Page 43 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1833404142434445465368 ... LastLast

• we jumped out a window

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

At least not all of our Anaheim teams are in the doldrums these days. Ducks just went up 2 games to none in their series against San Jose.

Radiobarry and Barbaraann , I actually prefer listening to baseball games on the radio than watching on television. It frees me up to do other things and I like imagining all the action in my mind. With television, you're completely glued to it and you have to wait until a break in the action to go to the restroom or get a snack.

I also find that radio commentators tend to be better than ones on tv. If you turn the tv on during the middle of a game, it seems that unless they flash the score graphics on the screen, you won't really know the score. On radio, however, every so often, they'll tell you "if you're just joining us, the Angels lead the Devil Rays 5 to 3".

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Speaking of radio. I do listen to the hockey games on the radio. It would be nervewracking for me, if I watched these games on television. I would have to have my eyes on the TV, at all times.

I am sure that Calgary is not going to lie down and let the Hawks sweep the series. It should be a great game tonite. My ear will be glued to the radio.

Go Hawks!
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• DL Obsessed

Just noticed this forum. So i thought i'd say Hi!

I am a huge Trail Blazers fan, and am looking forward to continuing this playoff run. Everyone may think "well they lost by 30 in the Rose Garden, they dont have a shot". NONSENSE!

They are a young team, for 12 of our 15 players, this was their FIRST playoff game. They are going to come back tomorrow, adjust, take care of business, then look foward to Houston and look to take one there. Gotta do it, and i truly beleive that we can do it.

Thats my 2 cents.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

.....and your 2 cents is always welcome.

The Blackhawks lost last night. That means that the series will make it's way back to Chicago for sure. It would be nice if the Hawks could win one in Calgary. Why did I know, it wasn't going to be easy?

Now, I'm off to read what the morning paper has to say about the game.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So in 1969, a black cat crossed the path of Ron Santo, and the Cubs went on a losing streak that they still talk about to this day.

The other night there was a calico cat who made his way onto the green grass of Wrigley Field. Calico cats are supposed to be lucky. Much ado, has been made over the treatment of that calico. Security lifted the feline by the tail, and many tails are wagging about cruelty to animals. The Cubs have played a few games since this took place. Lost them all.

I guess we shall see, if this incident becomes just another excuse why the Cubs have not been to the World Series in 100+ years.

Sports in Chicago. It's never boring.

By the Way, Congratulations go out to Derrick Rose, who became Basketball's Rookie of the Year.

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Speaking of radio. I do listen to the hockey games on the radio. It would be nervewracking for me, if I watched these games on television. I would have to have my eyes on the TV, at all times.

I am sure that Calgary is not going to lie down and let the Hawks sweep the series. It should be a great game tonite. My ear will be glued to the radio.

Go Hawks!
    I find hockey to be the most nervewracking sport to watch on tv and during the Ducks' Stanley Cup season a few years back, I noticed they would lose if I watched the games but if I listened on the radio, they would win so guess what I went with the rest of the way.

That's another reason I prefer radio - when I'm listening, I don't think up silly rituals to help my team but when I'm watching, I definitely do. Things like sitting in the same spot, only drinking water during time outs.

I'm not sure if any of you are Sports Illustrated subscribers but I'm having trouble adjusting to the new layout and format this week. It looks and feels a lot like TV Guide.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Blackhawks are now ahead 3 games to 2 over the Calgary Flames. My younger son went to the game last night. The Hawks scored their first three goals very quickly. I just wish the next game was here in Chicago. Doesn't make much sense why they do that much traveling back and forth.

Chicago Cubs are simply horrible at the moment. Blame it on Jim Hendry. Blame it on Lou Piniella, blame it on the fact that they aren't hitting.

Even more embarssing was the way the Bulls played basketball the other day.

Keep the radio on, and perhaps it will get better sports fans.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Cubs finally won one today. I only caught the end of today's game. How is it that they can score 10 today, and other days they come up short? I guess that's baseball for you.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Yesterday was an exciting day in Chicago sports, and only one of our teams won. The Bulls pushed the Celtics to a 7th game by winning in triple overtime. I caught the end of that game, and it was definitely something to watch. You could see just how tired those players were. Win, or lose, the Bulls have given their fans a great show.

How do the Cubs go into extra innings tied 2 to 2, and lose the game not by one run, but by 6? I thought I was seeing things when the score went by on my television screen last night. I had switched the channel to the basketball game when the Cubs went into the 10th. I know it's a long season, but the Cubs are inventing new ways to lose each and every other day lately.

The Hawks made the game exciting in the third period of the game last night. However, they couldn't keep up with the Canucks, who outscored them 5 to 3. That game had me on the edge of my seat. Glad it's the first in a series. We shall see if the Hawks can improve on their momentum in game two.

Friday, it's an off day for the Hawks, and the Bulls. Our baseball teams are playing today. I just wish the basketball, and hockey games didn't overlap in the time department tomorrow.

It's definitely not boring, in a good way sports fans.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Listening to the Blackhawks was exciting last night. It was thrilling how they scored 5 goals, and then won the game 6 to 3.

Shortley before that, the Bulls had lost their playoff game. They were behind that entire game. So many shots that they were making in the last period were just terrible, and had no chance of going in. It was fun while it lasted.

The Cubs are playing better. Derek Lee hit a grand slam home run today. Carlos Zambrano left the game with a hamstring injury. The highlight at Wrigley today was the retiring of Fergueson Jenkins number along with Greg Maddux. It was cool the way they raised two flags, both with 31 on opposite foul poles. Many teammates of these two players were on hand to help with the ceremony, and celebrate.

I didn't pick a horse in the Kentucky Derby yesterday. In fact, I forgot to watch. I did catch it on replay, and that horse I understand was a long shot.

Back to the game, sports fans.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah, Mine That Bird was the 50-1 shot at the Derby. The 2nd biggest upset in Derby history. It's funny how the race itself is like 2 minutes but the broadcast was like 3 or 4 hours.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Yeah, Mine That Bird was the 50-1 shot at the Derby. The 2nd biggest upset in Derby history. It's funny how the race itself is like 2 minutes but the broadcast was like 3 or 4 hours.
    Yes, I told my husband that same thing. I was very busy on Saturday, so I didn't watch like I usually do.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I was rooting for "Chocolate Candy". I thought it ironic that one of that particular horse's owners is none other than....Jenny Craig.

I think CC finished somewhere behind Valerie Bertinelli and Kirstie Alley at the rear of the field.

There's a learning curve for winning in the basketball playoffs, unlike any other sport almost. The Bulls with Derek Rose are definitely on the right track. It took Michael a few cracks at the Pistons before they finally broke through.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• we jumped out a window

Ducks win 2-1 to take a 2-1 series lead!

I didn't watch, I didn't listen on the radio but I had the computer on a live score update. Now because the Ducks won, I'll have to do this for every game in the playoffs from here on out.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We all have our little superstitions when it comes to sports. Always sit in the same chair. ALways snack on the same foods. Don't forget to wear the team gear. Musn't upset the applecart. Or upset the sports gods.

Blackhawks lost last night. Bobby Hull dropped the opening puck, and the team just couldn't get it done. Canuck fans, I am sure would say, the better team won last night.

Chicago Cubs were miserable again. I admit to not really paying much attention to the other baseball team in town.

This sports fan has been busy doing other things, so the radio broadcasts are my only update this morning. My newspaper is still on the porch.

Have a great playoff, for those hockey fans, who still have a team in the mix.