Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 11515859606162636471 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

Many of the fans of my favorite baseball team, are restless. The Angels missed out on all the bigtime free agents they said they wanted to get this winter. Again, it looks like the Big, Bad Yankees and the now almost as Big, Bad Red Sox are again going to be the talk of the coming season in the American League.

And even in the Angels own division, the other teams have improved themselves.

But again, in 2001 the Angels finished 41 games out of first place.

And in 2002, they started the season 6-14. They wound up with 99 wins, but didn't win the division. But with a team really devoid of big name stars, thwy wound up winning a World Series title. So, you gotta cling to the hope.

Yep, hello sports fans - here I am, two days before football championship Sunday - talkin' baseball.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I am excited. The Chicago Cubs have hired, ex Cubs baseball player Keith Moreland to replace Ron Santo in the radio broadcast booth with Pat Hughes. I have heard Keith Moreland call the game, and I enjoyed listening to him.

I am watching Chicago Tribune Live on channel 37 in Chicago, and most evenings its as good as reading my morning newspaper. I do like the job that David Kaplan does on the broadcast each weeknight.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Last night Dave Duerson was found dead unexpectedly in his home. He was only 50 years old. Dave played for the Super Bowl winning Bears back in 1985. I was very surprised, and saddened by this news.

My dad always said that when our time comes, our time comes. Sometimes it seems to come way too soon for some. People look healthy, and yet something unexpectedly takes their life. My brother said, live each day like it might be your last, because we aren't guaranteed our tomorrows.

Sad day for Bears fans.

Pop Century Resort

Go Modesto Nuts! It's our year baby.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I didn't have a clue who the Modest Nuts were, so I headed off to google this morning to find out. Baseball farm team of the Colorado Rockies. I hope I got that right.

A unique name like that just reminded me of Slippery Rock College in Pennsylvania. There was a local broadcaster in Chicago, who used to broadcast the scores of Slippery Rock on his weekday morning program. Ray Rayner I believe attended Slippery Rock College.

Sports is a passion, and we develop attachments to certain teams who just get into our hearts one way or another.

Chicago sports are looking up. The Bulls are getting better, and the Hawks are better of late. Baseball season is just around the corner. Speaking of that, I like the combo of Keith Moreland, and Pat Hughes on the Radio for the Cubs. I can now turn on my radio in the afternoon, and listen to spring training games.

Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Last night Dave Duerson was found dead unexpectedly in his home. He was only 50 years old. Dave played for the Super Bowl winning Bears back in 1985. I was very surprised, and saddened by this news.

My dad always said that when our time comes, our time comes. Sometimes it seems to come way too soon for some. People look healthy, and yet something unexpectedly takes their life. My brother said, live each day like it might be your last, because we aren't guaranteed our tomorrows.

Sad day for Bears fans.
    We root root root for the gladiators, often times without thinking what price they pay to entertain us. And they don't usually think much about it either, figuring they are young and indestructible.

Until something like this happens. Here's hoping that his death leads to greater safety measures to protect those entertaining gladiators.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I am one of those rare people who still gets the newspaper delivered to her front door each and every day of the week. I have been getting really bad about reading that newspaper lately, and that's not really too smart, since it is costing me. Not really too much, but it seems more when I pay the bill twice a year, rather than each time that I pick up the paper.

I am excited about the way that the Bulls are playing of late. I guess I am a "fair weather fan" when it comes to that team. It does make me feel good though when I read in my sports section about how Derrick Rose would rather win the game, than hear chants of MVP.

The Blackhawks are winning, of late, and that's always fun to watch. Stanley Cup hope again is of course being a little too optimistic, but I won't tell the players that, just yet. Hockey has become popular again in Chicago, and that's fun to hear, see, and feel.

Baseball opening day is soon, and it's nice to see the changes. Whether or not they are positive remains to be seen of course, but I think I'll care a whole lot more this year than last.

Enjoy your Monday Sports fans. The Cubs, the Sox, and the Bulls all play on my Monday.

Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Rose is a fun player to watch. This is easily the best Bulls team since Jordan left. Having said that, and remember I am not a Lakers fan...if they can keep up the way they played in San Antonio yesterday down the stretch and into the playoffs, they are still the class of the NBA. Period.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I never liked Jordan personally. Granted he helped the Bulls win all those championships, but he was too arrogant, among other things for my liking. Of course that's ancient history, and it's good seeing the Bulls doing good things for Chicago.

Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I never liked Jordan personally. Granted he helped the Bulls win all those championships, but he was too arrogant, among other things for my liking. Of course that's ancient history, and it's good seeing the Bulls doing good things for Chicago.
    How did you feel abut Phil Jackson, who is now on the precipice of repeating in LA what he did in Chicago, in other words two three-peats?

He's always come across to me as rather arrogant as well.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Phil Jackson never bugged me when he was coaching the Bulls. He got the job done. I remember how aggravated Michael always made me after they interviewed him. I don't remember feeling the same aggravation about the coach. Of course that was a long time ago now.

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Speaking of Phil Jackson. There was a nice picture of him on the back of my SunTimes this morning, along with a nice article inside. The Bulls were lucky to have had him as their coach all those years. I'm sure the Lakers agree with the lucky part as well. Jackson says he was the lucky one since he coached a lot of great talent. In fact a lot of people think that anyone could have coached those teams to championships considering the players at the time. Sports fans love to argue that point a lot.

Ron Santo has been gone since December, but it is now that the fans really start missing him. Spring training is in session, and Santo's absence is really felt. It just doesn't seem the same without #10. Opening Day is just around the corner, and although Keith Moreland is doing a fine job, Santo is obviously in everyone's thoughts, as it should be.

The Stanley Cup is going to the White House. One last hurrah before the season winds down to the NHL playoffs. It was nice while it lasted, but it will soon be over. I'm sure the players at the White House ceremonies will remember this day as one of the best.

Enjoy your Friday sports fans.

Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I am not the biggest college basketball fan in the world, but I love the NCAA Tournament.

What a couple of weeks of basketball we have seen. My favorite team is UCLA. Aside from their games, I always root for the lower seeds, and the upsets. And this year, wow.

In the Final Four, no seed higher than a three...and in VCU-Butler, an 11 versus an 8...guaranteeing that one of those will be in the title game.

ESPN.com runs a bracket contest...and out of 30 million or so entries, I heard, two - count them, two people had this final four.

And I'm sure that those people were using eenie-meenine-minie-moh, or pin the tail on the donkey.

Should be a fun Final Four.

And hi, sports fans.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Good to see you posting Barry, and I'm sure you're looking forward to Opening Day, since I know for a fact that baseball is your favorite sport. Of course, I'm not sure how I feel about Opening Day being at Wrigley Field on April Fool's Day this year. Does that apostrophe belong there?

The Sox don't look too bad, and of course Cubs fans are more optimistic than they should be. However, most Chicago sports fans are on the edge of their seats wondering if last season's Stanley Cup Champion Blackhawks are even going to make the playoffs this year. But the biggest joy in Chicago is the play of Derrick Rose and the Bulls. I hope I spelled his name right.

Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I guess I've been living in a cave, or just plain haven't been paying attention. Perhaps it's a result of new ownership of the Cubs. However, today I googled the Cubs website, and looked at the seating and ticket price chart. I was quite stunned by what I saw. How in the world did baseball prices ever get to be so outrageous? I guess they must be fetching those prices from the fans, or how else does Wrigley Field continue to sell out each and every home game?

.....and the team hasn't been to the World Series in over 100 years.

Doesn't compute.

Pop Century Resort