Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Posts
    13,137

    Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Dodgers at the Coliseum? For a day, maybe

    The team is exploring the possibility of playing a game next season in the stadium it called home from 1958 to 1961.

    By Bill Shaikin
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    2:11 PM PDT, October 25, 2007

    BOSTON -- The Dodgers could hit Moon Shots for a day next spring.

    As they celebrate their 50th season in Los Angeles, the Dodgers are exploring the possibility of staging one game at the Coliseum next year. The Dodgers shared the stadium with USC, UCLA and the Rams for four years, after they moved from Brooklyn in 1958 and before Dodger Stadium opened in 1962.

    "We're in the process of seeing if we can pull this off," Dodgers spokeswoman Camille Johnston said Thursday.

    Coliseum General Manager Pat Lynch said the Dodgers inquired about the availability of various dates during the regular season as well as spring training.

    "They can do whatever they want, as long as we're able to play football in the fall," Lynch said.

    The quirky field dimensions that result from squeezing a baseball field onto a football field make it more likely that major league officials would instead sanction an exhibition game there. The Dodgers and Angels cut the annual Freeway Series exhibition slate from three games to one next spring, leaving the Dodgers with open dates March 28-30. The Boston Red Sox could be available then, stopping in Los Angeles on their way back from their scheduled March 22-23 series in Japan.

    The Coliseum field is 304 feet in width, according to the stadium website. When the Dodgers played there, the left-field foul pole stood 250 feet from home plate, and to compensate the Dodgers erected a 42-foot screen in left field. Dodgers outfielder Wally Moon developed a proficiency for hitting home runs over the screen, dubbed "Moon Shots."

    In Boston's Fenway Park, the left-field foul pole stands 310 feet from home plate, with the "Green Monster" wall rising 37 feet above left field.

    The Dodgers set attendance records at the Coliseum that stand to this day. On May 7, 1959, an exhibition between the Dodgers and New York Yankees to honor injured catcher Roy Campanella drew 93,103, the record for any major league game.

    In 1959, the Dodgers and Chicago White Sox attracted 92,706 for Game 5 of the World Series, a postseason record. Sandy Koufax started that day -- and lost, 1-0.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 11-12-2007 at 04:47 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Illadelph
    Posts
    7,560

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Not gonna happen.

    Major League Baseball doth objecteth to the dimentions.

  3. #3

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,638

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    Not gonna happen.

    Major League Baseball doth objecteth to the dimentions.
    Why not? It looks like this is going to be an exhibition game so it shouldn't matter.

    What stinks is that the Freeway Series is only going to be one game this year which I find incredible since this series packs both Angel and Dodger stadiums for each game.

  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Illadelph
    Posts
    7,560

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Exhibition or not, there are more reasons than you think.

    First, as previously said, MLB will put the ixnay on this. Second, the Coliseum commission will not allow it because it would ruin the field. Last, the neighborhood has changed since the Dodgers last played there in 1961.

    End of story.

  5. #5

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,963

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    MLB allowed major league games to be played in Monterey, Mexico. I'd rather play at the coliseum and you bet it's possible for an exhibition game.

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Illadelph
    Posts
    7,560

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Yeah, but Monterey, Mexico or Honolulu, Hawai'i were extreme cases for the Padres as they asked MLB to play there for different reasons, the most notable being in 1996 when the Republican National Convention was in San Diego. In addition, they have played in Japan to open past seasons.

  7. #7

    • Bring Me Two Piña Coladas
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Aples Center
    Posts
    3,022

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    I say do it! For the sake of history and nostalgia!!!

    If only wrigley field 2 was still around lolol
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."


  8. #8

    •   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not quite here.
    Posts
    21,324

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    Exhibition or not, there are more reasons than you think.

    First, as previously said, MLB will put the ixnay on this. Second, the Coliseum commission will not allow it because it would ruin the field. Last, the neighborhood has changed since the Dodgers last played there in 1961.

    End of story.
    You speak with the confidence of someone who knows what nobody else knows. What is your source?

    Why would MLB put the ixnay on it?
    Why would the Coliseum Commission oppose it. They've allowed all sorts of events there, including motocross.
    What does the neighborhood have to do with it? They play baseball games in all sorts of neighborhoods, and believe you me, it was a lousy dangerous neighborhood even in the 1960's.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

    Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

  9. #9

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Why would the Coliseum Commission oppose it. They've allowed all sorts of events there, including motocross.
    What does the neighborhood have to do with it? They play baseball games in all sorts of neighborhoods, and believe you me, it was a lousy dangerous neighborhood even in the 1960's.
    Speaking of lousy and dangerous...how about the good old Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Comission itself...one the most ignorant and inept groups ever put together.

    Because of their collective short-sightedness, they lost the Lakers, Kings, Rams and Raiders among other tenants over the years. So the heck with them.

    With all due respect, mouseinphilly, can't see why anyone would possibly object to an exhibition game there. What great PR for the game that would be.

    And football games wreck baseball fields, not the other way around - as Angel fans who remember the Big A of the 80's and early 90's will tell you.

    I'm all for the Dodgers-Coliseum idea.

    End of story.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  10. #10

    • Bring Me Two Piña Coladas
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Aples Center
    Posts
    3,022

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Speaking of lousy and dangerous...how about the good old Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Comission itself...one the most ignorant and inept groups ever put together.

    Because of their collective short-sightedness, they lost the Lakers, Kings, Rams and Raiders among other tenants over the years. So the heck with them.

    With all due respect, mouseinphilly, can't see why anyone would possibly object to an exhibition game there. What great PR for the game that would be.

    And football games wreck baseball fields, not the other way around - as Angel fans who remember the Big A of the 80's and early 90's will tell you.

    I'm all for the Dodgers-Coliseum idea.

    End of story.

    I agree, the commission is totally gone crazy, turning down numerous renovation proposals to bring it to current standards while maintaining the nostalgia of the venue.

    I get madder each time they bomb the next proposal. They're lucky that USC has no choice but to play their games there. Or else that and the Sports Arena would be leveled for another Downtown expansion project.
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."


  11. #11

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofygoof View Post
    I agree, the commission is totally gone crazy, turning down numerous renovation proposals to bring it to current standards while maintaining the nostalgia of the venue.

    I get madder each time they bomb the next proposal. They're lucky that USC has no choice but to play their games there. Or else that and the Sports Arena would be leveled for another Downtown expansion project.
    OFF TOPIC...

    My point is that they've always been crazy, dating back at least to the 60's...when Jack Kent Cooke got so infuriated with them that he did what they thought he was only threatening to do...building his own arena in Inglewood and taking the Lakers, and the then-expansion Kings with them.

    The rest, as they say, is sad Coliseum Commission history.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  12. #12

    • Bring Me Two Piña Coladas
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Aples Center
    Posts
    3,022

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    OFF TOPIC...

    My point is that they've always been crazy, dating back at least to the 60's...when Jack Kent Cooke got so infuriated with them that he did what they thought he was only threatening to do...building his own arena in Inglewood and taking the Lakers, and the then-expansion Kings with them.

    The rest, as they say, is sad Coliseum Commission history.

    To celebrate history, not only of the Dodgers, but baseball in itself, it would be only the right thing to have at least a exhibition game played there.

    It wouldn't count towards any records, rankings, etc... It would be a great 'throwback' game. Jerseys and all, just not the same bubble gum hehehe
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."


  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Illadelph
    Posts
    7,560

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Well the Sports Arena may be torn down soon now that the Trojans' basketball teams have a new on-campus arena, Galen Center. Then again, the Coliseum Commission has always been a group of eastbound ends on westbound horses.

  14. #14

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofygoof View Post
    To celebrate history, not only of the Dodgers, but baseball in itself, it would be only the right thing to have at least a exhibition game played there.

    It wouldn't count towards any records, rankings, etc... It would be a great 'throwback' game. Jerseys and all, just not the same bubble gum hehehe
    And if the game is played at night, they could honor the memory of Roy Campanella by having a re-enactment everyone light a match (or lighter, whatever) with the stadium lights turned out...I am told by those that were there that this was one of the great moments in SoCal sports history.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  15. #15

    •   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not quite here.
    Posts
    21,324

    Re: Dodgers to return to the Coliseum?

    It looks like the game is on. March 29, against the Red Sox.
    http://www.presstelegram.com/moresports/ci_7557823
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

    Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 50 yeas of the Los Angeles Dodgers
    By ALIASd in forum Sports Zone
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 04:29 PM
  2. Anyone going to Sunday's Dodgers-Phillies game?
    By Radiobarry in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 10:32 PM
  3. Anyone here going to Sunday's Dodgers-Phillies game?
    By Radiobarry in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 10:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •