• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Sports Topics Of The Day

This is a thread for discussion of random topics as they pertain to sports.

There might be one topic some days, none on others, and more than one on some.

I will try to address particular issues not being specifically addressed in other threads.

To start with:

TOPIC: Will the New England Patriots run the table, and win the Super Bowl for a 19-0 season?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Sports Topics Of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post

TOPIC: Will the New England Patriots run the table, and win the Super Bowl for a 19-0 season?
    I believe that they will. They face under-500 teams for the most part through the end of the regular season.

I think that with the weapons Tom Brady has now, and the way their defense is playing, they are a cut above the rest of the league.

And I think that after "Spygate", Bill Bellichick has an even bigger chip on his shoulder than usual, and will have his regulars going full tilt every game.

Not that I want to see it happen, but I think that come early February, Don Shula, Nick Buoniconti, and their friends will just have to be content with their 35-year old memories.

What do you think?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I would love to see it happen if only so that my friend can finally win a Super Bowl ring that he so richly deserves.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    I would love to see it happen if only so that my friend can finally win a Super Bowl ring that he so richly deserves.
    But again the question? Will the Pats go 19-0, and obviously if they achieve that mark, win it all again?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My grandson's baseball team was undefeated for their season up until their very last game, which they lost.

It's very hard to go that many games without having a bad day. I say somewhere along they way they stumble.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    My grandson's baseball team was undefeated for their season up until their very last game, which they lost.

It's very hard to go that many games without having a bad day. I say somewhere along they way they stumble.
    Well, noone has ever done it...19-0 anyway....the '72 Dolphins went 17-0, back when the regular season was only 14 games long.

Their remaining regular season schedule...

at Buffalo
    Philadelphia
    at Baltimore
    Pittsburgh
    New York Jets
    Miami
    at New York Giants

On that list I see at least four blowouts...the Steelers and Giants are the only teams with a shot. But that's why they play the games.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

How do you feel about the umpires use of "instant replay" in baseball?

I would like to see it used during the post-season only, for questionable home runs, plays on the bases and at the plate, and on diving catches (was the ball "trapped" or not).

I think it's important that baseball adopt this technology to at least some degree.

Your thoughts? And feel free to still comment on the previos topics as well.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Shameless bump. I've provided two topics here, and would appreciate your "hot sports opinions" (bad sportstalk radio lingo from about ten years ago)...

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I think they will go 18-1, dropping a meaningless game late in the season.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

TODAY'S TOPIC 11/20 -

Here in Southern California and around the nation, more outstanding now-former newspaper sportswriters have left major market newspapers to work for TV or radio networks and/or websites. (To wit, J.A. Adande late of the Times and now with espn.com...Steve Bisheff, formerly of the OC Register, now a blogger and occasionaly on the air for ESPN Radio 710 AM...and the San Francisco Chronicle "Game Of Shadows" reporter now an "investigative reporter" for ESPN Television.)

Do you still read the sports page of the newspaper? Do you read the print or on-line edition. Has the place where you get most of your sports info changed in recent years?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I read the sports page almost everyday. I tried reading the sports online, but it just isn't the same. I am not the greatest reader, so there is just something better about having the printed page in front of me. My local paper is the Chicago SunTimes. I also watch a lot of sports coverage on television. However, I don't retain information very long like some people seem to.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

I almost always get my sports info from the web now. First of all, the Tucson paper's coverage is horrible. So I go between foxsports.com, espn.com, and the LA Times online. And a healthy dose of Sportscenter at night!

Earlier issues: I'm in favor of having instant replay, but it should be severely limited to issues like fair or foul with home runs, doubles or home runs close to the yellow line, things like that. I don't want them stopping play every time there's an argument at first base or whether the second baseman took his foot off the bag too early in turning a double play.

As for the Patriots, forget Brady, Belicheck, etc. The GM of that team did a great job putting together a monster of a team. That receiving corps of Moss, Stallworth, and Welker is tough to stop. I can see them going unbeaten. A lot depends on whether Belicheck slows them down once they clinch home field. I would say Pittsburgh has a good shot at taking them down and the Giants possibly. At work, we've been guessing that the one team to take them down will be Miami! It's hard to say because one bad week can stop the whole thing. I don't really care if they win all their games, but if they're going to lose one game, let it be in the playoffs so they're out!

• MC State Comptroller

Brady's having shoulder issues so who knows. If he stays in to keep the streak alive, then he may lose it for the team if he is not at 100%. But if he sits out a game the will probably lose because of it. It is a no win situation this year. I believe that they will go without as loss till the postseason, but may lose in the post. I guess we'll know in 3 months.

Instant replay in baseball? I can go either way. It's nice to have in very questionable calls and HR's vs fouls. But I don't think it is nesscary and could lead to abuse i.e. ball vs strikes.

I don't really read the sports page in my paper, but that's because my paper is horrible. It constantly has bad spelling and grammer and no jounalistic integrity. It also has no idea on how to do a page layout. Ends of stories are never where they say they are and are cut off with no conclusion. I get my sports from local news, ESPN and Yahoo.com.

To give RB a rest i'll suggest a new topic:

Cheating in Sports
    Should we, as fans, learn to accept all of the preformance inhancing, illegal gambiling, spying, in and out fighiting and other shamefull actions of our sports stars or should we demand, not only from them, but from the league heads and team owners, more accountibility and stiffer penalties when caught red handed.

With all the recent actions of these so called heroes, it saddens me to see the games that i love not be decided by competition, but by drugs, bad officiating, and other things that are just wrongs. I realize that owners and league heads are not going to be motivated by themselves, that we as fans who spend the money need to get the ball rolling, but what can we do? Or should we not do anything?

Discuss
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• no flash photography...

I read this yesterday. I thought for sure there would be a thread on it, but pitcher kennedy died over thanksgiving. He was only 28.

Sudden death of pitcher Kennedy stuns baseball world

John Lott , CanWest News Service

Published: Saturday, November 24, 2007
    TORONTO -- Veteran pitcher Joe Kennedy spent the last month of the baseball season with the Toronto Blue Jays. No one could have guessed it would be the last month of his career.
    Kennedy, 28, died early Friday while visiting his wife's family near Tampa, Fla. He felt ill Thursday night and went to bed early, then awoke at 1 a.m. and collapsed as he walked out of the bedroom, said Debbie Carter, a spokeswoman for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.
    He fell backward before hitting the floor, Carter said. She said she did not know whether he struck his head during the fall.

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Great thread Barry!!!

I did want to touch on the sportswriters topic. I loved reading JA Adande's articles in the LA Times and sometimes catching him on "Around The Horn" on ESPN. It was sad to learn that he wouldn't be with the Times anymore due to their "buy outs" that he and a few other wonderful writers were a part of. I'm glad he found a home at ESPN rather than some other markets newspaper where i'd have to search to find him!

Reminds me of Tim Brown when he left the LA Times and found a home at Yahoo! Sports....
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."