Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Re: Why do you like the sports teams that you like?

Well, like a few others, I'm a Minnesota Sports fan, Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Wild as well as the Golden Gopers, specifically the men's basketball team. The first four are obvious, but the Minnesota basketball team will forever hold a special place for me since my dad and I would go to almost every single home game from the time I was 3 til I went off to college. My senior year of high school was 1997 and Minnesota was ranked No. 3 in the nation and was a No. 1 seed in the tournament, we went to Kansas City together to watch the team and then even went to the Final Four. I don't care that that team was disqualifyed later on, I still have those memories.

I also love my alma mater, Arizona State. While in school, I worked for the Suns, Diamondbacks and Coyotes and went to some Cardinal games, so I have that bond with the AZ teams and I also have a bond with the Boston area teams as my sister has lived in New England for over 10 years and my brother in law is from Boston. Plus, Boston has all of Minnesota's former stars. Randy Moss, Kevin Garnett and David Ortiz.

One more, I like the Colorado Rockies as well, when they started up they had a lot of connections to the Twins. I also like the New Jersey Devils, since once the North Stars left Minnesota, I had to find a new team and they're the ones I followed until the Wild came along.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Jedimyndtryx View Post
    I also want to add that I can get pretty heated listening to all these smack talkers ( Padres, Giants, Angels, Chargers, Cowboys, Raiders, UCLA, Kings, Clippers fans). I dont hate your teams. I just hate the fans! LOL.

Damn, I'd rather have you hate the team rather than me.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I like the Detroit Tigers because I grew up a fan. My parents both loved the team since they were kids as well, so it was only natural.

Detroit Red Wings... MI native, gotta support the home team.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I didn't like football much until the Bucs took it to the Superbowl in 2003. They were such an exciting team to watch and I got hooked. Now I watch them play every weekend. People ask me why I don't like the Lions since I'm a MI native. 'Cos the Lions suck! They've always sucked. LOL!

• Circle of Ancients

49ers - Because of my Grandfather. When he moved to NorCal in the late 70's/early 80's he became a 49ers fan. Since he was the only father-figure I had, I wanted to be him. This meant becoming a 49ers fan.

Lakers - Showtime. Plain and simple. Magic, Worthy, Scott, Rambis, Abdul-Jabbar. Of course I don't care for the current lakers players that much (with the exception being Derek Fisher) so I don't root for them as much as previous years. (I miss Shaq)

Dodgers - Steve Sax was my favorite player growing up. Growing up in LA in the 80's I guess you had to love the Dodgers. As I got older though I did start liking the Angels as well.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The Dodgers were better in Brooklyn.

• Hiding in the shadows

As you will see...there is an underdog theme with many of my teams...

Football...Cincy Bengals, I was 8 (so 27 years), and I assume I liked their uniforms, I still love them to this day.

Baseball...I support the Cubs, because Hubby is a Cubs fan (so 12 years). I also like the Angels, but I don't realy have a team I woudl call "mine"

Basketball...We are huge Clipper fans, I am not certain what lead us away from the Lakers to the Clips but hubby and I have been big fans for about 8 years.

College Football...USC, mostly because I had a die hard UCLA friend and I always took USC against him and just became a fan. Probably been about 15 years now.

College Basketball...Gonzaga. I have supported them ever since I can remember.

A little piece of heaven

• Done and Gone

The big team in my life is the Dodgers. This has been handed down to me from my grandfather, who took me to my first game and many others as a kid with tickets he would do yard and handyman work to get. Needless to say they were special to him and became special to me too.

My grandfather saw some exhibition games in Cuba before coming here in 67 and even saw Tommy pitch once. So our ties go back many years. He is going on 86 this year and still going strong, and needless to say, still waiting for another nice season. So its Dodger blue, through and through for me.

I like most of my teams because of local connections. I grew up in Winston-Salem, NC so I love all things Wake Forest.

Love the San Antonio Spurs because of Timmy Duncan.

Love the Carolina Panthers because they are the local team. Wasn't big into pro football until the franchise was started in the 90s. I just couldn't bring myself to pull for the Falcons or the Redskins, which many around those parts did before the Panthers.

Love the Atlanta Braves because that is the closest MLB team to NC. I've loved them all the way back to the awful years.

I'm now a Texas A&M fan because I married an Aggie. The Big 12 is fun, but the ACC will always be home to me!

And of course, my alma mater - Appalachian State University. GO APPS!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12