Page 57 of 82 FirstFirst ... 732475455565758596067 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

My older son stopped by yesterday for a Father's Day BBQ with his dad and his son. We spent the afternoon talking Blackhawks hockey, and watching the Cubs finally winning against the Angels. It was nice. I am sure that scenario was duplicated in many Chicago homes yesterday.

The quote of the day was however, "What have I got to look forward to now that hockey season is over?'

Even though the Cubs won yesterday, they are having a horrible season. Not much is going on on the field. There isn't even a super star, a baseball record, or a Cubs moment coming up to get excited about.

I was surprised at what my son was saying. I expected him to call me a fair weather fan, instead he was saying what I was thinking. He also said, that you would have thought that some time in the last 100 years you would have though the Cubs would have won a World Series, if just by odds, or even a fluke.

So what are we to do now that the the Blackhawks are done playing hockey?

Count down the days until Piniella is gone.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The Angels took two out of three in that series, even though if they had to lose a game 12-1 I would have just as soon it be Friday or Saturday, and not on my birthday.

The Dodgers got swept at Fenway Park, and it just reinforces my thought that the AL East, with the Yanks, Sawx and Rays, is just in a class by itself.
    The local teams in my area, both the Dodgers and my beloved Angels, seem to be just okay, each with big holes to fill. Unless they make some good moves by the trade deadline...each might be good enough to win their respective divisions, but I can't see either going far in the playoffs.

Oh by the way, the Dodgers visit the Angels in Anaheim beginning tomorrow. The Angels swept their series in LA earlier this month. GO ANGELS!!!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Duncan Keith finally has a nice new smile. He also has another brand new trophy to add to his collection. Keith was awarded the Norris Trophy on Wednesday. That trophy is awarded to the NHL's best defensive player. He is the fourth Blackhawk to ever win the award. Keith is the first player to win an Olympic Gold medal, a Stanley Cup, and the Norris Trophy all in the same year.

Nice smile Duncan.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 06-24-2010 at 04:02 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Sometimes I get too involved with other things and I forget to pick up my newspaper to read it. I haven't watched many ballgames this year either. So it's past 4 in the afternoon, and I finally got around to reading my sports section.

The Cubs are not doing any better than the last time I checked, but the White Sox are way better than I thought they were. Either that, or their win/lost record is a fluke.

The sad news in the paper is the unexpected death of ex-Blackhawk Bob Probert. He passed away on Monday after developing chest pains while on a family outing. 45 is way too young to die. Probert played for the Red Wings from 1985 to 1994, and then the Blackhawks from 1995-2002. He had 163 goals during his NHL career, and 221 assists. He played in 935 Hockey games. He also spent 3,300 minutes in the penalty box.

I must remember that the Angels are playing the White Sox tonite. Hopefully I can stand the call by Hawk Harrelson for one night.

Just an average sports fan in Chicago, that's me.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It's no fluke about the White Sox. They've been playing very well of late, and Ozzie and his GM have apparently put the knives away.

As for the Cubs, they have seemingly fallen apart at the seams. The Cubs are in Los Angeles for the final four games before the All-Star game. By rule, at least one must stay behind to go to Anaheim for the All-Star game Tuesday.

Wish I could be there for the home run derby and the game itself. Can't make those, but I will be in Anaheim on Friday, If there is a way to do it. I'd love to see one of the World of Color shows, but Im not sure how that could work. Sounds like there will be enough at the Convention Center to keep me busy from 11AM to 9PM!

PS...So sorry to hear about Probert. He was a heck of a player.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I can't believe it's been almost a month since I thought to come in here and post some of my thoughts about Chicago sports. I guess my life is pretty hectic now so sports have been taking a back seat to everything else.

The Blackhawks held their annual fan convention over the weekend, and the Stanley Cup was there for "drooling over". My son has one desire, and that is to see the cup "up close and personal". I'm content to know Chicago went after it, and snatched it for themselves.

So I have been cleaning up around my place, and I am surprised at all the sports stuff that I still have from my kids. Old football helmets, hockey sticks, baseball bats, batting helmets (decorative more than those actually worn), and lots and lots of old baseballs and deflated footballs. I guess if I had had girls it would have been another sort of pile. Barbie dolls and tap shoes, rather that trucks and locker room smell.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Meantime, the Blackhawks keep trading off their team...they traded their goaltender today...what's up with that?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I don't understand all the financial decisions that the Blackhawks are making at the moment. I do know that that is the reasoning behind what is happening now.

The bloom is still on the rose.

• Calls WDW "Home".

To be accurate, the Hawks didn't trade their goalie. They refused an arbitration award of 2.75 mil for one year and decided to let Niemi become a free agent. They also signed Marty Turco, who had similar statistics with a bad Dallas team, to a very cap friendly 1.3 mil contract. This allowed them to have some much needed salary cap space. The other deals were made for this exact reason also. The bonus' to Toews and Kane for their playoff accomplishments added $4 million to this years cap, which made this necessary. The prior General Manager made some questionable signings for too much money, which is being dealt with now.

This is still a very good team, though. It is just lacking a lot of the depth that keyed the cup victory. They are now looking for the kids in the system to come through.

And to answer your question about what to do since the Hockey season is over, go 8 miles south and watch winning baseball from the Chicago White Sox. A first place team with a series coming up with the team that is right on their tails.

As for your comment about Hawk, to each their own. I love the way he calls a game. He adds some personality to it, which is lacking on the north side.
    2010 Stanley Cup Champions!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Chicago Cubs baseball has been blah for so long now that I have given up on watching or listening to them. I do enjoy the Sox, when I remember to turn on the television and watch a game. Actually now that Steve Stone has joined Hawk Harrelson, it is easier not to turn the channel.

Chicago Hockey is still a whole lot better than it was a few short years ago. Great Teams are made up a variety of ways, and it isn't always the one with the highest paid players that wins the Cup. I will savor the recent Stanley Cup victory for a long time. I am not greedy. As long as the team plays hard. I like the way this present team setup, from owners, to management, right on down to the players seem to care about the Chicago Blackhawk fans.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

So the question about the Cubs has to be, where do they go next? The Lou Piniella era will clearly be over soon.

They had a couple of pretty good teams under him. Their best shot was in '08, but timing is everything and they caught a hot Dodger team in the first round and it was all over in three games.

They made a horrible mistake, ignoring his history with other clubs and signing Milton Bradley. Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Zambrano have also proved poisonous.

Would Joe Girardi leave the Yankees, for the challenge of managing the team
    he once played for? There's a ton of pressure managing in New York, and I'm not sure what it's like now that the Boss has gone and his sons have taken over....

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Most Cubs fans are hoping for Ryne Sandburg to get the job as the next Cubs Manager.

I am watching the Bears game here as I catch up on my MiceChatting. I'm not really ready for football yet. Hopefully the Bears will be more exciting than the other (bears) that play in our town.

Scottie Pippen. His stats are impressive. Good to see him get recognized for his great basketball career.

Patrick Kane celebrated with The Cup in his hometown of Buffalo New York. His smile on the sportspage in my Chicago SunTimes tells the story of just how happy he is to be a Hawk.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I was watching Leave It To Beaver. Ward had a baseball loaded with Yankee great autographs. Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, etc: etc; Ward showed the baseball to both Beaver, and Wally. It meant nothing to them. Fast forward to a visit from Larry Mondello. (Why does Beaver always listen to his friends, when he knows deep down inside he shouldn't?) Larry and Beaver decide to play catch with the ball, and one thing leads to another, and the ball gets run over by a passing car.

Of course, the kids try and fix the mangled ball. Ward finally discovers his prize possession, and Beaver gets punished big time.

Now I felt so sorry for Ward in this episode. Beaver took something that meant a lot to his father, and it ended up virtually being destroyed.

There was a point in time in the episode where Ward was going to ease up on his punishment. However, Wally stopped him. "Dad's should not be pushovers" says Wally.

Watching this episode was painful in parts. I could see where it was headed from the beginning. Sports memorabilia is one of those things that people cherish. Ward's baseball meant a lot to him because it represented to him a special time that he shared with his own father. I could see the pain in his eyes when the item that represented that time was now different.

Ward eventually realized that the ball is just a thing. The memory of that time with his father, could not be taken away.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Lou Piniella retired today. I wish him well. He couldn't get the Cubs into the World Series. Then again, no manager has done that since the 1940's. He was very emotional after the game today, but I am sure he is also very relieved.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I guess I need to get in the swing of things now that football season has official started.

I presently have a cold, and I have been wanting to take a ride down to Wrigley Field, so I can get pictures of the new Billy Williams statue. My camers, batteries, and memory card are all ready. My body just needs to get it's act together.

Now where's my sports page, so I can see who the Bears play for their first game.

Oh yes, and while I'm at it. Now that Kerry Wood is a Yankee, I am rooting for him to pitch in a World Series.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 09-10-2010 at 06:24 PM.