Page 40 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1530373839404142435065 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

Carlos Zambrano has been named the opening day pitcher for the Chicago Cubs. Some might question that decision, since he is winless in opening day starts. This will be his 5th consecutive opening day start. The Cubs open in Houston on April the 6th.

My favorite opening day pitcher from the Cubs has always been Rick Sutcliffe. I have always enjoyed his pitching, and I like listening to him when I catch his announcing.

Soon, baseball is coming soon.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    My morning routine has always been to wake up, turn on the tea kettle, and then read the morning newspaper. You quessed it!. I read it front to back. I am a sports fan. Right now, I am watching ESPN. Sports is a big part of my life.

Are you, a sports fan? Stop by, and say hello. Talk about what's on your mind. In, and out of the world of sports.

Your not a sports fan? Stop by, and say hello, also. We just might convert you.
    I just glanced at my first post in this thread, and I can't believe the error that I made. It's too late to change it now, it would look rather ridiculous to show an edit of about 18 month's time.

Now everyone knows that a bonafide sports fan reads their paper from the back to the front.

I can't believe that I made such an error. Then again, I am a Cubs fan who also roots for the White Sox. Some people claim that can't be done either.

Just clearing the air.

Enjoy the rest of your day, sports fans.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I just glanced at my first post in this thread, and I can't believe the error that I made. It's too late to change it now, it would look rather ridiculous to show an edit of about 18 month's time.

Now everyone knows that a bonafide sports fan reads their paper from the back to the front.

I can't believe that I made such an error. Then again, I am a Cubs fan who also roots for the White Sox. Some people claim that can't be done either.

Just clearing the air.

Enjoy the rest of your day, sports fans.
    Depends on which paper you read.

Many newspapers (especially in the Midwest and East) start their sports section on the back page in a tabloid format, which I believe is the case with the Sun-Times.

However, here in the West the newspapers I am familiar with (the LA Times, Daily News and others) are (I can't remember the term) horizontal fold-overs, with separate sections all to themselves.

So therefore my Times sports section starts on page one of section D. So therefore I indeed read mine from front to back.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So I guess it's time for March Madness. I opened up my newspaper today, and I saw the page of brackets. It's all blank. I guess when the teams are chosen then you make your picks. I have never done this, but I guess March Madness is a big thing for basketball fans. I know that my first born son, Phillip, always has his bracket sheet on the coffee table, and fills in his picks.

Have fun sports fans.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

There was an interesting article in my morning paper. It seems that Carlos Zambrano grew up a White Sox fan. It seems that he is also friends with Ozzie Guillen the White Sox manager.

That's cool with me. I wouldn't mind, if he ever left the Cubs, and just happened to showup on the south side of town. It wouldn't be the first time that happened.

Enjoy your day sports fans.

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Depends on which paper you read.

Many newspapers (especially in the Midwest and East) start their sports section on the back page in a tabloid format, which I believe is the case with the Sun-Times.

However, here in the West the newspapers I am familiar with (the LA Times, Daily News and others) are (I can't remember the term) horizontal fold-overs, with separate sections all to themselves.

So therefore my Times sports section starts on page one of section D. So therefore I indeed read mine from front to back.

-- Barry
    You mean Section C of the LA Times, right Barry?

I'm not a fan at all at how condensed the section has become. For this morning's edition, there were only 7 pages of sports coverage. What's the world coming to???

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Cubs are retiring the jersey #31. The problem? That jersey was worn by Ferguson Jenkins, and then later by Greg Maddux. Retiring this number is a little confusing to me. You see, the Cubs do not normally retire too many numbers. You have but a handful. There's Banks, Williams, Santo, Sandberg. Correct me, if I have forgotten anyone. Those numbers fly from the two foul poles at the park.

What's the plan here? Now I agree that Jenkins is synonymous with the Cubs. However, Greg Maddux was a Cub, then a Brave, then a Cub, and now I have lost track exactly where he ended up.

If the number is going to fly at Wrigley along with the 4 above "Cubs" then it should be #31, Jenkins. Leave Maddux out of it.

Enjoy your day, sports fans.

• we jumped out a window

Maddux also had stints with the Padres and Dodgers. When his name is mentioned, I don't exactly think about his time with the Cubs and I'm sure most people don't so that's a bit odd that his jersey gets retired.

• Laughing Last..

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    Maddux also had stints with the Padres and Dodgers. When his name is mentioned, I don't exactly think about his time with the Cubs and I'm sure most people don't so that's a bit odd that his jersey gets retired.
    Agreed, I know that when someone mentions his name, I instinctively think Braves. He's not so great as to have his number retired with the Cubbies, Braves maybe, but not the Cubs.

Deviating from the topic, I got my tickets for the Galaxy season opener tomorrow at Home Depot Center. Can't be much more excited, except for the Angel's home opener April 6! Any other soccer fans out there?
    LOS ANGELES
    ANGELS
    OF ANAHEIM
    WHAT A STUPID NAME

CALIFORNIA ANGELS FOREVER

Baseball is our religion
    The stadium our cathedral
    Beer and peanuts our sacrament

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

So.... Korea is currently kicking Venezuela's collective butt in the WBC. Crazy.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I haven't watched even one inning of the World Baseball Classic. Not sure if that is a good thing, or a bad thing.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My paper was full of articles about the World Baseball Classic. Is it a good thing? What effect has it had of the players? Or is that affect? Even Derek Lee who didn't play in the WBC was bothered that he was asked to fill in, when he was resting up from a minor ailment.

Like I said before. Change the beginning of the season to May, and perhaps everyone that wants to play in the WBC can, and still have time to get ready for Major League Baseball.

On a happy note, my neighbor got that job at Wrigley Field, and went for his orientation the other day. I am happy for him. Besides, the fact that he is a big Cubs fan, he will now have some steady income.

I remember the days of watching my grandson play, Little League, practice games in the cold days of April. It's hard to believe that April is almost here. It seems like just yesterday, that I was watching Hockey on New Year's Day.

Enjoy your sports, whatever it may be.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The WBC isn't every year. It's like every 3 or 4 years... kind of like the Olympics. Starting the season in May would then make everything run into December, which would be WAY TOO COLD for the teams up north who play in outdoor ballparks. It's bad enough the World Series this year doesn't start until November, due to the season starting late form the WBC.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My idea has always been to take a month off each end of the beaseball season. However, that will never happen. Baseball is a buisness. A big money business. Players getting paid millions of dollars. I understand how they need a certain number of games to bring in the revenue to pay them. However, I think it has all gotten way out of control. I don't pretend to know anything about the business side of baseball. I like watching, and I just know that I am no longer able to afford the pleasure of a "day at the ballpark", like I used to. Then there are players turning down million dollar contracts. Seems all wrong to me.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Barbaraann, I was watching Huel Howser the other day and did you know that between 1921 and 1951 the Cubs did their spring training on Catalina Island?

Catalina as you probably know is the island that sits off of the coast near DL. It used to be owned by William Wrigley, hence the connection to the Cubs.

Next time you come to DL you might want to check it out for the day. It's a nice place to visit in general but there is a barnershop there (I think the name is Lolo's) that has a lot of old Cubs memorabilia to look at. There are also a few other Cubs-related things peppered here and there including the Wrigley Mansion. Seems like a pretty nifty place for diehard Cubs dans.