Page 39 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1429363738394041424964 ... LastLast

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

Hey sports fan. Here at the University of Kansas, the men's basketball season has been bittersweet. Last week, we lost to one of our rivals Missouri, but then we came back and beat our other rival, Kansas State! Here's to hoping a good rest of the season.

• we jumped out a window

astrologic, your Jayhawks won it all last year! If you want true bittersweet, look no further than my UCLA Bruins...in the final four the past few years but always fell short. This year, we're down to #20.

*sigh sigh* Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, we could sure use you guys about now!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Cubs fans show up in large numbers at Wrigley Field for those aforementioned wristbands. I understand that if you are lucky enough to get the right number, you will have a two hour jump on the people waiting for the phone lines to open.

I guess it's almost next year.

May 11 - 16, 2015

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I turned on my radio today, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Cubs were playing their first Spring training game today. Who are they playing? The Dodgers. The same team that beat them when they last took the field. It was good to hear the game again. There's been talk of Manny and why he hasn't signed a contract yet. By the way, the Cubs just scored on a grand slam.

Baseball......it's back. I just wish Ron Santo would stop saying, "this is the year!"

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Spring training games started today.

Pre-sale for Rays single game tickets for members of their e-newsletter starts tomorrow. I got my email with the password and picked out the first set of games I want to go to (waiting for them to announce the theme nights/summer concert lineup before I pick any Saturday games). Emailed the list to the BF and told him to let me know before 9am tomorrow what games he wants to go to & he said ok. Haven't heard from him about it. Screw it. I'm not buying him any tickets. He blew it on this one.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Thursday was a good, and a bad day for Chicago Bulls fans. The team got to meet the new President and see the White House. There was a picture in my Chicago SunTimes of the President holding a Bulls jersey with the number 44.

Norman Van Lier played for the Bulls. He passed away on Thursday. My Friday paper was full of tributes to the man who played back in the 1970's.

Johnny "Red" Kerr also died on Thursday from prostate cancer. This was a short time after the Bulls honored him at a ceremony and dedicated a statue of him.

Basketball isn't my expertise, but when Michael Jordan played for the Bulls, I do recall the presence of these two great "Chicago Bulls". It's a sad time for Chicagoans.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Hello, sports fans.

In case anyone had doubts that some folks are hurting financially right now...the LA Times this weekend had stories about a "job fair" the Dodgers had at Chavez Ravine, to fill roles of ushers, ticket takers, janitors, hot dog vendors, security guards and the like for the upcoming season.

About 500 jobs were available.

About 7,000 people showed up, waiting several hours hoping for a chance of a short interview, and maybe a call-back from the team.

And oh yeah. Manny Ramirez's agent turned down $45 million dollars because some of that money would be deferred over a few years.

Not that agents or players are out of touch with the real world or anything.

To paraphrase the late, great Paul Harvey...

Sports fans,

Good Day!

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My neighbor is hoping to get a job in the maintenance department at Wrigley Field. He is a pretty good handyman, and has not had a regular paying job for quite a long time. He picks up jobs wherever he can, but a regular paycheck would make his life so much better.

I am thankful every day for the fact that my husband has a job. If he lost his I don't know how quickly he would find another.

It does seem quite ridiculous when these athletes turn down so much money. I hear the reasons behind those decisions. It is usually based on some comparisons as to their "worth". None of them are "worth" what they are paid. Then again, what do I know?

I know that because of the salary demands of players, I am no longer able to afford to go watch baseball at Wrigley Field on a regular basis like I used to.

It's a changing world, and change is not always for the good.

Have a nice Monday Sports fans.

May 11 - 16, 2015

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Now if I had my way, the baseball season wouldn't start until May. That way, you could allow the ballplayers who wanted to play in the World Baseball Classic to do it, and Spring Training would start a month later. The Baseball season is way too long in my opinion. I'd shorten it on the other end too, with all regular games over by the end of August. That way the playoffs can be played in better weather, instead of worrying about freezing temps in October.

Of course this will never happen because Money Talks.

5 months of baseball is plenty long enough for me.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    That way the playoffs can be played in better weather, instead of worrying about freezing temps in October.
    Well, we won't have to worry so much about October weather this year as far as the World Series goes.

Since game 1 is scheduled for November 1st.

Shudder.

Have a great evening, baseball fans.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

That is even more ridiculous. November baseball. Now, I do indeed love the game, but it should be played in warm weather, and not in a dome. The sun should be shining, and the average fan should be able to attend. I guess I have a lot of gripes about what the game has evolved to.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

On the bright side, when the American League wins the All-Star game again, the Cubs will get to come out to nice, balmy Anaheim for games 6 and 7.

We can wish.

-- Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My heart says yes, but my head says no. Or is it the other way around?

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The new "MLB Network" baseball channel is running a show called "30 clubs in 30 days" - an hour long profile on each team during spring training, heading into the season.

Their show on the Cubs has not aired yet, but guys in the studio have already picked the Cubs to win the NL Central again - they have said they think the Cubs are the best in the league, with the Phillies second (I say the Dodgers, with Manny, are third).

As for the Angels - well, there are just more good teams in the AL. Look at Tampa, the Yanks and the Red Sox in the East. Then in the Central, the Indians, Tigers and White Sox.

And all three other teams in the AL West have improved too.

Still, it could happen.

-- Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I would rather not be the team "that looks good on paper". The only thing that matters is the last team standing at the end.

May 11 - 16, 2015