Page 62 of 74 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263646572 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

Both the Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks made the Stanley Cup playoffs this year. First time since the Ducks entered the NHL in 1993, that this happened.

I heard in some circles that hockey fever was breaking out in Southern California.

Both teams eliminated, in six games, in the first round.

Fever, it is save to say, quelled now.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I stayed up late, last night, to watch the Blackhawks play a 7th game in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The game was not high scoring. The Canucks scored early, and the game went down to almost the end, with the Canucks ahead 1 to 0. Then Toews scored a goal, and the game when into the 2nd overtime of the series. I had a bad feeling, as I sat on the edge of my chair. I was right, as Vancouver scored, and ended the Blackhawks playoff's hopes.

My knee jerk reaction was to turn off my TV set. I didn't want to watch the other team celebrate. I didn't want to see my team's players skate off the ice in disappointment. They say "it ain't over til it's over". Well "it's over now".

The night wasn't a total loss as the Chicago Bulls beat the Indiana Pacers to advance to the 2nd round of their playoffs. Derrick Rose is playing hurt, and played well. I'm not sure how far the Bulls will go. Not sure how deep this team really is. It isn't really good to pin the hopes of a team, on the back of just one member.

In the meantime, hockey is over for this fan, and I guess I'm watching more basketball. Speaking of, I wonder how many people watch an entire basketball game at home, and how many just tune in to watch the last 5 minutes?

Enjoy your sports day. Mine is rainy again.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I really don't like the Miami Heat. I never cared for them before, and I really don't now after the way LeBron James handled his "decision". He is free to play anywhere he wants, of course. But I don't have to like the arrogance of an hour-long TV special, and an introduction that looked like something out of the WWE.

So I am rooting for someone to knock them off in the NBA playoffs. As of now, I have severe doubts about Chicago's ability to turn the trick. But I am still rooting for the Bulls.

Hi, sports fans.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Laughing Last..

In the immortal words of SNL's Chico Esquela, "Hockey, I don't know, basketball, I don't know, biesbol ben bery , bery good to Chico."
    I just can't get into the nba playoffs this year, don't know why.
    LOS ANGELES
    ANGELS
    OF ANAHEIM
    WHAT A STUPID NAME

CALIFORNIA ANGELS FOREVER

Baseball is our religion
    The stadium our cathedral
    Beer and peanuts our sacrament

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

The NBA playoffs, and the Stanley Cup playoffs are nearing their end. Quite frankly, I can't tell you whose in the lead in either case. I am not that much a sports fan that I care about those sports once my team is eliminated.

The Bulls did pretty well this year, and well the Blackhawks exited early in their hope to repeat as Stanley Cup champs. Nobody does that anymore, so I wasn't too upset.

I am watching the Belmont Stakes today. I guess the main question is: Will either Animal Kingdom, or Shackleford win, and take 2 out of three in the coveted triple crown horse races?

Oh yes, by the way, I agree with Zambrano. The Cubs stink.

Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    The NBA playoffs, and the Stanley Cup playoffs are nearing their end. Quite frankly, I can't tell you whose in the lead in either case. I am not that much a sports fan that I care about those sports once my team is eliminated.
    For the record, as it stands today Dallas and Vancouver are one victory away from titles.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I caught up with the end of the Stanley Cup Finals, just in time to see Boston play two great games, and ultimately win the Cup. I guess that I kind of jumped on the Boston bandwagon. My main reason was because Boston is one of the original 6 hockey teams. They have been around for a very long time. They hadn't won the Cup in 39 years. They rose to the occasion, and beat Vancouver. Can't say that made me too sad, since it was Vancouver that eliminated the Blackhawks in the first round.

I don't hate Vancouver, it's just a friendly anymosity. Chances are I won't remember all of this in 6 months. As sports go, I don't have a photographic memory the way some men seem to have. They seem to remember every minute detail of a game.

Congratulations to the Bruins.

Vancouver played their hearts out, and they don't deserved to be embarassed by the people who have taken their frustration to the streets of their city.

Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Vancouver played their hearts out, and they don't deserved to be embarassed by the people who have taken their frustration to the streets of their city.
    Shame on the relative handful of people that have given Vancouver a black eye by their criminal actions. People who do that kind of thing are not fans, they are thugs...and I hope they get the book thrown at them.

Congratulations to both the Boston Bruins, and the Dallas Mavericks.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Shame on the relative handful of people that have given Vancouver a black eye by their criminal actions. People who do that kind of thing are not fans, they are thugs...and I hope they get the book thrown at them.
    Thank-you for acknowledging that this disturbing event was not reflective of the majority of Vancouverites. I can assure you that the reaction in BC has been widespread disgust.

This may have been inevitable, win or lose. Some people actually brought gas masks and tools with them, for the sole purpose of setting cars on fire. Certainly some people. fueled by alcohol, testosterone, and disappointment, got caught up in the moment, but this riot was started by a group of people who had a specific plan, and pre-mediated intent, to cause mayhem.

One of the good things happening, is that photos and videos of the mayhem is all over the net. Facebook and other social media is being used to identify the criminals. Some idiots are publicly describing their own actions, essentially turning themselves in. The Premier made it clear: "you will be caught, and your friends, family, and employer, will know what you did". Let's hope that happens.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

The weather is extremely hot in Chicago today. Temperatures are expected to stay in the 90's all week. I have been sitting here today thinking about growing up in Chicago, and how we didn't have airconditioning in our houses/apartments back then. I was born in 1947. I was about 10 years old, when we moved about a mile away from Wrigley Field. I wasn't a Cubs fan back then, but I did like baseball.

We would play it a lot. My brother actually taught me the game. Us girls would meet in the schoolyard, and play either softball, or grab a few white rubber baseballs, and play until we got tired and hungry, or the boys decided to try and chase us off the schoolyard baseball diamond. Days like today happened a lot. The schoolyard ground was as hard as a rock. No grass to slide into, no fancy bases, or even dugouts, or benches on which to sit. However, we always had fun. I liked to pitch. I didn't run very well, but if I hit the ball well enough, I could usually make it to first or perhaps even 2nd base.

The Cubs were terrible back then. Some days, my sister, younger brother, and I would ride our bicycles down to Wrigley Field, and ride around the park. This was especially fun on days when the Cubs were playing. We always hoped that a ball would come our way. It never did of course. Attendance was lousy back then. This was years before the 1969 team played, and almost made it to the Series.

Heat. Baseball. Kids. I think about those things as I now sit here in my airconditioned house. The Cubs are lousy again. The team draws better now despite the product on the field. However, I rarely see kids out on their bikes, or playing a friendly game of baseball in a neighborhood schoolyard. Some things don't change, but some things are gone, and not likely to ever return.

Not the heat though. It would be a good day to walk to the beach. I did a lot of that as a kid, on a day like today. Kids don't do that much anymore either here in Chicago.

Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The Angels inducted Gene Autry into their team Hall of Fame last night. Nolan Ryan was scheduled to throw out the first pitch, but couldn't come because of his recent hospitalization in Texas.

Hopefully they can win tonight, and slow down the Rangers before they escape from sight in the AL West.

Hello, sports fans.

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

I loved watching Gene Autry on television when I was a kid. Being from Chicago, I don't associate him with baseball. Just cowboy movies.

Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I loved watching Gene Autry on television when I was a kid. Being from Chicago, I don't associate him with baseball. Just cowboy movies.
    After he finished with records and movies, he became quite the businessman. He bought radio and TV stations all along the West Coast.

His flagship for Golden West Broadcasters was the old legendary 710 KMPC, which actually had the Dodgers in 1960 but Walter O'Malley said he wanted the Dodgers on a station which had a better signal. So when the American League said they were expanding into Los Angeles in 1961, Gene went to the league meetings just to get the radio rights for the new major league Angels.

He left those meetings, owning the franchise...which he owned until his death in 1998.

By the way, one of his pals told him about a place called Anaheim. His name was Walt Disney.

Many nights at the Big A, when Gene was in attendance, there would be a message to that effect on the scoreboard, the organist would start playing Tumblin Tumbleweeds, and Gene would lean out of his booth in the press box and wave his cowboy hat to the crowd.

Memories.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Has Carlos Zambrano really retired? The Cubs seem to think he has...for the next 30 days at least.

What does he have in common with Brett Favre?

Both are professional athletes who throw a ball with great accuracy

And both last played for teams in the midwest, and both are wondering about their self-proclaimed retirement.

In regard to Zambrano, its just another case in my opionion of a multi-million dollar talent with a ten-cent head.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Good morning sports fans!

Can't get excited about NFL preseason games. I'll be there two weeks from Thursday (September 8) when week 1 starts.

Til then I'm wrapped up in baseball, and hoping the Angels can get back in the AL West race.

Have a magical sports day!