Page 63 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1338536061626364656673 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Stop By, and Say Hi, Sports Fans!

Sorry about my lack of sport's interest Barry. I just can't get excited about any of my Chicago Sports teams. I did have the Bears football game on last night, but I admit to not paying much attention.

Some people are still hoping the Sox can make the playoffs, but I don't really see that happening.

The Cubs are starting over, again. Do I miss Zambrano? No, not at all. Not surprised at the firing of Jim Hendry.

I do need to get down to the ballpark with my camera though, when I come back from my Wisconsin Dells vacation. I want to take pictures of the two new statues that I haven't seen. I also want to check out the new location of the Harry Caray statue. That was moved last year.

Sports is supposed to be a pleasant pastime, and when it isn't then I tend to watch less and less.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My newspaper is full of stories about the Bears, and Brian Urlacher. His mother passed away very recently, and yet he is expected to play football today. Some fans understand the need to get back out on the field and play football. Others wonder about the reasoning behind that.

This makes me think about the passing of my own brother. He died in 1994. His funeral was held on the day that his boys bowled in their weekly bowling league. Many thought it disrespectful that after the funeral the family headed off to the bowling alley just like they always did. My nephews replied, "dad would have wanted it that way". Perhaps. Yet, I recall my sister in law saying, "it was weird". "There was a strange feeling about it". Of course there was. The body, and the soul, need time to process the loss. I am sure the boys went through the motions of bowling, and with each ball thrown their thoughts were of their dad.

I am sure Mr. Urlacher will play football and with each play his thoughts will be of his mom. It can't be any other way. We need to process the loss, a little bit at a time, until eventually, it's a little easier to bear.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Ozzie Guillen has been announced as the new manager of the Florida Marlins. Not a surprise to anyone here. Now Ozzie can buy that boat he has been wanting. 4 years is a lot of time to go sailing.

I am looking forward to watching some Blackhawk hockey.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My younger son would always tell me "you don't want to know mom". He responded this way when he knew that I would be disappointed about something that he had done. When he was a young teenager, I would make him tell me the truth, and most times he did. As he got older, I wouldn't press the issue.

I thought of that today, as I read the latest news about Walter Payton. I'd rather not have known what I read today.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Today I enjoyed the news in my Chicago SunTimes about how the Chicago Bears were invited to the White House. It was early 1986 when the Bears won the Super Bowl. I remember enjoying that game very much. I also remember becoming sick with either a cold or the flu that very day. 2 days later I was resting, and listening to WGN on my small radio when the news of the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion came over the airwaves.

I am glad they finally got their celebration at the nation's capital. Some stayed away for their own reasons. This sports fan is glad they got to celebrate even if it was 25+ years after the fact.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

With the hiring of Theo Epstein the Chicago Cubs are cleaning house big time. I understand that it's a totally new era for the Cubs. A new owner. A new president in charge of baseball operations. We will get a new manager. Many new players will take the field. The Ricketts family have the desire to make many changes to Wrigley Field, if they can put there heads together with the city to help fund the project.

All in all it sounds really good if it helps the Cubs finally win a World Series.

I just hope I recognize the team, if/when it finally happens.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Bears won today. That's 5 games in a row. However, did Jay Cutler, really break his thumb today?

The Cubs hired a new manager. I can't pronounce his last name, but his name will become a household word in Chicago if he does what the owners are expecting him to do. A three letter word - Win. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

This thread needs some attention.

I ventured out in the Chicago cold, and took some photos at Wrigley Field. I would have gotten more, if I had checked my camera batteries, before I left my house.

Congratulations to Ron Santo for making it into the Hall of Fame. It's a real shame that the man did not live to hear those words.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I guess it's official. I haven't actually read my sports page today, but Carlos Zambrano is going to the Florida Marlins. It should be interesting to see how well he pitches for that team, and for his new manager, Ozzie Guillen.

• Infinitized!

Congrats to the Swedes for winning gold right here in Calgary at the IIHF 2012 World Junior Hockey Championships. Great game 1-0 OT against the Russians. I got to see a lot of the teams practice, including the Swedes, at work.

Congrats to Russia for winning silver, and the home team for winning bronze as well.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Hockey is exciting to watch in person. I went a few times to Blackhawks games when they were in the old building. Then as my kids got older, I told my husband to take them, instead of me. Especially when the number of tickets were limited. My kids are still big hockey fans. My husband played some hockey, even into his 20's. They used to rent a hockey rink late at night, and play. The fees were cheaper then. My younger son wanted to play for a while when he was a teenager. Unfortunately, he didn't have too much talent in that regard. My older son was better in the sport of field hockey, but he never learned to ice skate. Hockey is actually an expensive sport for the kids, compared to basketball, soccer, or even baseball.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Lin-sanity has added some excitement to the NBA regular season. But Jeremy Lin still has played just a handful of games. To hear some people talk, he should be in the Hall of fame. Please.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting in the sports thread Barry. I sometimes fear the inactivity will shut us down. Now that Kathy and Sean are nearing their move to higher ground, I hope to be able to return to a more normal existence which should include a lot of sports following.

Although the Cubs, and the Sox both seem to be starting over. Will the process be fun, or painful to follow? Time will tell.

• Infinitized!

Watched the St. Louis Blues practice at work today. It was great timing, during my afternoon coffee break.

Hello fellow sports fans!

I guess I can't contribute that much to this topic, because I'm not a big fan of American sports. Being from Europe, I'm more into soccer and Formula 1.

I've seen one American Football College game during my time in the US, but I'm sorry to say that, it was so boring.

Last year I watched some NASCAR races on TV, but I didn't like it that much. For me Formula 1 is better, especially since the Austrian Red Bull Company has its own team.