Page 46 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2136434445464748495671 ... LastLast

• Hakuna Matata!

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

I love it!! Nothing better than a day at the track.. smelling the fuel.. hearing the engines squeel by.... ahhh!!!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Hello sports fans!

Basketball fans between Southern California and Central Florida now have the next five days to preview, break down and otherwise dissect the series between the presumed favorite Lakers, and the surprise guest Orlando Magic.

Then, thanks to the great gods of Disney/ABC-TV, the series will finally be allowed to commence Thursday night.

What's sillier than such a long wait?

Hockey, with NBC dictating that the first two games of the Stanley Cup Finals be played on back-to-back nights.

Baseball's World Series, which this year doesn't start until November 1st.

On another topic...I've heard it said more than once that by and large, baseball fans care a lot less about steroids than the baseball media does. I care a great deal, but while I've been a fan most all of my life, I've also been a part of media too.

Your thoughts are welcome.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I personally think that too many people in today's society put too many pills into their mouth. They want to medicate themselves for everything. It's bad enough, when you have real health issues, and you have to take some serious medication, but do you really think that a pill is the answer to everything in life that is wrong in your life?

The real heroes, are the athletes that deal with things without running to the doctors for every ache and pain.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Derrick Rose, Bulls basketball player has been accused of cheating. Back when he was trying to get into college, the allegation is that someone changed one of his grades from a D to a C. He is also accused of letting someone else take his SAT test.

What is Rose saying about these allegations? At the moment, nothing. He has hired an attorney, and he is letting that attorney speak for him. Some people feel he owes his fans an explanation. The truth will come out eventually, it almost always does in the end.

So is Rose one of those people who listens to others advice, even if it isn't quite the best, in order to get ahead? Is this just another case, of I will do whatever I want, and hope that I don't get caught? If he is innocent of all these charges, then speak out. You are an adult now. Or is it in your best interest to keep quiet?

Sports, here in Chicago, just isn't very pretty at the moment.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I admit that I haven't watched many baseball games lately. There's not too much to get excited about on either side of town, as far as our two baseball teams are concerned. I am surprised that the Cubs are actually playing 500 baseball. However, there are 3 teams ahead of them in their division. Tonite, they face off against one of them. The Cincinatti Reds.

My grandson was invited to a ballgame next week at Sox park. He's rather go to Great America. Can't blame him. Although, I do like seeing night games at that ballpark, at least the sight lines are good. Cubs park is another story. I guess, I'll stop being negative. Maybe the Cubs will win, tonite. I guess, it's a 50/50 chance.

Sun Times Columnist Rick Telander says the city of Chicago doesn't deserve the 2016 Olympics. We are too corrupt. Daley has his heart set on it, and it seems he will do everything to make it happen. I believe that is Mr. Telander's point.

I think I need to lighten up. Sport is suppose to be fun after all.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The Angels won again tonight to improve to three games over 500. altogether not that bad for what they had to deal with. on and off the field, in the first part of the season.

The Angels and Cubs will be there when it counts. And I think that both will have more of a struggle to get a playoff spot, but will both last beyond the first week of the postseason this time.

My prediction.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have already concluded that the Chicago Cubs are going nowhere this year. They don't have the team that they had last year. Last year's team was predicted to win it all, and what did they win? Nothing.

It is sad that Zambrano has a bad temper. He takes out his anger on the closest person, or object. The Gatorade machine has since been removed from the Cubs clubhouse. I guess the team players are now drinking water.

It is also sad that Ryan Dempster is dealing with an infant daughter's illness. How can he pitch, and not worry about his child in the hospital with the rare disorder called DiGeorge Syndrome. Her entire 2 month's of life has been spent in hospitals. How can he pitch, indeed? How can he not hit that same Gatorade machine?

I see that the Red Wings are now leading the Penguins 3 games to 2. Hockey season is a long one. We got a warm weather sport, and what I figure is a cold weather sport all at the same time.

The Blackhawks had a huge thank you spread published in the Chicago Tribune the other day. They thanked the fans for all their support. It's nice to be appreciated.

Enjoy your Sunday sports fans.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Listening to the manager of the Cubs after the game today, I wonder if he even cares. The Cubs played terrible again today against the home crowd at Wrigley Field. Lou is either so frustrated, or he just doesn't know what to do anymore.

Bottom line Cubs can't hit. That was their problem last year in the playoffs, and if this continues (and don't tell me it's early) they won't get anywhere near the post season.

101 and counting.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am so happy to have my computer back. I was minus it, for about a week. In that time, I listened to a lot of baseball. The Cubs managed to win a few games, and Derrek Lee is actually on a bit of a hitting streak. Lou Piniella will never take Soriano out of the leadoff spot, and he seems to be O.K. with the Cubs present status. They are playing 500 baseball after all.

My newspaper today was quite interesting. Yesterday was the 25th Anniversary of a famous Cubs Cardinals game that has been dubbed the "Sandburg Game". Ryno hit 2, game tying, home runs off Bruce Sutter that day. Ryne Sandburg has made the Hall Of Fame, and so of course he was asked about Sammy Sosa. Sandburg graciously replies, he doesn't think so. Neither do I, neither do I.

The White Sox played the Dodgers yesterday, and manager Ozzie Guillen got thrown out of the game. The Dodgers/Sox matchup reminded me of the 1959 World Series. I remember how excited my brother was when the Sox made it to the World Series. Back then there were no playoffs. If you ended up with the best record in your League, you made it to the big game.

I also remember how upset my brother was when the Sox lost.

Enjoy your day, sports fans.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Fans of the Chicago Cubs are talking about the Mark DeRosa trade instead of talking about the team. DeRosa will now be expected to do for the Cardinals what he did for the Cubs last season. Mark can play almost anywhere on the field, and why the Cubs traded him is still a mystery to most fans here in Chicago.

It just puts another nail in the coffin for the Cubs.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Fans of the Chicago Cubs are talking about the Mark DeRosa trade instead of talking about the team. DeRosa will now be expected to do for the Cardinals what he did for the Cubs last season. Mark can play almost anywhere on the field, and why the Cubs traded him is still a mystery to most fans here in Chicago.
    Of all their personnel moves, that was certainly the one that had me the most baffled.

That, and bringing Bradley on board. I'd seen his act up close before, when he used to play for the Dodgers. Some talent, yes, but a "cancer" on the team.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have always been a big fan of Lou Gehrig. I think mostly it's because I watched the movie about his life, Pride of the Yankees, every time it was on television, from way back when I was a kid. I bought the movie on VHS, and I still pop it in my VCR from time to time.

Lou Gehrig was a great baseball player, who had the consecutive games played streak, until that was recently broken by the new Iron Man Cal Ripken. Lou Gehrig was called the Iron Man because of that streak, so when he became ill, it appeared that his talent for the game had disappeared.

Lou Gehrig was diagnosed with ALS. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Some people at the time thought that was like polio, and that he would live a long time, and just not be able to play baseball. I remember the scene in the movie. It was heartbreaking. His wife knew that he was dying. I think, Lou knew too.

I remember the scene, where the Yankees honored him. He told them how he might have been given a bad break, but that he was the luckiest man in the world. That speech was given back on July 4, 1939. Today, that speech will be replayed in 15 different Major League ballparks, during the seventh inning stretch.

Lou Gehrig spent his time, after baseball working as a parole officer for juveniles. He never had any children of his own.

35 years old, is way too young to die.

Happy Birthday America.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Cubs turned the table on the Milwaukee Brewers today. They got slaughtered by them yesterday, and today they won 8 to 2. Ted Lilly got the win. Ted Lilly got named to the National League All Star team today. Derrek Lee is hitting super lately.

It's nice to see that they still have some life in them.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I spoke too soon.

I didn't watch the Cubs today, because I was painting my back stairs. The Cubs lost badly to the Cardinals. When I turned on the radio, all I heard was excuses from the players. The Cubs catcher, Soto, was put on the DL today.

Some fans don't really care if the Cubs win or lose. Let's go to Wrigley, sit in the sun, have a few cold ones, and "does anyone know the score"?

Perhaps when the team sale finally gets done, things will change. The again, "next year never seems to get here for the Cubs".

The team on the other side of town is playing later tonite. I enjoy listening to Steve Stone doing the broadcasts. Ken Harrelson on the other hand, in my opinion talks a different language. Not quite sure what he says, half the time.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Now that the All Star game is over the Cubs need to get busy and win some games. Yesterday they played the Washington Nationals in our nation's capital. It was fun hearing ex Cub, Keith Moreland calling the game with Pat Hughes. I didn't catch why Ron Santo wasn't there, but sometimes he doesn't make the journey, due to health concerns associated with his diabetes.

I understand that Lou Piniella, and his family met the President. To quote Lou. "I couldn't have come away more impressed with this gentleman. He was very personable with my grandkids, and my wife and children, and I was very appreciative." Piniella said that he spoke about 5 minutes with the President, and baseball wasn't mentioned. He was very thankful for the experience of being in the White House, and getting to speak to the president.

While the Cubs were defeating the Washington National last night, there was a concert in the friendly confines known as Wrigley Field. Elton John and Billy Joel performed for the crowd.

The Blackhawks have shaken up both management and team with the hopes of winning the Stanley Cup. Win at all costs, is the message. Some think loyalty should be in there someplace. Some think loyalty doesn't always get it done.