Page 47 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2237444546474849505772 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 705 of 1260
  1. #691

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    While the Cubs were defeating the Washington National last night, there was a concert in the friendly confines known as Wrigley Field. Elton John and Billy Joel performed for the crowd.
    I would have loved to have seen that show, at Wrigley. That must have been a treat.

    I remember when Elton played at Dodger Stadium at the height of his first wave of popularity in the mid-70's. He came out wearing his trademark huge glasses, and a sequined Dodgers jacket.

    Speaking of the Blackhawks, you may recall that the NHL played a game last January 1st at Wrigley Field.

    Next New Year's Day, the Boston Bruins will host a game at Fenway Park. Another of baseball's legendary old stadiums, hosting a hockey game.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  2. #692

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    55,262
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    My grandson and his mom stopped by today and took me out to lunch. They are going to a Def Leopard concert tonite. I hope I spelled that right. Kathy also won two Cubs tickets the other day. Great seats 3rd row from the field. What did she do? She sold them. She's a Sox fan.


    May 11 - 16, 2015

  3. #693

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    My grandson and his mom stopped by today and took me out to lunch. They are going to a Def Leopard concert tonite. I hope I spelled that right. Kathy also won two Cubs tickets the other day. Great seats 3rd row from the field. What did she do? She sold them. She's a Sox fan.
    Question. Does the old Chicago Stadium still exist? Where the Bulls and Blackhawks used to play? I know that the United Center has been around for a number of years, and I'm sure a number of the larger concerts play at the arena in Rosemont.

    I just remember watching a lot of games on TV from that old barn - and it sure looked like an interesting place.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  4. #694

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    55,262
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Question. Does the old Chicago Stadium still exist? Where the Bulls and Blackhawks used to play? I know that the United Center has been around for a number of years, and I'm sure a number of the larger concerts play at the arena in Rosemont.

    I just remember watching a lot of games on TV from that old barn - and it sure looked like an interesting place.

    BULLS: Chicago Stadium History

    No, it was demolished in 1995.


    May 11 - 16, 2015

  5. #695

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    BULLS: Chicago Stadium History

    No, it was demolished in 1995.
    Did you ever go to any games there?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  6. #696

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    55,262
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    Most of the times when my husband would get hockey tickets, he would take the kids. Since we were at the mercy of public transportation, because my husband didn't drive back then I stayed home. I did go once, and the noise was deafening. It was exciting.

    Last night the Blackhawks began their fan convention. John McDonough was booed due to his recent firing of Dale Tallon. I guess if they win the Stanley Cup, those boo's will turn into cheers.

    The Cubs won another game in Washington last night. I turned on the television about the end of the game. The fans were standing, and for a moment it appeared the game was at Wrigley Field, due to all the Cubs fans in attendance.

    Enjoy your Saturday Sports fans.


    May 11 - 16, 2015

  7. #697

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    55,262
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    I guess when that ball was hit in the last inning of yesterday's White Sox game, lots of fans thought that the ball was gone. Then, the ball was grabbed, by substitute outfielder Dewayne Wise. It made Ozzie Guillen look like a genius. It made Mark Buerhle one out away from a perfect game. The next batter grounded out, and Hawk Harrelson could be heard all the way to Wrigley Field on the North Side.

    I am enjoying the newspaper this morning. It's not too often that a sports moment makes the front and the back pages of my paper. Surely there were the championships of the Bulls, Sox, and Bears. Perfect games are so rare. In all of the years, that baseball has been played, less than 20 pitchers have accomplished this. Mark Buerhle is #18.

    Only 5 pitchers have perfect games, and also have no hit games. Mark Buerhle joins that elite club. He is a hero in Chicago today. Even Cubs fans are talking about this. Mark Buerhle is obviously a good pitcher, but the nice thing is that he is also a nice guy. His baby daughter may not remember this, but she was there with Mark's wife, Jamie, and the moment where he kissed them on the field made me weepy.

    Enjoy the moment, baseball fans.

  8. #698

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    112

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    I, am a sports fan. Sadly, the Orioles and Diamondbacks are having bad years again....sucks i know. BUT...the upside is this.....preseason in the NFL is only a couple weeks away.

  9. #699

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    55,262
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    I am looking forward to football season this year, now that the Bears have a new quarterback.

  10. #700

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    112

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    Cutler? Meh, he doesnt really have the tools on offense to compete with Minnesota and Green Bay. He shoulda just stayed in Denver, bit his tongue, and played for the new coach.

  11. #701

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    55,262
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    Yes, but he's better than what we had.

  12. #702

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I guess when that ball was hit in the last inning of yesterday's White Sox game, lots of fans thought that the ball was gone. Then, the ball was grabbed, by substitute outfielder Dewayne Wise. It made Ozzie Guillen look like a genius. It made Mark Buerhle one out away from a perfect game. The next batter grounded out, and Hawk Harrelson could be heard all the way to Wrigley Field on the North Side.

    I am enjoying the newspaper this morning. It's not too often that a sports moment makes the front and the back pages of my paper. Surely there were the championships of the Bulls, Sox, and Bears. Perfect games are so rare. In all of the years, that baseball has been played, less than 20 pitchers have accomplished this. Mark Buerhle is #18.

    Only 5 pitchers have perfect games, and also have no hit games. Mark Buerhle joins that elite club. He is a hero in Chicago today. Even Cubs fans are talking about this. Mark Buerhle is obviously a good pitcher, but the nice thing is that he is also a nice guy. His baby daughter may not remember this, but she was there with Mark's wife, Jamie, and the moment where he kissed them on the field made me weepy.

    Enjoy the moment, baseball fans.
    One of the others in that club is a Dodgers great pitcher named Sandy Koufax. He had a perfecto and three other no-hitters.

    The date was September 9, 1965.

    This was my second year of following baseball, and my first pennant race...the Dodgers eventually won the World Series that year.

    I was never without a radio during Vin Scully's broadcasts. Wherever my parents might go visiting, they knew if I had a room and my radio for the game, they had a happy 9-year old.

    For some reason, that night, for maybe the only night of the season, I was not allowed to bring my radio.

    That is the night that Koufax tossed his perfect game against the visiting Chicago Cubs.

    The Dodgers themselves had only one hit, and that had nothing to do with how they scored their only run off Bob Hendley to win the game, 1-0.

    And I missed it. Arrrgh, to this day.

    Congratulations again to Mark Buehrle and White Sox fans. 27 up, 27 down. Quite an accomplishment, indeed.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  13. #703

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    112

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Yes, but he's better than what we had.
    Better then Grossman, yeah. Orton is at least a somewhat talented QB.

  14. #704

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    55,262
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    This sports fan, has not had sports on her mind lately. I have been cleaning out my attic. It really needed it. When a person lives in a house for over 20 years they acquire a lot of stuff. My kids toys. My grandson's toys. Books. Way too many books. Most of those are my husband's.

    I have always thought that the attic would get cleaned out by my boys. Not by me. I could hear then saying "why did they keep all this stuff"? Well when I get done, they won't have to sort out the attic debri.

    I figure, maybe the less that I watch these Chicago teams, the better they will do. Then, when September rolls around, and my vacations are behind me, I can catch up, and pay attention.

    My daily paper still hasn't been unfolded. A sad commentary about my supposed fandom.

    Then again, when all is said and done, my attic will look wonderful.

    So who's playing today?


    May 11 - 16, 2015

  15. #705

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    This sports fan, has not had sports on her mind lately. I have been cleaning out my attic. It really needed it. When a person lives in a house for over 20 years they acquire a lot of stuff. My kids toys. My grandson's toys. Books. Way too many books. Most of those are my husband's.

    I have always thought that the attic would get cleaned out by my boys. Not by me. I could hear then saying "why did they keep all this stuff"? Well when I get done, they won't have to sort out the attic debri.

    I figure, maybe the less that I watch these Chicago teams, the better they will do. Then, when September rolls around, and my vacations are behind me, I can catch up, and pay attention.

    My daily paper still hasn't been unfolded. A sad commentary about my supposed fandom.

    Then again, when all is said and done, my attic will look wonderful.

    So who's playing today?
    Well, for one thing the White Sox are playing the Angels on the South Side and putting a cramp in their style. The Sox beat em in the 9th last night and right now the Sox are ahead 6-2 in the 9th...the Angels are still in first place but things had been really rolling before they hit Chicago.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Similar Threads

  1. Most Annoying Sports Fans
    By sir clinksalot in forum Sports Zone
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
  2. America's Worst Cities for Sports Fans
    By sir clinksalot in forum Sports Zone
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 07:39 PM
  3. Other sports
    By mouseinphilly in forum Sports Zone
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2007, 08:42 PM
  4. Sports Fans
    By Djmutto in forum Lost Boys
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 07:49 PM
  5. Kids Sports Clubs/Sports Prices
    By dsnylndmom in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-13-2006, 06:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •