Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You Place an Asterik by something in Sports

Don Shula was barking at the New England Patriots about the fact that they should have an asterik by the teams record if it should go undefeated. Due to the spygate scandal. This makes me wonder if you could place an asterik by a sporting event, recort or anything to do with sports what would it be and why?

For me the biggest asterik would go by the Houston Rockets back to back NBA championships in 1994 and 1995. The asterik would then mention that the Chicago Bulls star and greatest player ever Michael Jordan took two years off to play baseball. Before departing Jordan's Bulls had won 3 straight nba titles. Upon his return they won 3 more, had he stayed I dare say they would have won 8 straight and rivaled the Celtics teams.

• Banned User

Re: You Place an Asterik by something in Sports

But that's the whole reason why they don't rival the Celtics. Without Jordan they were nothing. If anything, the Bulls should have an asterisk next to their championships that says, "Really Michael Jordan's Championship. The rest of the team merely filled out the roster."

My biggest vote for any asterisk at all, however, would go like this.

Professional Sports.*

* Formerly involved athletics, feats of incredible sportsmanship and teamwork. Now, main focus falls on endorsement deals, record and/or film contracts and parole hearing outcomes.

• Banned User

How about:

Unbeaten National Champions*?

You know, teams that shafted others out of being number one because there were three (or more) college football teams with perfect records going into bowl games.

Example: The 1994 Nebraska Cornhuskers, who beat Miami (Florida) in the FedEx Orange Bowl. But Penn State beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl the very next day, and if I was a voter in the polls, Penn State would have gotten the first place vote over Nebraska because of a tougher schedule.

• Circle of Ancients

The only time I would be in support of an asterisk is if somebody cheated.

You can't take anything away from the Rockets, just because the Bulls didn't have Jordan. If anything, like was said above, that's more of knock on the rest of the Bulls.

Do you take away the Marlins championship since they pretty much bought it? How about the D-backs?

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy38 View Post
    Don Shula was barking at the New England Patriots about the fact that they should have an asterik by the teams record if it should go undefeated. Due to the spygate scandal. This makes me wonder if you could place an asterik by a sporting event, recort or anything to do with sports what would it be and why?

For me the biggest asterik would go by the Houston Rockets back to back NBA championships in 1994 and 1995. The asterik would then mention that the Chicago Bulls star and greatest player ever Michael Jordan took two years off to play baseball. Before departing Jordan's Bulls had won 3 straight nba titles. Upon his return they won 3 more, had he stayed I dare say they would have won 8 straight and rivaled the Celtics teams.

And what if Magic didn't leave the Lakers due to HIV? Bulls were over-rated. Celtics and Lakers have put the best all around teams out there the NBA has ever seen.

Shula can bark all he wants. Patriots were caught in game ONE of the season, against the Jets, who they would have slaughtered camera's or not. If anything we know for a fact they are not cheating since. Can't say that about any other team or any other year. And Speaking of Shula- we might have 2 perfect teams Patriots 16-0 and the Dolphins 0-16.

as FOR an asterik- two words- Barry Bonds.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

You know, teams that shafted others out of being number one because there were three (or more) college football teams with perfect records going into bowl games.

Example: The 1994 Nebraska Cornhuskers, who beat Miami (Florida) in the FedEx Orange Bowl. But Penn State beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl the very next day, and if I was a voter in the polls, Penn State would have gotten the first place vote over Nebraska because of a tougher schedule.
    Very good point. Not to mention the Nittany Lions were extremely talented with senior laden players. Kerry Collins, Ki Jana Carter and Kyle Brady. That team would have beaten Nebraska because of the balance they had.

The only time I would be in support of an asterisk is if somebody cheated.

You can't take anything away from the Rockets, just because the Bulls didn't have Jordan. If anything, like was said above, that's more of knock on the rest of the Bulls.

Do you take away the Marlins championship since they pretty much bought it? How about the D-backs?
    You do not take the title away from them but you can say statements like they bought the title. You are saying that is a knock on the Bulls, take the best player off of any championship team and see if they still win it. The Lakers with out Magic, no. The Rockets with out Hakeem, no. The Spurs with out Duncan, no. Fact of the matter is he was healthy in his prime and ready to go. The team had many pieces come and go during his reign. Horace Grant, Bill Cartwright, John Paxson, B. J. Armstrong, Toni Kukoc, Dennis Rodman, Steve Kerr and more. He was the star yes but the team was still solid as they made the playoffs with out him those other years. More than some teams can say when they lose their star.

And what if Magic didn't leave the Lakers due to HIV? Bulls were over-rated. Celtics and Lakers have put the best all around teams out there the NBA has ever seen.
    The Celtics and Lakers may have been the best all around team. The did not have the most wins ever in a season. Nor did they have the greatest player ever in their prime. Those two teams would play the Bulls very closely because Jordan would raise his games which in turn would raise his teammates. They would all have open looks etc making them better as well.

• MC State Comptroller

An asterisk on last years NBA Finals

2007 NBA Champions San Antonio Spurs*

Due to dishonest officiating and the actions of a big-headed, stupid, unjust, corrupt league president the San Antonio Spurs were able to defeat 2007's best NBA team, the Phoenix Suns, and proceeded to win the championship. This asterisk signifies that this years championship was not decided by play, but by the league president.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Banned User

Agreed. Tim Donaghy was crooked in that series. However, Commissioner David Stern didn't know about the whole point shaving scandal until the Feds broke it, and then he had no choice but to apologize to everyone publicly.

Also...the obvious:

Barry Bonds: 762 Home Runs*

We know what the asterisk is for by now, right?
    Last edited by mouseinphilly; 11-15-2007 at 05:43 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

As much as I hate the Spurs, you can hardly fault them for things the officials did.

As far as I'm concerned, right now the only asterisk I think needs to be there is for Bonds. In fact I think all mention of Bonds in any record book needs to be removed.

Let's not forget he also holds the single-season record for Home Runs.

At this point, Maris will probably get it back with the steroid use. LOL.

• MC State Comptroller

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    As much as I hate the Spurs, you can hardly fault them for things the officials did.
    I don't blame the Spurs, they were a good team, but they should not have won. My asterisk signifies that the Championship wasn't decided by on court play, but by dishonerable officiating and bad league leadership.

Just my opinion though!
    Last edited by sgtpeper; 11-16-2007 at 09:24 AM.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

The Celtics and Lakers may have been the best all around team. The did not have the most wins ever in a season. Nor did they have the greatest player ever in their prime. ...
    I don't know. Wilt wasn't quite past his prime when he first joined the Lakers.

As for a really deserving asterisk, I'll go with Colorado's 1990 NCAA football championship, which was based on an 11-1-1 record that included a win against Missouri that was "earned" with a touchdown on an illegal fifth down as the game ended.

Cornell (1940) forfeited when the same mistake gave them an illegitimate win. Colorado should have done the same.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

I don't know. Wilt wasn't quite past his prime when he first joined the Lakers.
    You are going to tell me the best player ever was the man who was the only 7 footer in the NBA when everyone else was 6' 8" or smaller. By the way he was listed at 7' 1" and 275 lbs. A man who in his basketball career shot 51.1 % from the line you are going to consider the best player ever. Go play against 11 7th graders and see if you cant be the best because of your height.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

You are going to tell me the best player ever was the man who was the only 7 footer in the NBA when everyone else was 6' 8" or smaller. By the way he was listed at 7' 1" and 275 lbs. A man who in his basketball career shot 51.1 % from the line you are going to consider the best player ever. Go play against 11 7th graders and see if you cant be the best because of your height.
    That's what I'm going to tell you.

Nate Thurmond, Walt Bellamy, Willis Reed, Bill Russell , and later, guys like Bob Lanier, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar all stood at least 6'9" to 7'1", but that's not even the point.

There were plenty of guys over seven feet tall in the 1960s. There were even a few who played in the NBA. However, they weren't any good. Wilt was the first seven-footer who had the grace of a point guard and shooting touch of a small forward. Generally, guys that tall were awkward and not good at basketball.

Wilt AVERAGED over 50 points per game one year. Guess whether anyone else is within ten points per game. He once scored 100 points in a game. He won 7 scoring titles and even more rebounding titles (he had more than a dozen games with 40+ rebounds, including an NBA record 55) and even an assist title. He was a 4-time MVP and won two NBA titles, even though, unlike his nemesis Russell, he never had more than 2 future Hall-of-Famers on his teams, and never had more than one HOF teammate in his prime. He was skilled enough to star for the Globetrotters before joining the NBA. He was probably fouled more than any player in NBA history but never fouled out himself even once. He averaged more than 48 minutes per game one season.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast