Page 42 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1732394041424344455267 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

You got to take a few chances in sports.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    You got to take a few chances in sports.
    ESPN carried his press conference live today. Cutler said all the right things.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am sure that he was sincere. Seems to me, he wanted to be here, and that is why the deal got done.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Senior Minion

I feel for Reds fans going to Opening Day. Temp: 35, with snow and dropping temps. Brrr.....

On another note, an older gentleman who also walks the mall the same time we do every morning told us some good Bengals jokes.

Q: "Why are there no Tornadoes in Cincinnati?"
    A: Because touchdowns don't exist at Paul Brown Stadium

Q: A kid goes to the judge and says he doesn't want to live with his dad because he beats him, so the Judge asks if he wants to live with his mom, but the kid says no because she beats him, so the judge asks who he does want to live with, and the kid replies, "the Bengals because they never beat anyone."

According to a recent poll, there are far more Reds fans than Bengals fans here in Cinci.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

They are predicting cold weather for the beginning of the baseball season, here in Chicago. The first month of the season is always the hardest to tolerate, due to the temps.

Funny Bengals' jokes.

The Cubs are not making me laugh, as I sit here and watch them losing badly to the Yankees. I know it doesn't count today, but no one likes to lose against the Yanks.

May 11 - 16, 2015

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Michael Jordan was elected to the basketball Hall Of Fame. Why does this not surprise me?

May 11 - 16, 2015

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Why do I like baseball? I played it as a kid. The schoolyard was at the end of the street that we lived on. We didn't even have to cross the street to get there. There was enough room for a game of fast pitch, and also for a game on the diamond. In the Summer, the girls I played with always got up early. We could always have a few games completed before the boys arrived, past noon, and wanted to chase us off. We would some time argue with them, but usually we left, because we were hungry by that time.

I could never catch with a baseball mitt. We either played softball, or we used a rubber ball, the size of a regulation baseball. I liked to pitch, but I don't profess to be that good. I could get it over the plate, and that was the point after all.

I remember when my grandson was in the Coach Pitch League. I tried pitching. The problem was that I threw underhand. That was how I did it as a kid. I was terrible. We switched, quickly, to my son pitching. He pitched really good to our team, and our kids won the championship that year.

Baseball is one of those sports that most of us have played. Some of us better than others. I never had any power. I couldn't hit a home run, but I got a lot of base hits, and I ran well enough to get around the bases.

The boys played with a regular baseball, and with baseball gloves of course. My brother would spend his entire day, down at the schoolyard. I always dreaded being the one to tell him that it was time for supper.

Have you played the game lately?

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Sometimes, we are emotionally, violently jolted into the reminder that baseball, even at its highest levels, is indeed just a game - no matter how much we all get wrapped up in it, and passionately follow it.

I, along with many other Angel fans, got just such a reminder when I clicked my radio on this morning.

That's when I found out that 22-year rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart, who made his 2009 pitching debut just last night, was killed along with at least two others by a drunk driver in another car who ran a red light, at an intersection about five miles north of Angel Stadium.

The team, and much of Major League Baseball, is devastated, and the lives of many people have been changed forever by the stupidity of a man who decided to drink, drive, and then leave the scene of the accident. Of course, he received only minor injuries.

The A's -Angels game scheduled for tonight has been postponed, as you might imagine.

RIP, Nick Adenhart and the two others killed. My prayers are with all of the others concerned.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Why do I like baseball? I played it as a kid. The schoolyard was at the end of the street that we lived on. We didn't even have to cross the street to get there. There was enough room for a game of fast pitch, and also for a game on the diamond. In the Summer, the girls I played with always got up early. We could always have a few games completed before the boys arrived, past noon, and wanted to chase us off. We would some time argue with them, but usually we left, because we were hungry by that time.

I could never catch with a baseball mitt. We either played softball, or we used a rubber ball, the size of a regulation baseball. I liked to pitch, but I don't profess to be that good. I could get it over the plate, and that was the point after all.

I remember when my grandson was in the Coach Pitch League. I tried pitching. The problem was that I threw underhand. That was how I did it as a kid. I was terrible. We switched, quickly, to my son pitching. He pitched really good to our team, and our kids won the championship that year.

Baseball is one of those sports that most of us have played. Some of us better than others. I never had any power. I couldn't hit a home run, but I got a lot of base hits, and I ran well enough to get around the bases.

The boys played with a regular baseball, and with baseball gloves of course. My brother would spend his entire day, down at the schoolyard. I always dreaded being the one to tell him that it was time for supper.

Have you played the game lately?
    I never was any good at baseball. I had speed but poor hitting skills and mechanics, poor fielding skills, I can't even throw the ball very far. As a kid I was a proverbial late bloomer and kids being kids and therefore not very sensitive to that, I always got picked last or next to last for just about every sport.

I would imagine that most people with such a background do not become sports fans later on in life. However, as I started to catch up to the other kids in height in middle school, basketball become a solace for me. Unlike baseball, I could actually hone my skills shooting the ball on my own and as I lived across the street from a school, it was very convenient to do so. I also found that there were many other ways to contribute to your team for basketball, besides scoring baskets. All those years of getting passed over had placed quite a chip on my shoulder and so that got channeled into becoming a ferocious defender and rebounder. I never was the best player out there but many times I was the most determined and tried the hardest.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Being part of a team is a good feeling. I never got to participate in organized team sports when I was a young girl, because organized competition did not exist in the high schools when I attended. If it had, I would like to think that I would have joined. I always loved gym in school. We played basketball, of a different kind, called captain basketball. Although basketball was not my favorite, I did like being part of the team, in our gym class, and I always tried my best. At one time, I could hit a free throw, from the free throw line. Nowadays, the ball just seems so heavy. A team, is like a puzzle. Fit the pieces together just right, and you have success. Even greats like Michael Jordan had to learn team play.

May 11 - 16, 2015

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today is the home opener for the Chicago Cubs. It wouldn't be complete without seeing Ernie Banks interviewed, and the comments about the goat, the curse, and the "Let's Play 2" call.

I only went to one home opener. It was many years ago. The game never got played. It was rained out. We sat in our seats, and waited, and waited, and they never played. It wasn't much fun. That was back when you could actually buy a ticket to the game. Now, they are really hard to get.

My neighbor got that job at Wrigley, so today is his first day on the job. I thought that he had a maintenance job, but in fact he is an usher. Great job for him. He's a big Cubs fan. Hopefully, he can watch a bit of the game, while he does his job.

The Cubs play the Colorado Rockies for an afternoon game. Hopefully the game will be played. My radio is on, and the coverage has already started.

Happy Monday Morning, sports fans.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Barbaraann, you and I, I am presuming, are part of a slowly ending era of people actually listening to baseball games on the radio, and learning the game, and forming a bond, with the men behind the microphone.

For me, in SoCal, I grew up with a radio under my pillow, turned too low for my parents to hear (so I think anyway) with Vin Scully telling me the tales of the great Dodger teams of the mid-60's. Later it would be Don Wells, Don Drysdale or Dick Enberg with the Angels.

Baseball suffered another tough blow today with the loss of Philadelphia Phillies legendary broadcaster Harry Kalas. He had the great "pipes" as we say in the radio biz. That deep, resonant baritone so recognizable as the 39-year voice of the Phillies, and later the voice of NFL Films, Campbell's soup commercials, and seemingly a million other things.

If he had to collapse anywhere before dying, the broadcast booth getting ready for a game would seem to be the place. He was able to call the last out of another Phillies world champion last year.

Along with the likes of Harry Caray, Jack Brickhouse, Mel Allen, Jack Buck, Joe Nuxhall and others, another voice from a seemingly bygone era has left us.

I had the chance to meet and interview Harry Kalas a couple of times. He was Class with a capital "C". I will miss him.

Vin Scully, entering his 60th year of broadcasting Dodger games, threw out the first pitch before today's LA home opener.

He said to the crowd...after receiving a lengthy standing ovation...

"I've needed you, a whole lot more than you've needed me".

Vinny, I shall cherish the remaining time we will have to spend together, be it on radio or TV.

And Harry - rest in peace, my friend. We'll miss you a great deal.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

It's nice to be able to sit and listen to the Cubs on the radio again. I can listen to them play the Cardinals today, and read MiceChat at the same time.

Tonite the Blackhawks start their playoffs. I know that my oldest son is excited about this. I also like the fact that the Blackhawks are now on WGN radio. I can't usually concentrate on the televison, and MiceChat at the same time, but the radio is different.

By the way, Fukodome just hit a homerun.

Cubs are leading 4 to 3.

May 11 - 16, 2015

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The game was all down hill after that homerun. The Cubs ended up losing their game 7 to 4. Milton Bradley went from a 3 and 0 pitch to being struck out. He questioned the call, and was ejected from the game. Welcome to Wrigley MB.

May 11 - 16, 2015

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I listened to that Hockey game the other night, where the Blackhawks won in overtime. I don't know anything about questionable calls, or lack of calls, I just know that it was exciting. It's always great to get the first win under your belt.

The Cubs are playing the Cardinals again. The 7th inning stretch singer today was the Bears new quarterback Jay Coutler. He was talking to Ron Santo about his diabetes. He was diagnosed just last year, I believe he said. I never knew, way back when that Santo played with it years ago. It is treated so differently today, not that that makes it any easier to live with it.

I am off to listen to the rest of the ballgame. The game is tied. It appears that it is going into extra innings.

I did some yardwork today, and it appears that I have a sliver in my finger. It doesn't appear that I can prune a rose bush without the bush getting me.

See ya, sports fans.

May 11 - 16, 2015