembering the days when people lined up at the ballpark and took their turn. I used to do it fact, and was usually able to secure plenty of tickets for games throughout the baseball season.

I guess the Cubs are too big a draw for that to work successfully anymore. Instead, if you want a ticket, you get your wristband, and hope there are tickets left, for your dates, when your number is reached.

Now if you are not able to purchase your tickets from the Cubs at face value, you can always deal with a ticket broker, or arrive at the ballpark and find the many individuals that seem to be around asking "who needs tickets?"

Sucess has it's price, that some of us are not willing to pay.

Enjoy your day sports fans.