Page 41 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1631383940414243445166 ... LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

Yeah the politics of baseball give me headaches of epic proportions. I've even had a personal run-in with a former GM of the Tigers that left me wanting to punch the guy in the neck (long but awesome story).

I'm glad the Rays keep their tickets affordable. The most I paid face value for the tickets I've bought so far this season was $16 for an upper deck seat behind home plate, 4 rows back. That's for one of their "premium" games. The rest were $10-$13.

You want a "cheap" day at the ballpark, go to a minor league game. Tickets are under $10, parking is usually $5 or under and you get to see the future of baseball.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Barbaraann, I was watching Huel Howser the other day and did you know that between 1921 and 1951 the Cubs did their spring training on Catalina Island?

Catalina as you probably know is the island that sits off of the coast near DL. It used to be owned by William Wrigley, hence the connection to the Cubs.

Next time you come to DL you might want to check it out for the day. It's a nice place to visit in general but there is a barnershop there (I think the name is Lolo's) that has a lot of old Cubs memorabilia to look at. There are also a few other Cubs-related things peppered here and there including the Wrigley Mansion. Seems like a pretty nifty place for diehard Cubs dans.
    I second your recommendation, DIP.

Barbaraann -

I vaguely remember a story about a swap between Wrigley and the then-minor league Los Angeles Angels. I'll have to research that. In Spanish, Los Angeles is pronounced "Lohss Ahn'-ell-ess" and it means "the angels" or "city of the angels".

Anyway, the old Los Angeles Angels of the Pacific Coast League played their games at Wrigley Field, Los Angeles. That is where the old "Home Run Derby" TV show was filmed.

With the coming American League expansion of 1961, Gene Autry went to the league meetings in 1960 to secure the radio rights for the new major league Angels for the station he owned, the legendary KMPC 710.

He wound up buying the franchise, and the major league Los Angeles Angels played their first season at Wrigley Field, long since gone.

The Angels moved in at the then-new Dodger Stadium in 1962, moving to Orange County to christen the brand new Anaheim Stadium in 1966. The rest, as the say, is history.

As for Catalina, you hear the song by the Four Preps in the Sunshine Plaza at DCA.

"26 miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is a-waitin' for me, Santa Catalina, the island of romance..."

-- Barry

PS...In case you were wondering, Huell Howser does shows on various places in California for our region's main PBS station, KCET. The main show he does is called "California's Gold". He's a bit of a qurky character, but his shows can be quite entertaining.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Barbaraann, I was watching Huel Howser the other day and did you know that between 1921 and 1951 the Cubs did their spring training on Catalina Island?

Catalina as you probably know is the island that sits off of the coast near DL. It used to be owned by William Wrigley, hence the connection to the Cubs.

Next time you come to DL you might want to check it out for the day. It's a nice place to visit in general but there is a barnershop there (I think the name is Lolo's) that has a lot of old Cubs memorabilia to look at. There are also a few other Cubs-related things peppered here and there including the Wrigley Mansion. Seems like a pretty nifty place for diehard Cubs dans.
    That does indeed sound like fun. I am not a frequent visitor to the west coast, but I will definitely keep that in mind for future visits.

Thanks for the info.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Here's what I found...some good stuff...

The Cubs on Catalina

Wrigley actually owned the PCL Los Angeles Angels back then.

And Mr. Lolo, the barber that DIP referred to, apparently at least had a tryout with the Cubs at one point.

Baseball has ties to its history and records unlike any other major sport.

-- Barry

I also feel that Catalina is well worth one day of any West Coast visit. I haven't been there in several years - getting the itch now to go back.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link Barry, and for putting a little magic back in my day.
    Pop Century Resort

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Sad day in baseball...

Former Tiger great George Kell died in his sleep yesterday. He was 86.

I grew up listening to him & Al Kaline doing the commentary for Tiger games on TV (and Ernie Harwell on the radio). I loved how he'd get so excited when a Tiger made a good play or hit a home run. I got to meet him one Opening Day back in the 90's. He signed a ball for me and and I got my pic in the Detroit paper (big pic too... in color!) when a press photographer snapped a shot of him taking my ball to sign. He was a greally nice guy.

He was supposed to come to my home town (Grand Rapids) this summer for an appearance at a West Michigan Whitecaps (the Tigers low Class A farm team) game for one of the "Tiger Fridays" promotion they're doing this year. They were going to give out bobble heads of him and he was going to sign autographs too.

I feel a little sick to my stomach.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

There are some heroes in our lives that we think are going to be around forever. They are always there. They become part of our day lives, and routine. Then one day, their time comes, and they aren't here anymore. It leaves a big hole in our hearts.

I am sorry for your loss.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Sad day in baseball...

Former Tiger great George Kell died in his sleep yesterday. He was 86.

I grew up listening to him & Al Kaline doing the commentary for Tiger games on TV (and Ernie Harwell on the radio).
    I have Kell's and Kaline's autographs. When I was a kid, I mailed out about 10 autograph requests every week for probably 3 years, and I got an awesome collection of baseball players' sigs.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have been sitting here listening to the ballgame on WGN radio. The Cubs are playing the Colorado Rockies. According to Ron Santo, and Pat Hughes, the Cubs are pretty happy with the team that they have assembled this year. I was sitting at the bowling alley this morning, and a friend of my grandson had noticed an ad in the newspaper. Someone was selling Cubs tickets for an exorbitant amount of money. I mentioned how, I like to watch, and listen, to the baseball games from home. A lot cheaper, and I don't have to fight the crowds, or worry about the rain. I know, there's atmosphere at the ball park, but perhaps someone will invite me to a ballgame, when it warms up a little.

Enjoy your Saturday Sports Fans.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Chicago Bears traded their quaterback, Kyle Orton today for Denver quarterback Jay Cutler. I heard the news on WGN this afternoon. WGN sportcaster David Kaplan gave credit to SunTimes reporter Mike Mulligan. Mulligan wrote an article about this in my morning newspaper, hours before the trade was actually made.

Also on the minds of Chicagoans today, was whether or not Chicago should host the 2016 Olympics. I am not really sure how I feel about this. I love the Olympics. Can Chicago successfully host them? Not so sure about that. Not unless we fix a few things first.

I understand that tomorrow the Cubs will make the journey to New York City to play a game in the New Yankee Stadium. The best in baseball plays the team that wants to win it all just once. Exhibition only, sort of a dress rehearsal?

The Chicago Blackhawks are still not technically in the playoffs, even though the tickets have already been sold. Hockey fans are holding their breath.

Interesting sports day, here in Chicago. Interesting day in Chicago, altogether the ex Governor is vacationing at Disney World, while being indicted in Chicago.

Sometimes, it's pride I feel, and sometimes it's embarassing to live in this great sports town, of Chicago.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    The Chicago Bears traded their quaterback, Kyle Orton today for Denver quarterback Jay Cutler. I heard the news on WGN this afternoon. WGN sportcaster David Kaplan gave credit to SunTimes reporter Mike Mulligan. Mulligan wrote an article about this in my morning newspaper, hours before the trade was actually made.
    Good for Kaplan, an employee of the Tribune Company, to credit a reporter from a rival newspaper.

The Bears got very much the better of that deal. Cutler is a very talented quarterback that for reasons I still can't fathom, couldn't get along with the Broncos.

With the defense they have, Cutler's good enough to take that team to the Super Bowl.

-- Barry

PS...As I write this, I am working the Angel-Dodger exhibition game for the local Dodger radio affiliate in Ventura, CA. Dodgers lead, 3-1 in the 5th. The Dodgers and Angels used to stage a "freeway series" each year for the final weekend of spring training. But this year, they're playing just the one game tonight. The spring series lost its luster, with the two teams playing six times in the regular season each year now.

• mountains beyond mtns.

I've been shaking my head for the past few weeks with the Cutler situation. Does he really think he's the only athlete in the history of professional sports to have nearly been traded? With the Broncos, he had great offensive weapons and an emerging offensive line albeit an extremely lousy defense. With the Bears, he has maybe only one offensive threat, Matt Forte but a great defense.

He did throw an awful lot of INT's last season though that might have been a function of having such an awful defense that they always played from behind and had to throw, throw, throw. It'll be interesting to see how he fares next season.

As for the Freeway Series losing its luster, I'll say this - Traffic around Dodger Stadium today wasn't the same as it's been in the past. I go past the park on the way home from work so it's always interesting to note the correlation between the number of people going to the game and the current standings.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Jay Cutler claims to be Bears fan. He grew up in nearby Indiana. It's nice to have a quarterback that wants to be here. Hopefully, he will do well in Chicago.

I see that the Cubs lost at the New Yankee Stadium. I wonder how long it will be called the New Yankee Stadium?

If the Blackhawks hold their 2-1 lead in the game tonite the fans will be able to use those playoff tickets.

Stay tuned, sports fans.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So the Blackhawks scored one more time, and the final score of 3 to 1 puts them in the playoffs for the first time in the last 7 years.

Congratulations to the Chicago Blackhawks.
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post

As for the Freeway Series losing its luster, I'll say this - Traffic around Dodger Stadium today wasn't the same as it's been in the past. I go past the park on the way home from work so it's always interesting to note the correlation between the number of people going to the game and the current standings.
    The Dodgers always draw. Three million plus per season, etch it in stone. Beautiful stadium that hardly shows its age, in one of the most beautiful settings of all in baseball. And with the current buzz about Manny, and the fact that they are the odds-on favorite to win their division, look for a good deal of traffic.

As for Cutler, on further review...the Bears got an all-pro quarterback but they gave up a lot...Orton and two first round picks...hmmmn...