Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Why do you like the sports teams that you like?

So why do you support the teams that you support? Tell us how long you have been a fan of the teams that you like.

In my case, it's strictly the local thing. I support all the Chicago Teams. I am mostly a baseball gal, but I also watch a lot of Bears games. I admit to watching basketball, only when Michael Jordan ruled the game. I guess that makes me a fair weather basketball fan. My kids and I watched a lot of hockey back in the 70's. I don't watch hockey too often anymore. I root for both the Sox, and the Cubs. Because I live on the Northside, I guess I am more a Cubs fan.

Tell us your story. It has to be much more interesting than mine.

• Minion

Re: Why do you like the sports teams that you like?

Well to be fair I am not a huge sports fan in general. I watch gams if they are on or if someone else wants to but I can often take it or leave it.

However I am a Cubs fan because of the purity of it. We know that they aren't gonna win, we know they are going to lose (frequently in a bizzare manner), we know they are going to break our hearts.

But we still love em, and we still hold out hope every year. For me there is something special in being part of a group like that. Almost Disneyesque
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• no flash photography...

I have been a fan for 10+ years....when I started getting into baseball and what's not to like? They're the Yankees......yes, I know people are jealous...I mean hate them because of how good they are and they money they spend to be that good, but w/e....that's not a reason for me not to like them.

I also LOVE NY. I tend to like AL teams. I don;t ever root for NL teams....oh, maybe once. I did root for the giants when they were playing the angels.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Angels and USC Trojans: They are the local teams. Why would I support a team thousands of miles away?

Raiders: Born and raised in Oakland CA. And sometimes it is fun to be a rebel.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

I know mine is no secret.

My dad started taking me to Angels games when I was a kid. My first memory of being at Angels game is cheering so loudly someone rooting for the other team told me to shut up.

I'm from Southern California and with the exception of college (I went to college in a state with no professional sports teams), I've been here - so like Princess Y said, I don't see the logic in rooting for a team that is hundreds or thousands of miles away. It's always been the Angels.

I do sometimes root for teams temporarily ... like the Saints after Katrina or for the Avalanche and Bourque when he finally won a Stanley Cup.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJenn View Post
    I do sometimes root for teams temporarily ...
    Oh yeah, I do that too, usually during playoffs. Like right now, I'm rooting for the Indians.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Oh yeah, I do that too, usually during playoffs. Like right now, I'm rooting for the Indians.
    looks like they may win, in that case I will be rooting for the red sox.

• For old time sake

Baseball- Angels- Local team...i grew up in Anaheim. Like IJenn, I used to go to games as a kid...and yeah i yelled and such too Jenn

Football- Carolina Panther's. This was strictly by accident. I was with someone who was a compulsive gambler and we bet on the Panther's during the playoff and then in the super bowl, I started to look into their stats, and such...and then fell in love with Jake Delhomme. Such a nice guy....actually Steve Smith is a super nice guy too. Talked to Keary Colbert on the ophone about a yr and a half ago.....

Basketball-none....but I do enjoy March madness, and going to Duke games!!!!! Coach K is pure class.

Hockey- No preference, but I was happy to see the Ducks win this yr.

NASCAR- Dale Earnhardt Jr. He's just so cute.

i have to say i love when the "underdog" team gets to the playoffs. Like the Indians this yr, Tigers last yr......I love seeing a team who deserves to win a WS, Super Bowl, etc wins because it gets tiresome having the same teams win all the time. I was happy for the Sox when they won even though I can't STAND them.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

When the Cubs went to the playoffs in 1984, I wasn't really into football. Yes, I know, the Cubs are a baseball team. However, since I was listening so much to WGN, during the 1984 season, I happened to be listening the day that the Bears drafted William Perry. I remember starting to watch the Bears. I really got into football that year, and my luck was that it was the year that the Bears went to the Super Bowl and won it.

I never paid attention to football growing up. My brother liked it, but I directed all my attention to baseball as a kid.

My brother was a Chicago Cardinals' fan. That was because we visited my cousin on the southside of Chicago, and that's the team he rooted for. My brother stayed loyal to the Cardinals til' the day he died. He followed them from Chicago, to St, Louis to Arizona. He even saved up thousands of dollars, so he could listen to them on a huge sattelite dish that he bought.

So sometimes you end up rooting for a team miles away, because they move away.

• Delawarean Girl

My reasons are the self personal and the poorest way to love a sport team.

I normally love teams, that are in places where I would most love to live. Like where the Angels are.

I cheer for the local teams- Vikings football for where I grew up, Wild hockey, and Twins baseball (if it crosses my radar anyway); here, it's Kings hockey. I kind of like the Chargers football.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Tui's Brother

Since I am from Minnesota, I like all the teams here. The Twins, Vikings, Wild, and the Timberwolves.

I am a Cubs fan to, because when I was little, I went to a Cubs game. A pitcher even came up to me and gave me a ball.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

As a kid, our family barely had a pot to pee in. My Dad would take me to the Angels game in the 7th inning when they opened the gate. So at least I'd get to see the last 2 innings! When I was around 11, there would be $1 general admission and my buddy and I would ride our bikes about 6 miles to catch a game.

Great memeories, cemented my love for the halos.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Well i watched my first chicago cubs game when i was about six months old on my grandfather's knee and been with them ever since.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

Wow, great topic!!!

Dodgers = Man, I remember my grandparents taking me to Dodger games and watching them beat the Giants on TV. I remember Fernandomania and sitting in left field for Game 1 of the '88 World Series. The Dodgers are my Dodgers, so many memories and so much history to the team. It means so much to me being able to take the family to Dodger Stadium and enjoy a game eating Dodger Dogs, cheering on my "Doyers".

49ers = My mom was a big Joe Montana fan. I was never a big Raiders fan like everyone else in L.A. LOL. People thought I was weird when I came to school in my new SF Starter jacket. I always supported the Niners from the Super Bowl wins in the 80's to Steve Young's curtain call in SBXXIX. Even today, I spend the majority of my day at work defending my team from all the dang Cowboys and chargeless Charger fans.

Lakers = I remember going to a game when I was little with my mom and her BF at the Forum. We sat pretty high up and I didn't know much about basketball.
    My mom's BF then started telling me about the team and about "Magic".Since then I started watching their games and cheering on Magic and the rest of the Showtime Lakers. Today, I get so pumped up watching Kobe play the game. He is electrifying. Even though he is a big baby, I cant help but go nuts watching him do his thing.

Trojans = I only started being an SC fan a few years ago when my buddy got tickets to the UCLA game and I saw how MANY people were there at the Coliseum watching the game. It was amazing. I hadn't seen so many people since we went to the Mexico vs USA soccer match. When we went to this year's Idaho game, I brought along my son and I think he got caught up in the hype and wanted an SC hat. Now he wants to go there. So, I love the fact that my 8 yr old is thinking of what school he wants to attend. I'd be so proud to be be an SC dad.

I also want to add that I can get pretty heated listening to all these smack talkers ( Padres, Giants, Angels, Chargers, Cowboys, Raiders, UCLA, Kings, Clippers fans). I dont hate your teams. I just hate the fans! LOL.

Check out my Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joe_e_audio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast